VOGONS

First post, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey i have a YMF-724F-V Pci Sound card that im trying to get to work with dos games running on Windows 98

Windows games Like Quake 2 run with no issues, but when i try to set up games like blood and duke 3d under windows and i do not know what the 16bit dma address is they freeze and come up with an error during the sound set up test

when you look at the audio Config it doesn't show the 16 bit dma address have i done something wrong?

My specs are
PIII 450
256Mb Ram
Diamond Viper v550
Diamond Monster II Voodoo 2 card

the mother board and sound card do have SB-link header tho im waiting for a cable

Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20160223_111649.jpeg
    Filename
    20160223_111649.jpeg
    File size
    648.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160223_195852.jpg
    Filename
    20160223_195852.jpg
    File size
    909.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160223_195831.jpg
    Filename
    20160223_195831.jpg
    File size
    948.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160223_195817.jpeg
    Filename
    20160223_195817.jpeg
    File size
    94.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160223_111134.jpg
    Filename
    20160223_111134.jpg
    File size
    972.07 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are SBPro compatible, not SB16. Set the games to use an SBPro and it won't even ask for a high DMA address.

I know the ISA YMF chips were also WSS (Windows Sound System) compatible, but I have no idea if the PCI chips are as well.

Reply 2 of 19, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Only SBPro compatible and no WSS support (Nothing ever really used the WSS that didn't support the SB anyway and SBPro is generally good enough) so that's a possibility, check the Sound Card Type sub-menu. Duke/Blood will always ask for 16-Bit DMA regardless of the card type and, in fact, the A.S.S probably uses the same driver for all Sound Blaster cards. The game effectively has its own drivers, but that's just complicated.

The first thing I would do is try a game that auto-detects the card. Duke Nukem II or Quake are good examples and the demo versions are easily found. If they work it implies the card is working and configured properly, though you might have issues without the SB-Link installed because of how the PCI BUS works. If those games work, delete the duke3d.cfg and blood.cfg and run SETUP for them again, letting the setup program use its default parameters as it does try to detect them itself. You could skip the test in SETUP if you know the values to be correct as the game might start fine - of course, it might also make the machine lock up.

Another thing is that I can't be sure having the SoftSynth installed with the card is necessarily a good idea for stability. I had an early version of it installed alongside the card once and the system would lock up when some applications tried to access MIDI ports, you have a later version I haven't used in that environment and have no idea what, if anything, they altered beyond the sample set in that version.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try setting your DMA to 0. I don't know why but it worked for me on a similar 440BX system. That will at least allow you to run DOS games within Windows 9x.

As for the SB-Link Cable, I made my own, but haven't figured out what connecting it actually does and how to derive any benefit from it, so please let me know if you figure it out.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 19, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys thanks for your replys

Well i tried Duke Nukem II, Quake Shareware dos,Hi-octane ,Heretic I and II, they all work

terminal velocity detect card works when you test but freezes at the dos4games loader screen
Duke 3d and Blood Freeze at test and freeze at Dos4game loader
even setting those games with sb Pro they still ask for a 16bit DmA

Will wait for the sb link cable to turn up

Totempole yeah i dont know there are a few threads on here about but not too much, still haven't brought one yet

i was hoping to get away with just one sound card .... dont really want to use a Sb live

i wounder if there is a list of games that require 16bit DMAs for sound

Although i was just building this for windows/dos games from 97 onward stated wanting to use game a little older

Will build a Pentium 1 200mhz class machine for any thing older than 97 with a isa sound card

will let you guys know how i go when i get the cable

Reply 5 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
latenite_tellie wrote:
hey guys thanks for your replys […]
Show full quote

hey guys thanks for your replys

Well i tried Duke Nukem II, Quake Shareware dos,Hi-octane ,Heretic I and II, they all work

terminal velocity detect card works when you test but freezes at the dos4games loader screen
Duke 3d and Blood Freeze at test and freeze at Dos4game loader
even setting those games with sb Pro they still ask for a 16bit DmA

Will wait for the sb link cable to turn up

Totempole yeah i dont know there are a few threads on here about but not too much, still haven't brought one yet

i was hoping to get away with just one sound card .... dont really want to use a Sb live

i wounder if there is a list of games that require 16bit DMAs for sound

Although i was just building this for windows/dos games from 97 onward stated wanting to use game a little older

Will build a Pentium 1 200mhz class machine for any thing older than 97 with a isa sound card

will let you guys know how i go when i get the cable

Did you try changing the 8-Bit DMA to 0 in Win9x Resources? It worked for me with both Duke Nukem 3D and Death Rally, which were crashing in the Sound Config when DMA 1 was configured.

What I eventually did was combined an ISA YMF-718S card with it. The ISA Card Handles Digital Audio and OPL3, while the YMF724 does GM. Best of both worlds. 😀

You can do it with an ESS ISA card as well. Sound Blaster 16 cards are a bit trickier, but not that difficult to set up either though.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 6 of 19, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey Totempole

i tried to changing the DMA for the legacy sound system in the bios it doesn't do any thing and in the windows it wont let me for some reason
how did you do it
I might put an ISA card in see how i go

Reply 7 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
latenite_tellie wrote:
hey Totempole […]
Show full quote

hey Totempole

i tried to changing the DMA for the legacy sound system in the bios it doesn't do any thing and in the windows it wont let me for some reason
how did you do it

No, not in the BIOS, that will only change the resources for a real ISA card. You need to do it in device manager in Win9x.

1. Go to Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System, click Properties, and go to the Resources Tab. (See your third image attachment).

2. Now uncheck the box which says "Use Automatic Settings" and click the "Settings based on" dropdown box.

3. Change to a "Basic Configuration" which allows you to change the 8-bit DMA from 1 to 0. eg. "Basic Configuration 000x"

4. Make sure all of the other settings match "Basic Configuration 0". If not, change them to reflect "Basic Configuration 0".

5. Click "OK", and click yes to the warning. You may or may not need to reboot, but I suggest you do anyway for best results.

Hope this helps.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 8 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Totempole wrote:
No, not in the BIOS, that will only change the resources for a real ISA card. You need to do it in device manager in Win9x. […]
Show full quote
latenite_tellie wrote:
hey Totempole […]
Show full quote

hey Totempole

how did you do it

No, not in the BIOS, that will only change the resources for a real ISA card. You need to do it in device manager in Win9x.

1. Go to Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System, click Properties, and go to the Resources Tab. (See your third image attachment).

2. Now uncheck the box which says "Use Automatic Settings" and click the "Settings based on" dropdown box.

3. Change to a "Basic Configuration" which allows you to change the 8-bit DMA from 1 to 0. eg. "Basic Configuration 000x"

4. Make sure all of the other settings match "Basic Configuration 0". If not, change them to reflect "Basic Configuration 0".

5. Click "OK", and click yes to the warning. You may or may not need to reboot, but I suggest you do anyway for best results.

Hope this helps.

I'm having similar issues with the DS-XG (duke3d setup hangs the system when trying to test digital audio) - setting DMA to 0 for the Legacy device did not work. I also can't use a SB-link cable since my MVP3 doesn't have an SB-LINK header...

In dos the XG synth doesn't seem to be working. Drivers load fine, digital audio and OPL3 work great, but general midi either looks for an external synth or there are no soundfonts loaded for the XG synth. Any way to load XG soundfonts in DOS? Or is there some command line parameter I need to use to get XG synth music under DOS?

Reply 9 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Totempole wrote:
No, not in the BIOS, that will only change the resources for a real ISA card. You need to do it in device manager in Win9x. […]
Show full quote
latenite_tellie wrote:
hey Totempole […]
Show full quote

hey Totempole

how did you do it

Hope this helps.

I'm having similar issues with the DS-XG (duke3d setup hangs the system when trying to test digital audio) - setting DMA to 0 for the Legacy device did not work. I also can't use a SB-link cable since my MVP3 doesn't have an SB-LINK header...

In dos the XG synth doesn't seem to be working. Drivers load fine, digital audio and OPL3 work great, but general midi either looks for an external synth or there are no soundfonts loaded for the XG synth. Any way to load XG soundfonts in DOS? Or is there some command line parameter I need to use to get XG synth music under DOS?

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I had two of these cards working on different 440BX systems in that configuration. You could also try setting DMA 3, but for that you'll need to disable your LPT1 port in the BIOS.

As for getting this card working in DOS Mode, that might be what the SB-Link Connector is for. I haven't actually tried to get this card working in "Real DOS", so can't really help you there. I know that it can be done, but the XG synth has some bugs outside of Windows.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 10 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the XG synth doesn't work at all outside windows. General Midi is detected, but no sound plays whatsoever. No error messages either. So far I've tried it on a Super 7 Aopen X59PRO (no SB-LINK connector), a Slot 1 Abit BE6-II (with SB-Link connector) and a Lucky Tech LS486S (socket 3, no sb-link). Duke3D will not run on wither system in windows (works fine in DOS but no XG synth). In freezes my X59pro and reboots the BE6-II and the LS486S. Also, no XG synth in dos on either board, with or w/o SB-LINK. As far as I can tell, the card needs a 2mb soundfont to be loaded to ram when loading the XG driver (this happens under windows 98) but there is no 2mb file in the dos driver folder.

All other games work fine under windows, including stuff like monkey island and dune 2 (with the XG synth!). I've also tried 3dfx descent 2, doom and heretic - they all work fine.

Reply 11 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which drivers did you use?

I used these ones from Yamaha: http://download.yamaha.com/file/46445

Here are the DOS Mode Drivers: http://download.yamaha.com/file/46447

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 13 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very strange. The only immediate difference I can see is that my cards are based on the YMF724E-V. I have yet to find out what makes them different from the YMF724F-V cards.

I'm going to be reinstalling one of my machines over the weekend. I'll go through the whole process again and post back details here.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 14 of 19, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I changed the DMA to 0

Duke 3d and Blood still froze

BTW i did have some trouble sourcing the right driver tho i did find some
i had to reinstall windows 3 times tho

ill just build a p200 machine im going though my parts now

ill let you know when i get the sb-link cable

Reply 15 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duke 3D works fine in pure dos (no SB-LINK cable). The annoying thing is in dos I'm stuck with OPL music since the XG synth either doesn't work or has no soundfonts loaded.

Reply 16 of 19, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried getting one of my YMF724 cards working on an ASUS 440ZX motherboard, and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Changing to DMA 0 didn't help, in fact changing to DMA 0 with the SB-Link cable connected resulted in the PC locking up on startup. So the SB-Link cable definitely does something.

The board I was using when I had it working was actually an Epox 440BX board. I'm really not sure why it worked on that particular board but not on others. I'll keep digging and let you know what I come up with.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 17 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could never get Midi working on the integrated Yamaha YMF724 on my Dell SE440BX3 motherboard in pure Dos, Sound is fine just no midi
dos from within Windows no problem but I really don't think its possible in pure dos.
I would be VERY happy to be proven wrong though!

Reply 18 of 19, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The YMF-724 is a picky chip. It loves the i430TX and i440BX chipsets, but when it comes to other chipsets, DOS compatibility is far from guaranteed. My blog entry here summarizes some of the compatibility issues :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2013/03/1 … am-machine.html

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 19 of 19, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

The YMF-724 is a picky chip.

"The motherboard given as an example for the 1999 Dream Machine, the ASUS P3B-F, does not have an SB-Link connector ready to use. However, the BX chipset does provide a working D(istributed)-DMA signal, and the YMF chip can use the PCI IRQ INTA as if it were an ISA IRQ. Thus the card will work with real mode DOS games using the Adlib or Sound Blaster if the proper drivers are loaded. Some games, like DOOM, will require the driver that requires EMM386. Other games, like Ultima 7, do not require the EMM386 driver."

YMF-724E + D-DMA have issues in some protected mode games?
Was there any apps/games incompatibility or issues noticed of D-DMA or SB-LINK + 440BX on YMF-724E or 744? (besides 8->3-2 ADPCM)

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide