VOGONS

First post, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PS/2 8570 386DX-20 with Math Coprocessor, 14MB of RAM, a SCSI w/Cache adapter, and a XGA-2 video adapter. I have all the adapters working thanks to the correct software I finally found and a replacement 6V lithium battery from Fry's. My original intention was to use it for gaming but it's damn near impossible to get the correct hard drive or sound card card for it. My 486 also fills this retro-niche appropriately as well.

Should I eBay this thing? Would anybody actually be interested in a PS/2 incompatible? It certainly has unique and nice features for its vintage these things don't seem to sell. Y'all are effectively most of the market so I'm asking here first before I make the effort to part ways with it.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's your call (I know this sounds rather lame, but it's true).

Consider the difficulties, the amount of time it will take to ship an entire system.

If you're an experienced seller you will already be familiar with the drill.
I am not, so I can't comment about that.

The thing is, how much will selling your rig you and how much will it give you if you decide to keep it?
These things all depend on a lot of answers to questions like "Do I have the room for all this stuff? Will I ever enjoy it myself if I decide to keep it? If I have to put in hours of effort and a complaining customer, is it really worth it?"

Dunno what else to say, perhaps another Vogoner with more personal experience with selling complete systems may chime in

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's great info and exactly what I was looking for. Yes, without a sound card they're not all that great for gaming. I love how it has a co-processor and 14MB of memory,with 6MB onboard but it would be wasted on me. It needs a better home.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have all kinds of PS/2 machines and a couple PS/2 sound cards (not the gaming type), they are not meant for gaming (well maybe the PS/2 Model 30 - 286 which is ISA). Still they are decently built with good expansion and decent support for Apps and OS. OS/2 on a PS/2 is cool to run for example.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software