VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all.

I have a Socket 7 machine with an Aopen AP5T motherboard. I also have two drives:

1) 40 GB Samsung drive
2) 80 GB Seagate drive

I want to set Samsung drive to master and Seagate drive to slave.

When I set the jumper to first pair of pins on the Samsung drive and to the second on the Seagate drive, the BIOS detects Samsung drive as master, but can't detect Seagate at all.

When I set the jumper to the first pair of pins on the Seagate and to the second on the Samsung, it correctly detects Seagate as master and Samsung as slave.

What am I doing wrong? The motherboard has been patched to support drives bigger that 64GB.

Also, does it matter which end of the IDE cable is to connected to the master or slave drive?

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-01-27, 20:44. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you search for the jumpers in google? Sometimes, the drives have four choices:
- Master without slave.
- Master with slave.
- Slave.
- Cable select.

Also, keep in mind that the jumpers can be different on every drive, so you MUST look into the HDD label or google you HDD model to find out.

BTW, the end of the IDE cable does matter. If you put both drives on "Cable select", the position will mark which one is master and slave (in any other case, the jumpers will determine if it is master or slave).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some drives differentiate between "Single or Master" and "Master w/Slave present". Some drives have a jumper setting for Slave while on others the absence of a jumper means Slave. Follow the illustrations on your drive labels carefully. Set the Samsung to "Master" or "Master w/Slave present", depending on how Samsung has it labeled on their drive. Then set the Seagate to "Slave" (which I believe would be no jumpers on a Seagate) and see how it goes.

Alternatively, you can set both drives to "Cable Select", then make sure the end cable (farthest one from the motherboard connection) is going to the Samsun while the middle plug goes to the Seagate. See http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html for more info.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reading docs is a nice strategy, but as per usual, random fiddling works the best 🤣 As soon as I set Samsung to first pair of pins and removed the jumper from Seagate altogether, the drives set in correctly.

Thanks, everyone!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog