VOGONS

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering what are the most rare and the most common voodoo cards? I am not thinking in submodel such as 1000/2000/3000 models. I am thinking of most rare/common cards in each primaery releases. As an example: of all the Voodoo3 cards ever produced, what are the most common models?

Lineup's that I am thinking of are: V1, V2, V3, V4 and V5... What model in each type are most common and what are most rare today?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1 of 59, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the Voodoo 5 6000 is objectively the ultimate thing, a couple hundred of them out there. The Quantum3D SLI-on-a-card V1's & V2's are pretty special things. No real idea about the relative rarities of the more common lines.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 59, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

Well, the Voodoo 5 6000 is objectively the ultimate thing, a couple hundred of them out there. The Quantum3D SLI-on-a-card V1's & V2's are pretty special things. No real idea about the relative rarities of the more common lines.

But.... V5-6000 was not really part of the lineup, as it is a beta/test/something. (I should have asked about released product's only 🤣)

Reply 3 of 59, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3DFX Rampage. No finished cards in existence as fast as I know, only a few unfinished engineering samples. Here's some pr0n of it:

DSCN5649.JPG
Filename
DSCN5649.JPG
File size
104.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Specs (don't know how accurate these are):

Clock Speed: 200-250mhz
Process: .18 µM
Transistors: 30 Million
Core Size: 10.6*10.6cm's
Die Size: 11.44*11.47cm's
Core Information: 18 clock domains, 14 core blocks
Pipelines: 4
TMUs per Pipeline: 1
Triangle Rate: 20 - 30 MT/s
Fillrate: 800-1000 MP/s
RAMDAC: 350mhz
Memory type: DDR
RAM per chip: 16-128MB
Memory Bus: 128bit
Memory Bandwidth: 12.8 GB/s
AGP standard: 4x

brostenen wrote:
firage wrote:

But.... V5-6000 was not really part of the lineup, as it is a beta/test/something. (I should have asked about released product's only 🤣)

You asked what the rarest things are and as far as I know, it's the V5 6000 and the Rampag 😀 Other then these, regular V5 5500 cards are pretty rare and expensive. Rush cards seem to be rare as well. 6MB Voodoo 1 cards are pretty rare, and there were those 2xVoodoo 2 SLi on a single board, and 2xVoodoo 1 SLi on a single board (I call them SLi on a stick) - those are rare...

Most common I'd have to say are voodoo cards made by Diamond and Creative, as well as STB - I've seen quite a few of those.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-01-26, 00:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 59, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of cards that were actually released, I have never seen a V4 locally. Where I am, the V1 seems to be the most common, but past that little experiment most people favored the Riva and you will almost never see a V2.

The V3 seemed to be moderately common in the early 2000s - though it was vastly outnumbered by Radeon and GeForce cards - so that would have sat somewhere in the middle, but I know from experience there aren't many around anymore; As you know, I was the poor bastard who got landed with replacing most of the ones we had because the local user base appears to have had a strong dislike for them. In that time I ran into V1 - V3 cards and I am pretty certain I scrapped one or two V5's too, but I never saw a single V4 for whatever reason, I don't even remember seeing them on sale either so perhaps nobody in the area ever stocked them.

Outside of this town, no idea, but I don't imagine it being much different in the rest of the UK. From what I've seen the V1 is certainly the most common here and later cards almost never show up. We do have a disturbingly high number of Matrox cards though.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 59, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V1 cards are very rare in Romania. They were very expensive when they launched and very few people wanted to pay that much to play the few games that supported glide exclusively back then. V2 cards aren't very common either, but they're around. V3 cards are the most common. V4 and V5 cards are EXTREMLY rare - even more so then V1's. I'd have to say the most common 3d accelerators in 2000 were by far are the Riva TNT2, and a few years later the Geforce 4 MX and the Radeon 9200 / 9250.

Reply 6 of 59, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In retail form I'd say the Voodoo 4 is the rarest, then the various Mac options and then the V5 5500.

