VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I broke a component off the PCB on my Seagate ST318404LC

I got some anti-static hard drive storage boxes and put a few 'normal' sata and ide drives in them, then decided to do the same with my old SCSI drive. Only, when the drive was almost all the way in, the lip of the box popped one of the components open. Oops.

It's a little circular thing that looks like it's basically a coil of thin copper wire inside. If I got a replacement I'm sure I could solder it on without much difficulty. Only... what is it?

Here it is, beside my finger:
manyapologiesplzseagate.jpg

From what I can see, it had '608' printed on the top of it (I can sorta put the top back together like a jigsaw piece to read it. I've got about 14 or so broken fragments 🙁 )

Reply 1 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*discliamer* I have no idea what the little coil is for. *disclaimer*

Perhaps its possible to build new housing for the little coil with glue if the coil is still instact, otherwise im sure someone else here will tell you not to try it. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ADjsNq2.png?1
I had a fair notion by what came out of it, but I wanted to double check. The part I have highlighted is an inductor. Is that the same location of your broken component?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kk. The inductor was originally air core? if it is and the coil isn't malformed, you should be able to test it's inductance and resistance to choose a replacement.

Reply 6 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what I thought initially, and it may well be in this case, but I have found some examples where the markings are a series designator.

Reply 8 of 10, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The combination of an inductor (I'm pretty sure that is not an air-core therefore) with the capacitors and a power-MOSFET around it looks like its for some DC/DC-converter.
If you can find and identyfy a DC/DC controller then the datasheet should give a hint about the needed inductivity (usually they don't give a certain value, but a formula to estimate the needed inductance).

Or I guess there is an easier way: There are two presumably identical inductors on the other side of the board. I guess they'll have used identical parts for other power supplies).
If I'm correct they are marked "100", for which my guess would be 1µH or 10µH.

Edit: Just realized that its different inductors on a photo of another drive with the coils still intact.
Guess you're right with 6.8µH
Still strange that the broken inductor seems to have that blue ring on the cover like the ones marked "100" on the other photo.

Last edited by florianix on 2016-02-12, 10:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 10, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Since it is only a coil and chances are good that the drive will still work provided the windings are still intact.

The core seems not so intact. The inductance and behaviour (saturation) of the coil are greatly affected by it.

Taking the core out might result in much less inductance - in turn leading to huge current switching transients that might damage the output capacitor and/or power Mosfet.

It's probably worth a try, but if you are seriously interested in repairing the HDD or need to restore data from it, then I'd not recommend that. It needs some work but still seems repairable.

Reply 10 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I see the little components with black or blue tops depending on what screenshots I find online.

I think I'll have a go at repairing it ... no idea what's on it, nothing important I'm fairly certain. I haven't used it in years but I'd love to try it out again and it'd be a shame to leave it broken so I'll have a go at repairing it.

Thanks everyone 😀