VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
what audio card / chip on PCI comparable or better than the Audigy could I try that has Win 9x and Me drivers? Regarding audio output quality and if possible also power.
Thank
Bye

Reply 1 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Arguably the definitive sound chipset for 3D Win98 sound is the Aureal Vortex 2. There are other options if you can make do without 3D audio (Midiman, for example).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 45, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
Hi, what audio card / chip on PCI comparable or better than the Audigy could I try that has Win 9x and Me drivers? Regarding aud […]
Show full quote

Hi,
what audio card / chip on PCI comparable or better than the Audigy could I try that has Win 9x and Me drivers? Regarding audio output quality and if possible also power.
Thank
Bye

Audigy, Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS. Any of them should work.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 45, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah go with a Vortex 2 if only for something a bit different. Aureal was giving creative a real run for their money but unfortunately didn't have the financial war chest required to withstand Creative's legal onslaught - it really was a great product. The 3D stuff with headphones is quite an experience - better than EAX I think.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 45, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SRQ wrote:

Can't a Live do that? I noticed it was enabled as an option for Jedi Knight. I figured it was some sort of emulation or reverse engineering.

Because thats a A3D 1.0 game, which creative attempts to support/emulate. They don't support A3D 2.0, which is much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOcdfCN-RU

Reply 10 of 45, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the Yamaha DS-1 - it also has DOS drivers, and a nice midi synth. Audigy 2 ZS is nice too. The SB 128 PCI is a good cheap alternative too.

Reply 13 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

I always liked the Diamond Monster 300MX.

+1 Great card! The surround sound over headphones is terrific.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 45, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like the Vortex2 chip, it has great 3D positional audio. I can't recall how the Live! it competed against sounds, but I know it wasn't as good, for gaming it was better supported all in all.

Reply 17 of 45, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vortex 2 SQ2500 or Diamond's MX300 are both pretty nice and clean, though not quite up to the 108 dB SNR or whatever specs the Audigy line hit so many years later.

A3D is a much better effect than EAX, and support for it wasn't too bad until they were bough out at the end of 2000. EAX was less impressive until 3.0, but very widely supported from the start. The Aureal cards are crap at EAX and Creative's A3D emulation is also bad, so you have to pick between the two.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 18 of 45, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using headphones or desktop speakers or a stereo?

I wonder how outputting, digitally to a real surround-sound receiver would sound compared to a sound-card.

Reply 19 of 45, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Logistics wrote:

Are you using headphones or desktop speakers or a stereo?

I wonder how outputting, digitally to a real surround-sound receiver would sound compared to a sound-card.

I am using stereo headphones. Nothing professional but good enough.