VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I am planning on dual booting Windows 98 and XP and I need to find a tool to shrink the partition of Windows 98. Anyone here know of a tool that can do that?

Reply 3 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use gparted live to shrink partitions. Then use xfdisk to set up multiboot and create new partitions.
They are both good to have and highly recommended.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 14, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Partition Magic is commercial software. It's currently discontinued.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk … +magic&_sacat=0

maybe discontinued but it's a great piece of software if you want to purchase it. Don't use it for doing anything with partitions newer than XP though, you will break things.

Reply 8 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used Partition Magic many years ago when I resized 2 partitions (6.4GB harddrive, man those were the days 🤣) and it took forever! 😁

I never used it to actually partition harddrives for use in newer systems as I didn't want to risk it messing up the partitions and causing loss of data, so after a while I ended up slaving all my to-be-partitioned-and-formatted harddrives in an XP rig (didn't have any more modern OS at the time and I preferred fastformatting). This also allowed me to copy some files to the newly created and formatted empty disk and this way I didn't have to mess with any extra stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% positive that partitioning in another rig will not cause any problems with a system not being able to boot (it's been years since I last bothered with this "technique") but I never encountered any issues after having succesfully installed an OS on harddrives that got this treatment.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 14, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I've used Partition Magic many years ago when I resized 2 partitions (6.4GB harddrive, man those were the days 🤣) and it took forever! 😁

I never used it to actually partition harddrives for use in newer systems as I didn't want to risk it messing up the partitions and causing loss of data, so after a while I ended up slaving all my to-be-partitioned-and-formatted harddrives in an XP rig (didn't have any more modern OS at the time and I preferred fastformatting). This also allowed me to copy some files to the newly created and formatted empty disk and this way I didn't have to mess with any extra stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% positive that partitioning in another rig will not cause any problems with a system not being able to boot (it's been years since I last bothered with this "technique") but I never encountered any issues after having succesfully installed an OS on harddrives that got this treatment.

just use parition C:\ /q from dos, and you will quick format your disks with dos

Reply 10 of 14, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never use Quick Format. This option should only really be used on pre-existing partitions which you know to be in good health, such as storage partitions, I would never use it on a boot partition outside of testing.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

just use parition C:\ /q from dos, and you will quick format your disks with dos

I should've just read the effing manual 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 14, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I never use Quick Format. This option should only really be used on pre-existing partitions which you know to be in good health, such as storage partitions, I would never use it on a boot partition outside of testing.

its fine to use as long as you know the disk's are healthy. I run seatools or data lifeguard depending on the disk before i ever use it to check for any bad sectors ect and fix them. Same way i run memtest on any memory before i put them in use.

Reply 13 of 14, by SyMBA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Windows 98, 95, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, DOS, I would Use PowerQuest Partition Magic 8 (aquired by Symantec).
This pack has the advantage of the PQ BOOT, for multiboot.
The Emegency disk are a fully functional Application in DOS Mode. (delete, create, resize, move)

For Windows XP and upers, I Would Use Paragoon HardDisk Manager.

Reply 14 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Paragon works great for DOS as well, but your motherboard needs CD-ROM or USB boot support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder