VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any demo/shareware/free versions of games with built in benchmarking utilities?

The only games I have with built-in benchmarking are UT and Unreal. I've already got 3dMark99, 2000, 2001 as well.
edit: I also have Quake which I'm running on the quakespasm engine. Seems to make for a decent opengl benchmark in Win98.

I tried the 2nd Descent3 demo and copied in the secret2.dem file into the demo folder, but I think that only works with the full version of the game because it kept telling me it was unrecognized. In fact, I couldn't get the demo to run the game at all. It would load into the menu, but hang when starting a new game.

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MDK2's demo has a decent basic benchmark facility which is exactly the same as the full version, and also gets the same version updates (to use display lists and to disable sound). It's OpenGL and works in every hardware generation i've tried it in, and scales very forward (supports hor+ widescreen and ultra hi-res). No multicore or hardware shaders of course

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

MDK2's demo has a decent basic benchmark facility which is exactly the same as the full version, and also gets the same version updates (to use display lists and to disable sound). It's OpenGL and works in every hardware generation i've tried it in, and scales very forward (supports hor+ widescreen and ultra hi-res). No multicore or hardware shaders of course

This one?
https://archive.org/details/Mdk2Demo

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks