VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve been mucking around with my Vortex2 SuperQuad in my Windows 98 machine and decided to try out the wavetable header from within Windows. Initially I couldn’t get any sound out of the MPU-401 and of course it was a mixer issue, but it took a while to track down because for whatever reason, the MPU-401 channel is called ‘Video’ in the mixer dialog. This was muted by default.

I’m wondering if the mixer labels can be changed? Are they listed in an INI file somewhere for example?

Thanks for any help.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 8, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that I know of. It's surprisingly common for this to happen.

I experienced this same issue even on Windows 7 with my Dynex:
Yamaha DB50XG daughter card working great in Windows 7

You could try doing a text search through the driver files and see if you can make a hit.

Reply 2 of 8, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Mixer labels are defined in au30mmed.inf and entered in the Win9x registry.

The inf could be modified (it's a text file), then uninstall and reinstall the drivers to change the label to what you want; or find the registry entries and change it there. Just be very careful if and when you do any changes. I would also strongly recommend backing up your Windows 98 install first, just in case - I haven't tried this before and have no idea if it will work without any problems/issues.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great info, thanks JayCeeBee. I'll have a poke around.

While the wavetable header is a great feature for we nostalgic nerds, it understandably wasn't a focus when it came to writing drivers or the manual. It probably seemed like a selling point when they started designing the chipset, but by the time it was hitting shelves in 1998 it was pretty much all over red rover for MIDI by the looks of things.

Reply 4 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be fair this might not be the chipset's fault. The WaveBlaster header is just the same MPU interface that is connected to the gameport (which is why some joystick interfere with the daughterboard) plus a few pins routing the analog out of the DB to one of the sound card's input. You can put a WB header in a card using ANY sound chip with an external MPU-401 interface. Cards like the AWE64 or AudioPCI did not have it because Creative saw no need to put those in when designing the board, but they could, for example.

IMHO someone just routed the DB's output to an input meant for TV Tuners or something like that.

Reply 7 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Mixer labels are defined in au30mmed.inf and entered in the Win9x registry.

I went directly to the registry and edited the values there - they were easy to find with a quick search. Worked like a charm, my mixer is now awesomely awesome.

Thanks again.

Reply 8 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote a program back in 2000 to do just that for the SBLive. No idea whether it still works but it might be a little quicker than finding the right registry entry.