In Australia there seemed to be a fair amount of Powercolor Voodoo 4s, I have a few of those.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 7 of 59, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not very many Voodoo 4s got into retail as they came out very close to the very end and there are more V5 5500s around. Rampage is very interesting and very sad that it never got finished as it would have likely given the company a little life at least for a while longer.

Last year or the year before I did see a few 1.5v compatible V5 5500 agp pop up on eBay that quickly vanished.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 59, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rarest but mass-produced? Probably Voodoo4 or Quantum Obsidian 440SB (the Voodoo1 version of Quantum Obsidian).

Most common? I don't know, Diamond Monster 3D II?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 59, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem is I can't speak for the rest of the UK as I am certain some slight regional variations exist. eBay is reasonably consistent with the local trend for other cards though. So far as I remember;

The V1 was vastly outnumbered by the Rage locally. Most people were noob or business users at the time though and just sat there with their S3/Matrox/Whatever in their cheap Time computer. The V1's and Rages were mostly from the small number of enthusiast, mostly comprised of a bunch of fat middle-aged guys who had no idea what they were doing and thought this "3D" was a fun experiment that would make them look cool. Only one store locally carried 3DFX cards - well, PC World probably sold them but it would have been an inflated price and nobody went there - in fact, I might still have price lists for several stores dating back to the late 1990s which demonstrate this. I would still say at least 90% of systems in this era didn't even have 3D cards, or cards that were barely 3D. In 1995 most computer owners in this city were still using 286-486 systems or 80s Micros like the Atari ST (Very popular) and were only just starting to consider an upgrade. Few of these people moved to Socket 5 machines and most held on long into Socket 7s lifespan.

In the V2 days the most common cards seem to be the Rage, Virge/Trio3D and Matrox Productivia, later SiS cards came into effect as Time really liked these along with the no-name brands which were starting to become more and more common, once again being bought by noobs who didn't know any better helping the SiS chips to thrive. Business systems often had either a Matrox Productivia or a Trio3D, some would use an ATI Magnum/Xpert though such as local Golding machines which ran CAD for a few local industries, their slower models used the Matrox. V2 cards are something I saw very little of and can only assume the sad middle-aged blokes never bought them, younger people seemed to be too busy with other things at that time and weren't really getting into it until the V3 was nearly here. Old people who bought computers seemed to like Tiny and these usually ran Virge cards. I honestly never encountered or heard of many people running V2s at all in this city. Met a guy at a LAN in the early 2000s and everyone was laughing at him - primarily as his Slot 1 Celery 266 was slow as shit anyway, not solely the outdated 3DFX board, but the whole system... They forgot about it when they realized my friend was running some modded Socket 5 machine. Strangely though a lot of new systems were bought in the V2 era, but mostly by noob users and these were generally Pentium MMX 166 boxes with little or no 3D at all, such users were happy with software mode. Enthusiasts who did get new systems in this era usually went with the Riva, especially if they wanted DVD capability and capture capability as this saved slots and offered good acceleration - the TNT M64 being a pretty common occurrence as a common consensus arose that 3DFX cards weren't something you wanted in your machine, the Rage held its place in the middle as a good trade-off for value/performance as well as offering that DVD capability some people wanted. There were also people holding off until Slot 1 got cheaper, knowing 3D cards would come down in price too.

Somewhere here, probably into the V3s life, there were a small percentage of people who bought PowerVR cards though this fizzled out quickly.

In the V3 days the SiS 6326 PCI was probably the best selling card of all. As more software required an accelerator and people wanted to watch DVDs on their PC. For the average know-nothing user these cards were cheap and they didn't care about the crappy frame rate, bugged textures or choppy DVD playback that much. Meanwhile the later TNTs and the GeForce 256 started selling very well as more enthusiasts showed up, the Rage was holding on somewhere in the middle but falling in popularity as the price of the nVidia boards dropped, people started jumping on the Radeon when it came along though because it offered a lot of bang-for-the-buck and didn't waste PCI slots like the old V2 did. Businesses still stuck with Matrox cards on some systems, though for 3D it was a very mixed bag at that time in that market and nobody seemed to know what to do, ATI still seeming favorable there. The V3 appears to have sold moderately well but nowhere close to the sheer number of late-model TNT cards, probably helped by the fact OEMs seem to have snapped the nVidia cards up quite quickly - not least of which, Advent and I believe also Tiny and Time. Most of the V3s that did get sold at this time were not installed long as software started moving away from supporting Glide well if at all, causing people to move to other cards quite quickly. Meanwhile ATI looked set to dominate the market as they were also well established in laptops at this time and it was clear they were about to blow nVidia out of the water: The smart man's money here was on waiting it out, as a CPU war was beginning and by extension, GPU technology would also accelerate rapidly, meaning better hardware and lower prices were just on the horizon.

V4 and V5 cards seem to be from the same time as each other and they never appeared anywhere. The card of choice for the hardcore user at this time was the Radeon 7500 as it simply beat everything else into submission. The GeForce 2 GTS actually didn't turn up too often and people seemed to favor the Radeon cards, the GeForce 2MX was the card for the enthusiast on a budget, switching places with the Radeon VE occasionally. The faster GeForce 2 models (Ti, Ultra) became more popular when the GeForce 3 arrived for some reason. For some other unknown reasons there were one or two die hard PowerVR people, some of them had to buy new computers instead of upgrading their existing one as they didn't want to sacrifice their PVR exclusive titles, so they had to keep their old machine to play them. By now most people didn't seem to know 3DFX were even there, or at least, that they had a new card around, plus DVD drives were now very cheap and people wanted a card which could decode them, something 3DFX were not known to be capable of. The small number of V5s I knew of were owned by very dissatisfied people who claimed they ran hot, sapped far too much power and did not perform quickly or stably. Having never owned one myself I cannot say if they were right or what the cards capabilities were, but the ones I had to change over sure looked ugly. It probably didn't help that, with its two GPUs it made people think of the ATI Rage Fury Max, ATI's attempt at sticking two GPUs on the same card hadn't worked well and, in fact, did not work at all in the latest OS - Microsoft Windows XP - giving the cards a negative connotation. Not to mention the sheer size of them in a time when IDE ports or RAM modules were usually, annoyingly, placed directly behind the AGP slot because MIDI-ATX cases had a tendency to have the CD Drive overhang the RAM, Power and associated caps if the board maker moved things further up the PCB, meaning it would be impossible to comfortably install the V5 to your motherboard in some cases. Many cheap cases even had the HDD cage here where it would be in the way of the card. But this is speculation as to why it didn't sell, I imagine a high price tag didn't help much either and computer component prices are inflated in the UK anyway (Not as bad as some other countries by far, but enough to make people think) so it was really doomed from the start. No idea where the V4 was in all of this and, as I say, never saw one, not even for sale in stores which did sell V5s. I remember said V5s ending up in the bargain bin by the end of 2002 and where they ended up at the end of it I don't know given they were still in the "MUST GO! CLEARANCE!" bin in December 2004 when I bought the last ISA NICs PC World ever sold... It's actually kind of sad. By now businesses were moving their 3D machines to Quadro cards where needed, but ever improving on-board video was proving to be good enough for lighter tasks in that environment and the common user who knew nothing was also happy to use this at home. Oddly, I think the Rage 128 was the chip of choice for servers at this time and for a great many years later.

By this time, with 3DFX out of the picture, my closest friends ran; Radeon 7500 later GeForce 4MX 420 - Me, knowing the 440 was more common but I couldn't afford one... GeForce 2 MX PCI - Tim's shitty modded Socket 5 K6 thing he kept until 2004 when he got a K7 with an FX 5900... GeForce 4 Ti 4800 - Derek's overpowered dual Xeon, most people preferred the 4600 which performed just as well if not better... Radeon 8500 - Charlotte's dual Coppermine in its final days before she moved to the Pentium IV, most people preferred Athlons but she was a girl so we let her off with it...

Not one of us had ever used a 3DFX device in these machines or the ones before - In my case, a Pentium MMX/SiS 6326. In Tim's case... Err... His same machine but with a Pentium 90 we thought (Was a strange machine). In Derek's case, I think an Athlon MP/GeForce 2 Ti and before that a Pentium III/Rage if memory serves me correctly. What Charlotte had before her PIII I have no idea, Celeron I seem to remember (I did look at it once as it was still in her closet) but I know it was Slot 1 and ran a TNT when it retired, I didn't like that machine, it was badly painted hot pink.

Past the V5 time and GeForce 2 days, the GeForce 4 Ti was the card to have while the 4MX filled the budget market well until the 6000 series came. I lost track past that point, finishing my K7 days on a Radeon 9200, then on my 775 running a FireGL V3100 briefly (Horrible card!) until moving to a 7300GS, to a 9600GSO, to a 260GTX and finally a 460GTX. 730GT being a likely candidate for the next machine. I know the 8800GT was popular for a time but I did not like it, finding the 8-series problematic. The Radeon 3870 was quite popular too and that was a nice card, as was the 5750 if not a little weak. It's funny though how the excitement of buying one never matches what it was back in those times, especially the Radeon 7500 days up to the 4 Ti days.

As I said, I have no idea if it was the same in all of the UK or even on the other side of town (though I suspect it was, given most of the shops are over there) but the systems I worked on, the people I met and the places I went, this was what seemed to be happening.

Reply 10 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HighTreason, excellent story! And it sound quite similar to what I've seen myself.

I noticed higher amounts of the Diamond Rendition 2100s though, for some reason it seemed to have made quite a lot of sales here in The Netherlands.
Voodoo 1 and 2 were also quite popular. When Voodoo 3 got sold, the people who would buy it were often people who were either just fanboys (because these cards supported Glide) or simply the more loyal 3DFX customers (that had used a V1 or V2 previously).
I think V3 did make quite some sales here, but TNT/TNT2/GF was also very popular. Matrox was also quite popular (or at least before TNT2 or so).

Here in The Netherlands I noticed in my dumpsterdiving days that most graphics cards tended to be either Ati or S3 with some of the other cheaper cards mixed into the pool. The Ati ones were all kinds of variants of Rages or Mach64s and S3 would be anything from Trio to Virge or the older variants. Also somewhat common here were Rendition 2100s (the Diamond ones) and Voodoo 1s and Voodoo 2s and indeed I came across a couple SiS ones back then. I basically came across most of the cards from the systems I pillaged and that's why I have a lot of diversity in my collection, I basically found what people had bought years earlier. As back then graphics cards would be one of the first things removed, I'd only find a graphics card if I was the first one that found the system.

But in short: Back in those days, it seemed Ati and S3 had a biggest slice of the pie...now back to 3DFX.

V1 + V2 were quite common. The main reason why they even became more expensive is mostly because 'for some reason' demand managed to outpace supply when it comes to the Voodoo 2 boards.
Voodoo 3 was also relatively common (the PCI ones seemed to always be harder to find than the AGP models, but not by a superlarge margin. PCI 3k seemed to be non-existent though.

Voodoo 5 was always more rare here in The Netherlands. And Voodoo 4? This was the single most rare model over here, very few people will have bought one, V5 went to the market earlier I think. I don't know what the PCI/AGP ratio was, but I reckon (could be wrong though) that the AGP models outnumbered the PCI models, but not by a superlarge margin again. However, the PCI models were very slow to end up on the second hand market as I remember PCI graphics cards with >8MB being kept out of the second hand market because of their compatibility with newer systems (could be used as a test card for example) and because in those days PCI cards were a lot harder to come by and were way more expensive (especially as soon as it had 32MB or more).

I don't know about Banshee though, Meljor did mention he didn't find it very hard to find them (please correct me if I'm wrong 😉) but for some reason I always found it way easier to find Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3.

Obviously the 'speciality'-Voodoos were the most rare.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 59, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering that early 3dfx made only high end their market share was monumental- sometimes up to 25% of 3d accelerators.

HighTreason wrote:

In the V2 days the most common cards seem to be the Rage, Virge/Trio3D and Matrox Productivia, later SiS cards came into effect as Time really liked these along with the no-name brands which were starting to become more and more common, once again being bought by noobs who didn't know any better helping the SiS chips to thrive.

Was there better choice in that price range?

Reply 12 of 59, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which range? The SiS was dirt cheap, so probably not. Hey, I had no problems with those, they were cheap enough I was just happy that an image came out of the back of them, they usually did what they said on the box anyway. There may have been cheaper cards, but if there were I don't know about them off the top of my head.

The Rage was probably the best price/performance wise and sat in the middle. It wasn't great at anything but was more than passable at what it did. I was never a fan of the Trio3D though, seemed pointless as the Virge was around. If you were going to fork out for an AGP system you may as well have gone the extra few quid and got a Rage or something instead of a Trio3D. The Trio3D always seemed like an OEM's card to me and that seems to be where most of them came from. Whether the owner of the system knew it or not, they still contributed to making that card very common.

Reply 13 of 59, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Russia (specifically, Moscow) most cards I see are V2-s — they are arguably more common than most other mid- to late- 90s 3D cards. The next most popular will be V3, followed by V1 and V5. Haven't seen V4-s.

I would even go as far as to say that V1s may be even less common than V5, which is typical — there are barely any early 90s high-end parts in Russia. For instance, most Advanced Gravis and Roland MT-32s come from ebay resellers.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 14 of 59, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allthough Voodoo's are pretty hard to come by here in Denmark (yes, not easy)
I can only report what I have seen for sale, the most.

V1:
Orchid and Techworks cards are pretty common (2 orchid and 2 techworks were on sale in 2015)

V2:
4 x Creative, 1 x STB and 1 x Diamond. Have been on sale in 2015.

V3:
None other than one 3000-PCI and one 2000-AGP were on sale in 2015.

V4:
None for sale the last 5 years or more.

V5:
None for sale second hand at any time, that I have looked for used GFX cards since 2006.

Reply 15 of 59, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the history lesson Hightreason. Things went about the same over here. When I was a kid I barely saw any voodoo cards, and the ones I did see were voodoo 2 cards - but I have to say the budget card of choice in Romania were the Trio64 and the Cirrus Logic 54xx. DVD playback wasn't a thing back then, and even in 97-98 lots of people were running 486 computers. If any did run socket 5 or 7 machines, they usually ran a cyrix or AMD CPU.

3D Accelerators were only available for the masses when they came on board. In 99-2000 lots of shops were selling VIA MVP4 based super socket 7 solutions (on board Trident Blade 3D graphics) + K6-II CPUs or similar slot 1 / socket 370 builds with celeron CPUs. Most people did not understand the need for a dedicated video card, and most retailers did not bother to explain the benefits of a dedicated video card, and were just happy to sell lots cheap machines. In 2001-2002 the riva TNT2 M64 was the most popular 3d accelerator by far. In that time frame I saw very little geforce or radeon cards. In late 2002 up until early 2005 all you'd see is Geforce 4 MX cards and Radeon 9200/9250 cards. The odd radeon 9550 / 9600 would pop up now and again, as would the FX5200. Only enthusiasts and games would get newer 6600 cards / x700 / 7600 / x1600 cards, and most of those were still agp. In 2005-2009 I've seen LOTS of 8800GT or 8800GTS cards, but more then those lots of 3850 and 3870's. The radeon 4xxx series sold extremly well here, with GTX260 and 280 cards being very rare. Nvidia's 5xx series also sold but few people bought cards in the nvidia GTX 4xx / 5xx lifetime. Today people stick to their radeon HD 7950 or GTX 760 cards and very few upgrade because they have little reason too.

As for V4 cards.. the first one I've seen is the PowerColor Evilking IV I bought from a local 3DFX collector. I've never seen one in the wild, or in stores when they were new.

Reply 16 of 59, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most rare 3dfx... hmm. My vote go for Quantum 3D Obsidian SB-100 4440 + MGV 2D module. Definitely much less common than all kinds of VSA-100 boards (including V4 MAC)

Most common probably V3 2000 AGP.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 17 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you liked them or not, voodoo made an impact with the v1 and v2. A lot of people remember these (with good memories) and kept them around. I think that is a big reason why there are still that many today. Other reason ofcourse is they did sell a LOT of them, most of them when the initial high price was dropped and the brand was well known. V2 to sli was a nice upgradepath so that may be a reason too.
Performance was mostly on par with v3 while it was cheaper to just purchase another v2 as prices dropped further.

