VOGONS

First post, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently lucked out and found a new old stock Jetway MiniQ cube PC locally for $25 and decided to pick it up. But, while it works perfectly I'd like to pick up a beefier PSU to have for when I begin to do upgrades. However, the current PSU it has is an oddity to me and is of a form factor I've never seen before. I've attached some pictures of the internals and rear so you can get an idea of what it looks like and the mounting points. It's a strange design and the fan sticks out of the rear by about an inch.

Attachments

• inside top.JPG
    Filename
    inside top.JPG
    File size
    53.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • rear.JPG
    Filename
    rear.JPG
    File size
    43.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not looking to use a high wattage PSU in the 500+ range. Rather, I'd like something around 300-350w to at least have some actual overhead. The current unit is a 230w PFC supply made by Seventeam and model ST-231MZ if that helps anyone. It's almost like a Micro ATX SFX PSU in shape and size but smaller all around.

An ATX conversion is not only impossible due to the form factor (this case is sized like a shuttle PC, which means it's only a bit larger than a Gamecube), but would kill the portability and convenience factor which is why I bought it in the first place.

Reply 3 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea myself, but you could get away with using the stock PSU if you stick with a Geforce3 or Geforce4 I think. My dual Coppermine P3 with a Geforce4 ti4200 used a 250watt for years before I got it. Kinda out of my comfort zone personally but just saying it might be fine 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently wanting to use an ATI X1550 I have as it's the nicest AGP card I own and this rig is going to have a P4 Extreme Edition put in it at some point soon. A GeForce 3 or 4 would be fine as power consumption on those is pretty good. But, it would bottleneck the system for what I'm trying to do with it.

According to what I read online the X1550 card uses 27 watts, plus the 80-100 for the CPU (yay P4), and I have to find specs on my MOBO, HDD, floppy and disk drives. Max power from the PSU is 230w PFC according to several listings online for the unit.

Reply 5 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like a renamed Shuttle mini-pc. Those are proprietary PSU's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 8, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the looks of the internals, one suspects a 1U power-supply could be made to mount in the CD-ROM location. Of course that would mean one can't use an internal CD-ROM. But quality 1U power-supplies can be had for very little, often-times--I have an FSP 1U unit capable of 350W that I picked up for less than $15 a couple years back.

Could be an option.

Reply 7 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would try to work with the original PSU, recap it if necessary.

I cant find a good picture showing the max current on the rails but I think the 12V rail is 13A = 156W, confirm this by reading the sticker on your PSU.

If your P4 EE is a Socket-478 Gallatin it will probably top out at ~80W, If you use a singe HDD and a single optical drive thats another 10-20W.

Any video card using 50W or less will probably work, especially if the video card takes some of its power from the 3.3V and 5V lines. The X1550 use less than 50W and should work just fine, as long as the PSU is in good condition I would dare to try it.

I have benched a watercooled Gallatin @4GHz with an AGP Radeon X1950 Pro using an old Chieftec 300W PSU with a 12V rail specced at 204W.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.