VOGONS

First post, by monkeyb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I need some help getting a HDD working on an old 386 I'm trying to piece together.

I originally purchased a UMC FDD/HDD (ISA) controller off eBay as well as a 120mb seagate st1320a. When I would boot the computer, it kept complaining saying the "HDD Controller Failure". I messed with settings for days (bios, jumpers, wiring, etc), until I finally threw the towel in figuring it was some type of hardware issue.

I then proceeded to purchase a new FDD/HDD Controller, new IDE cables, and a new IDE hard drive, albeit this one a more modern 20GB ATA/IDE drive st320413a. I'm aware of the BIOS disk size limitations, and may consider DDO to go beyond that, but size-issues aside, I imagine it should still work.

With the new contorller and the old hard drive, the error remains, however with the new hard drive (after setting the heads, cyls, etc.) it says "C: drive failure" instead of "HDD Controller failure".

Still, the final result remains the same, which is that neither drive works. Even trying low level formatting them from the bios results in a HDD error.

Any ideas what I can try? At this point I have 2 sets of parts for the entire hardware chain (Controllers, IDE Cables, Drives), and still can't figure this out.

Should I try to buy yet another older HDD? I'm at a loss for where to take things next, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you try reseting the CMOS on the motherboard? Also, try putting the controller in different slots. That may get it to work. The 386 boards are a pain to get hard drive controllers working in them (I had a DX 25mhz and I spent many a day trying to get it to work, and finally did). It is a good idea to avoid any new(er) hard drives. The 120mb should be fine. And, make sure you have the IDE cable plugged in with pin 1 lining up with pin 1 on the board. And, try a regular IDE cable and not a ATA133 cable.

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to check the components (I/O mostly, disk & cables) on another system to make sure they do work. I know, you can't just put that I/O card in your i7, but in case you do have another suitable system it'd help. At least for the HDD & cables it should be easy.

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depending where you live you may be able to pick up a P4 for free, and a lot of these had IDE which would make a good test PC for a lot of components.
Otherwise something like this will allow you to test the hard drives in any PC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-SATA-Adapter … d/dp/B004JO1Z52

Reply 4 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Low level formatting??? Never, never try that on a modernish ide hdd. That was primarily meant for mfm, rll stuff. Hopefully you did no damage to either drives...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 6, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
monkeyb wrote:
With the new contorller and the old hard drive, the error remains, however with the new hard drive (after setting the heads, cyl […]
Show full quote

With the new contorller and the old hard drive, the error remains, however with the new hard drive (after setting the heads, cyls, etc.) it says "C: drive failure" instead of "HDD Controller failure".

Still, the final result remains the same, which is that neither drive works. Even trying low level formatting them from the bios results in a HDD error.

Any ideas what I can try? At this point I have 2 sets of parts for the entire hardware chain (Controllers, IDE Cables, Drives), and still can't figure this out.

Should I try to buy yet another older HDD? I'm at a loss for where to take things next, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Step 1, I know it's been forever, but:
- NEVER LOW LEVEL FORMAT. This never, ever has to be done on IDE equipment, despite the option being in the BIOS.

Step 2, Maximum drive size. Find Ontrack Disk Manager, that is the only way you're going to get a drive larger than 500MB to work.
And once you get that working, don't fiddle with the BIOS hard drive settings or you're going to cry when it wrecks the drive. The BIOS selection should be set to the first option in most cases (usually a 10 or 20MB hard drive.)

In the context of "IDE" drives, the drive controller is actually on the physical hard drive, all the ISA card is, is an ISA bridge. If you don't set the jumpers correctly (If there is only ONE hard drive, it must be jumpered as master, if there is a slave present, it must be jumpered to indicate a slave is present, etc) it will report a drive failure. Some cables don't have keyed connectors or keyed pins, so people might install the cable upside down on the controller-end even if it's keyed properly on the drive.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a "Compact Flash CF to 40 Pin IDE" converter, and a CF card which might cost around 30$ than trying to find a mechanical drive.

Pre-IDE hardware (MFM/RLL drives) use 34 pin cables that are identical to floppy cables except they are NOT TWISTED. Floppy cables, the "A: drive" is the one at the end of the twist and the "B: drive" is the untwisted one. In a pinch for those drives you can use a floppy cable, but really... don't, it will save you a headache.