Banshees sold pretty well but aren't as common as v1, v2 and v3 now. Still was able to find 3 cards within a year locally, 2x agp and 1x pci.

Voodoo3 was their first big oem product and because tnt2 was a better card AND much better advertised the voodoo3 was fairly cheap (v3 2000) and sold well. Also a lot of oem systems like compaq/packard bell sold systems without an agp slot so the v3 pci was a good upgrade for those people and more common in stores so easy to get, just like the v1 and v2 as they were still around. I still remember this as agp was big and very few other pci cards apart from v3 pci were in stock here (besides the older v1 and v2)

Looking at what i can find today locally it is mostly v2 12mb cards, sometimes v1 cards (most are thrown away by now i guess) and also pretty common is the v3 3000 agp.

Voodoo5 has never been really cheap but ofcourse prices are a lot higher now than a few years ago. They do not come by often. Not long ago i got very lucky on a v5 pci and v5 pci mac but haven't seen one ever since for sale here.

Voodoo4 must be the rarest and it should, there was NO reason to buy one when new because geforce 2mx was cheaper and stomped it. I waited for the v4 but was very dissapointed and also bought the gf2mx.
I have 2 now in my collection but had a very hard time finding them (for decent prices). Still haven't been able to find the v4 pci.

Netherlands compared to ebay:

Rush comes by every now and then, cheap.
v1 is cheap here
v2 is cheap here but prices are going up, especially sli sets complete with cables
Banshee not that common anymore but still cheap when found
v3 2000-3000 agp is cheap here, but can be cheap on ebay as well
v3 3500TV much harder to find and especially with the needed dongle but a bit cheaper compared to ebay
V3 pci is getting expensive and harder to find, same as ebay, maybe bit cheaper
v4 agp hard to find. The 2 i found were in lots and not advertised so seller didn't know what they were. Probably expensive normally but i haven't seen any.
v4 pci don't know, didn't find them in the last 4-5 years and can't remember i ever saw one for sale here (but i will find one 🤣 )
v5 agp not easy to find and prices comparable to ebay
v5 pci very hard to find and little more expensive than v5 agp

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18 of 59, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Poland, anything other than V1 or V2 is rare, but it is possible to get V3 or banshee. I checked the history of our local auction website, and in last 3 months, there were more than 10 offers selling voodoo 1 and people buy only the cheapest ones, sometimes there is no demand at all. All of them are 4 MB. Two weeks ago one was sold after getting 5 bids and the final price was... equvalent of 2.8 EUR. But the usual price is ~8 EUR. And it is more expensive with cable. Voodoo 2 is much more expensive, between 20 and 50 EUR. You can spot a V3 sometimes, most likely AGP version. V4 and V5 is almost impossible to find locally.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 19 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been collecting these in boxed form for some time, and that adds a whole new element and challenge when collecting since there are different boxes for the US and EU, and other areas of the world. I've managed to acquire most of the US/EU boxes, but I'm still hunting down the 3DFX Voodoo4 4500 MAC (EU) - aka VoodooMAC:

Voodoo%204%204500%20PCI%20MAC%20BOX.jpg

The unobtainiums: Voodoo5 6000 with and without Voodoo Volts, Voodoo5 5000 (yes, not 5500), and Rampage (only 3 cards exists to my knowledge)

The other more rare 'production' cards that are challenging to track down (at least from a boxed perspective) are:

3DFX Voodoo4 4500 PCI (EU)
3DFX Voodoo4 4500 PCI (MAC) (US)
3DFX Voodoo4 4500 PCI (MAC) (EU) - VoodooMAC
3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP (EU)
3DFX Voodoo4 4500 AGP (US)
3DFX Voodoo5 5500 PCI (MAC) (EU) - VoodooMAC
3DFX Voodoo5 5500 PCI (MAC) (US)

Here's a good primer for some 3DFX V5-6000 history:
http://forums.evga.com/3dfx-Voodoo5-6000-amp- … s-m2185131.aspx

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg