VOGONS

First post, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, first off I've appreciate all the forum postings here, which I've found very useful in putting together an old PC to bring back some good old times.

Turns out that I've got everything set up, but for some reason my processor speed is waaaay to slow, and I can't figure out why.

n26pLJf.png

It's running on a PCChips board with the UMC chipset, got all the jumpers set up properly according to the manual and processor specs, changed some bios settings but nothing changed, if anything I've managed to get an even LOWER score in speedsys. 3DBench results in 11.1 fps, thats BS!

What could be wrong with this? any help will be much appreciated! 😊

Reply 1 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could cache be disabled somewhere...turbo button turned off?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 19, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Could cache be disabled somewhere...turbo button turned off?

Preluder wrote:

It's running on a PCChips board with the UMC chipset

I wonder if this could be one of the infamous fake cache PC Chips 486 boards... Maybe a pic of the board itself might help?

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 19, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the bios the "Internal Cache" is Enabled, other than that there are no more options.
The turbo button jumpers are bridged, so it's always on.

Heres' a pic of the board:

n8Zagh0.jpg

DigeeZm.jpg

In mine the chipset says BA1915 instead of RC1047, but the rest looks the same.

Reply 4 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After the POST screen, but before the "Starting MS-DOS" message, PCs usually show a bunch of information. Does it say anything about the amount of cache installed?

Btw I'm pretty sure "Internal cache" means the processor's built in L1 cache. You could also try something like CACHECHK to check your cache.

Reply 5 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Preluder wrote:
In the bios the "Internal Cache" is Enabled, other than that there are no more options. The turbo button jumpers are bridged, so […]
Show full quote

In the bios the "Internal Cache" is Enabled, other than that there are no more options.
The turbo button jumpers are bridged, so it's always on.

Heres' a pic of the board:

n8Zagh0.jpg

DigeeZm.jpg

I can't read the print on the PCB to check if the CPU (and the rest of the board) is jumpered correctly.
At first glance your cache chips seem like real ones, one of them seems socketed, which is a good sign (though of course no 100% guarantee)

And agreed with using a program like CACHECHK 😀

edit:

Preluder wrote:

Wait, this isn't a pic of your actual board then?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 19, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well here's a pic of my actual board, at least the part that can be seen. The rest is covered in wires and cards.

49qlvY3.jpg

It says "256kb internal cache" at start, but cachechk said "this machine does not seem to have any cache"

VGRFlSH.jpg

And this is the mobo info and manual, all the jumpers set up according to this:

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/m912v17.htm

Reply 7 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the soldered cache is fake?

I would still try to remove the jumper bridging the turbo button header as a Speedsys CPU benchmark result of 10 is way too low for a DX4-100 even without L2 cache. On some boards "turbo on" is the "fast" setting and on other boards it's the "slow" setting.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a trivial subject since you already checked that, but do you have any "startup speed" kind of option in your BIOS settings? There are boards from that era which has this option and when set to "low" starts as turbo button is in low speed status.

"256KB Internal Cache" is kind of weird (nothing has that much "internal" -L1- cache during that period of time, not even close) so looks like a bogus statement. Your board might be a fake cache/BIOS modded PCChips.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 19, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that board definitely reeks of PC Chips - the UMC stickers on the chipset tell all. Also the "WRITE BACK" labels on the cache chips are a pretty telling sign that they are fake.
http://redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 10 of 19, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

Maybe a trivial subject since you already checked that, but do you have any "startup speed" kind of option in your BIOS settings? There are boards from that era which has this option and when set to "low" starts as turbo button is in low speed status.

"256KB Internal Cache" is kind of weird (nothing has that much "internal" -L1- cache during that period of time, not even close) so looks like a bogus statement. Your board might be a fake cache/BIOS modded PCChips.

Well it actually says "256kb cache enabled" no matter what.
Just checked the link for the pc-crap boards, and well, looks like it's one of those... but the UMC chip is still an UMC chip! 😀

Let's see what's under these two:

kYVoefF.jpg

Bingo, still an UMC chip? 😊

wRl5sWf.jpg

Not this one:

MERTqqz.jpg

BIOS soldered to the board:

FGkDuw8.jpg

And fake cache?

MEUDh2d.jpg

Reply 11 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes those cache chips are fake!

The board should still not be that slow in the Speedsys benchmark.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-01-28, 16:04. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 12 of 19, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm confused. On earlier pictures it looks like you have socketed, 32-pin, 15ns SRAM with a 28-pin TAG. On these latest ones, it's soldered onto the board. Were the previous pics just examples you found? The soldered "write back" cache does seem pretty suspect TBH...

Reply 13 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnynismo wrote:

I'm confused. On earlier pictures it looks like you have socketed, 32-pin, 15ns SRAM with a 28-pin TAG. On these latest ones, it's soldered onto the board. Were the previous pics just examples you found?

Yes he did, here's the source: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/m912v17p.jpg

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 19, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know....this really makes me appreciate tech journalism. If we had had PCPer, The Tech Report, Anandtech, and all the others like them manufacturers never would have been able to screw people over with FAKE CACHE! Duping the public is much harder to do nowadays.

Preluder, I hope you find another 486 mobo soon. I've run across a few appropriately priced ones on eBay so I'm sure you can find something. I even found a set of 32-pin SRAM with TAG to upgrade my Packard Bell Legend 125 from 128k to 256k just this morning so there's still hope. GOODLUCK!

(interesting side-note...I discovered the hard way that 128k of L2 cannot cache 36MB of RAM. I installed Windows 98SE on it and it fell on its face!)

Reply 16 of 19, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The picture comparison does look iffy in the second one, looks like the infamous black plastic with metal legs instead of real cache, no sockets anymore, no jumpers to the right of the cpu socket just soldered wire links unlike the previous image and several umc chips with sticky labels - makes me want to go check my own boards now as I have several pc chips models!

Reply 17 of 19, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've got this thing real cheap anyway, came with Trident VGA card, a controller board, both floppy drives (none of them worked), all within the case, including a Cx486DX2-66 processor, all for less than $20.

I've added the EDO RAM (16mb), my old Sound Blaster AWE32, a better controller board, 6gb HDD and a 15" SVGA SyncMaster CRT monitor (stuff I've had kept from older PCs).
The Intel 486DX4-100 came afterwards, got it for $20 bucks.

Found this mobo, MV035 OPTi, it has all the features I'm looking for, including an AMD 486DX2-66 all for less than $50. Just need to add the battery and BIOS from the other board and should be good to go.

w9tK7fh.jpg

Reply 18 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two things everyone seems to be ignoring:

1. cachecheck is reporting "this machine doesn't seem to have any cache" witch means the cpu's l1 cache is either turned off or not working, otherwise cachecheck wold say "this machine has one level of cache"

2. you seem to be running the cpu without a heatsink or fan. The 486 dx4 REQUIRES a heatsink at least.

Reply 19 of 19, by Preluder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it didn't really had time to heat up since I've been doing the tests and it's performance is at 1/3 of it's capacity. I've seen a lot of these without heatsink or fan, I have a couple of spares to use on it anyway.

Right now I'll see if that mobo I've found could turn out to be useful, not sure if the BIOS from the pc-chips board will work since it might be modified to run without cache.