1277386543613.gif~original

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 222 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

I am looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS and it looks like good and not expensive too. What do you think of it and also on the 650 PS?

The 550 GS is a good PSU but for a few more bucks I'd get the 550 G2, which is awesome (like all EVGA Supernovae G2/P2/T2).

Let the air flow!

Reply 223 of 382, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
386SX wrote:

I am looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS and it looks like good and not expensive too. What do you think of it and also on the 650 PS?

The 550 GS is a good PSU but for a few more bucks I'd get the 550 G2, which is awesome (like all EVGA Supernovae G2/P2/T2).

Thanks, I read the review. 😀
By the way I don't think I will recap an old one if I don't find actually one that is alread good in terms of quality. The 400W unbranded I wanted to recap, have so absurd soldering on the back that it scared the hell out of me.. 😁

Reply 224 of 382, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
TELVM wrote:
386SX wrote:

Thanks, I read the review. 😀
By the way I don't think I will recap an old one if I don't find actually one that is alread good in terms of quality. The 400W unbranded I wanted to recap, have so absurd soldering on the back that it scared the hell out of me.. 😁

Those are good PSUs but only 100w and 110w respectively on 3.3v+5V, so 90w-100w if you don't max 3.3v+5v out.
You keep looking at PSUs with squat on 3.3v+5v. If that's what you want then those will do.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 225 of 382, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:
Those are good PSUs but only 100w and 110w respectively on 3.3v+5V, so 90w-100w if you don't max 3.3v+5v out. You keep looking a […]
Show full quote

Those are good PSUs but only 100w and 110w respectively on 3.3v+5V, so 90w-100w if you don't max 3.3v+5v out.
You keep looking at PSUs with squat on 3.3v+5v. If that's what you want then those will do.

But in the case the wattage requested is more on both rails, which kind of protection good psu have? Do they shutdown safely or what?

Reply 226 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decent PSUs have over-current protection (OCP) and should shut down (theoretically) whenever the rails' max amp rating is exceeded. However:

- Sometimes the trigger point is set too high, and when overloaded the PSU fries before the protection can save it (relatively rare but not unknown, even from reputed brands).

- Modern PSUs 'expect' large +12V loads and tiny +5V/+3.3V loads, so the supervisor chip may only monitor the +12V rail/s for OCP, and not the minor rails (+5v/+3.3V). Example video.

Moral of the story: Don't rely on OCP as an infallible safety net.

BTW with gutless wonders you don't need to worry at all about OCP being present and working, for they'll typically explode well before their advertised max wattage 🤣 :

Fireworks Compilation

Let the air flow!

Reply 227 of 382, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
Decent PSUs have over-current protection (OCP) and should shut down (theoretically) whenever the rails' max amp rating is exceed […]
Show full quote

Decent PSUs have over-current protection (OCP) and should shut down (theoretically) whenever the rails' max amp rating is exceeded. However:

- Sometimes the trigger point is set too high, and when overloaded the PSU fries before the protection can save it (relatively rare but not unknown, even from reputed brands).

- Modern PSUs 'expect' large +12V loads and tiny +5V/+3.3V loads, so the supervisor chip may only monitor the +12V rail/s for OCP, and not the minor rails (+5v/+3.3V). Example video.

Moral of the story: Don't rely on OCP as an infallible safety net.

Understood. Anyway I am going to buy as soon as possible the Seasonic or the EVGA told. 😀

Reply 228 of 382, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some tests update: I am using the Corsair VS650 on a A7N8X-X and Barton 3200+/400 and basically the system is up and running and definetely bios reading feels the weight of the 5V rail. But I thought more; on the molex the with 512MB PC3200 1 DIMM, Geforce2 MX 440 AGP benchmarking it goes down to 4,83 volts in 3D and 4,93 volts on desktop. Air from the supply is cold as usual but I think I would exagerate if I'd use an heavy GPU like a Dx9.

Reply 229 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

... it goes down to 4,83 volts in 3D ...

Not so good, 3.2% deviation. Still within ATX spec but the VS650 is struggling to cope with that system.

Let the air flow!

Reply 230 of 382, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
386SX wrote:

... it goes down to 4,83 volts in 3D ...

Not so good, 3.2% deviation. Still within ATX spec but the VS650 is struggling to cope with that system.

yeah i think that too. I need another psu for that cpu.🙁

Reply 231 of 382, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, do you know this exact model of PSU? It's a 'decent' one? I've found it in the PC rescued today from the street: Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

20160401_170258.jpg

Reply 232 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Indrid Cold wrote:
Hello, do you know this exact model of PSU? It's a 'decent' one? I've found it in the PC rescued today from the street: Re: I re […]
Show full quote

Hello, do you know this exact model of PSU? It's a 'decent' one? I've found it in the PC rescued today from the street: Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

20160401_170258.jpg

Model number looks like it's hidden under the side of the mounting cage. You'll likely have to remove the mounting screws and pull it back to see. The color scheme on the labeling looks a lot like an Enlight PSU. Makes me wonder...

Reply 233 of 382, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Indrid Cold wrote:

Many people don't like Chieftec PSUs from ~2002 or so, I do. In my experience they are bullet proof!
It's always a good idea to open it up and look for bulged caps but I don't think you will find any.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 234 of 382, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:

Many people don't like Chieftec PSUs from ~2002 or so, I do. In my experience they are bullet proof!
It's always a good idea to open it up and look for bulged caps but I don't think you will find any.

Thanks for your advice, tomorrow I'll check inside the PSU

Reply 235 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Indrid Cold wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:

Thanks for your advice, tomorrow I'll check inside the PSU

You'll know quite a bit if you can identify the OEM. There's a fair chance of doing so from the model number.

Reply 236 of 382, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

You'll know quite a bit if you can identify the OEM. There's a fair chance of doing so from the model number.

Yep, now I'm not in garage/lab, but tomorrow I'll read this model number and do some research

Reply 237 of 382, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Perhaps it's a Chieftec HPC-300-202 300W?

Made by made by High Power (also known as Sirtec). At least all specs looks the same.

http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc300202.htm

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 238 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

High Power = SirTec
Could be. Enlight also uses that line which explains why the label looked familiar. It looks like SirTec even customizes the labeling when they're under contract.

Reply 239 of 382, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

High Power = SirTec
Could be. Enlight also uses that line which explains why the label looked familiar. It looks like SirTec even customizes the labeling when they're under contract.

It seems the right one! The cables match, also... good PSU? Anyway, I'm going to the lab