VOGONS

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A case studly in utter stupidity.

No one becomes an expert in anything without trying, this is however an example showing that some people should just stay away from the innards of computers.

About a year ago I bought a motherboard, CPU and memory bundle on the Swedish Ebay site Tradera.com. The CPU type wasnt specified but the bundle was according to the seller removed from a working system.

The motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Socket 775 motherboard, I bought it because I diddnt own any nForce4 chipset motherboard for Intel CPUs. The bundle came assembled, I diddnt even test it as it came well packaged and looked good, I put the bundle in a box where it stayed until late yesterday evening. Today I was going to use the bundle to test the X1950XTX I bought but there were some issues...

I mounted the X1950XTX on the motherboard, conneced a Corsair AX1200 PSU and hit the "power switch", the board powered on but would not post. I tried a few more times and then started investigating, the first thing I did was to download the manual. After checking the CLR CMOS jumper I found that it was in the wrong position, easily rectified but the board was still not posting.

The next thing I did was to remove the cooler, here I found issue number two, the cooler was mounted in the wrong orientation so it interfered with the caps around the socket and made zero conteact with the CPU. Then on to issue number three, the CPU was a Pentium E2140, the motherboard only supports Pentium 4 and the first generation Pentium D. Now I turned my attention to the metal back plate, issue number four. The backplate was mounted flat against the board without insulation and shorted 100 solder points or so.

After fixing all these issues the motherboard posted at the first power on with a S775 Pentium 4 3.4 EE Gallatin.

I do normally not have issues with other people making mistakes but God damn it there are limits.

This is the bundle as it came, notice the position of the CPU fan cable.

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe.JPG
Filename
Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe.JPG
File size
4.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The heat sink it did not make very good contact with the CPU.

Great contact.JPG
Filename
Great contact.JPG
File size
4.32 MiB
Views
File license

Here we can see why, this picture is taken when I test mounted the heatsink correctly but you can see the cutouts in the heatsink and compare them to the position of the fan cable in the first picture...

better contect.JPG
Filename
better contect.JPG
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File license

And finally Victory!

Victory.JPG
Filename
Victory.JPG
File size
3.89 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 16, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some builds can be just plain awful, to the point you really wonder if the person who built it eventually died of a something worthy of a http://www.darwinawards.com/

I happened upon one build where they put thermal paste in the memory sockets....MEMORY SOCKET THERMAL PASTE???? Or maybe it was lithium grease? Guess putting those SDRAM memory modules in a DDR socket proves a little difficult and you need the lubrication... 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 2 of 16, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

I happened upon one build where they put thermal paste in the memory sockets....MEMORY SOCKET THERMAL PASTE???? Or maybe it was lithium grease? Guess putting those SDRAM memory modules in a DDR socket proves a little difficult and you need the lubrication... 😎

see, sex education actually is useful, but haters gonna hate :>

Reply 3 of 16, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You think that's bad, try DDR in an SDRAM socket.

Where I used to work there was this kid I was supposed to teach but he was a blithering idiot and seemed unable to learn. The boss had it set up so that he had to build a computer from pieces lying around the parts room under my instruction... That was a shitty couple of weeks, but eventually he managed to finish the build and there the machine sat on a desk in Room 3 powered up and running Windows 98SE. I was sat there thinking how great it was I wouldn't have to teach him any more of this stuff and could send him home for good when he turned around and said he wanted more RAM.
"OK, Nathan, well you know how to install RAM, so I'll leave you to do that." I said, and that was that. I walked away to get on with something more important - I seem to remember a fan had failed in the server and I needed to go and fix it - thinking the whole thing was over and done with.

It wasn't. I returned half an hour later to find him sat in front of his machine poking the system properties and device manager around. I didn't think too much to this but did worry he would break something and end up hanging around for another day, but he only seemed to be looking, so I thought he was probably just making sure it all worked. It was around this time that I sat down and noticed this sharp whistle coming from the machine, I tried to ignore it but it was pretty loud and I had to say something.
"What's making that noise?" I asked him.
"Dunno," He said, "But the RAM won't work and I've tried four sticks."
"Oh, well," I said, feeling like I couldn't be bothered, "That motherboard's a piece of shit, perhaps it doesn't support more than 128MB of RAM. It's only running 98 anyway, you probably wouldn't need more than that for Microsoft Word."
"OK," He said, "So it's done?"
"Yeah, it's done," I said, "Now I can finally see the back of you. Now fuck off."

He left and I had the job of dismantling the machine. I decided to track down the whistling and found the culprit... There were some DDR modules on the desk and I thought little of that, there were always junk parts lying around, but no. The idiot had tried to install it in the SDRAM slots and when it didn't fit he had filed the notches out of the slot so it would. How the system started I don't know and it seemed to cause a short which made everything run hot and caused the crappy PSU to whistle loudly. Fucking idiot.

He really was dumb. I remember asking him to dismantle a machine and then coming back later to find he hadn't listened to what I had taught him the previous week... He certainly dismantled it. I found a neatly ordered pile of parts including the regular stuff, PSU, motherboard. Then I found a dismantled hard drive, random assortments of metal and rivets where the case had been and the internals of a CD-ROM drive. Fucking idiot. I didn't even bother explaining to him why he had fucked up because every time I tried to teach him anything he used to get mad at me and wouldn't listen anyway.

When I think of times like that I really wish cameras had been as common or at the very least, that I had thought to violate the rules of the workplace and snap a low-res photo on my early smart phone. In the case of the OP, I find it more stupid that the original owner bought Asus, I have no idea why that stuff is so common but I am so sick of the sight of it by now that it makes me sick... Then again, what's the alternative these days? Mostly worse.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 4 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

In the case of the OP, I find it more stupid that the original owner bought Asus, I have no idea why that stuff is so common but I am so sick of the sight of it by now that it makes me sick... Then again, what's the alternative these days? Mostly worse.

Asus can make good stuff, it's just that most of the time they choose to make crap (like most of the other manufacturers).

The Asus Commano i965P Socket-775 board is really good and the whole Asus P6T Socket-1366 series of motherboards are built like tanks and will last half a century or more.

This Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe do not impress but that is not only Asus fault. The Intel edition of the nForce4 chipset runs hotter than anything I have ever tinkered with before. I have a 60mm 5000 RPM fan blowing at it and I still cant touch the chipset heatsink even for a moment, its probably 80C or more. I was doing something else for a couple of hours but Im installing Windows on the test system as I write this and so far, so good.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 5 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
Asus can make good stuff, it's just that most of the time they choose to make crap (like most of the other manufacturers). […]
Show full quote
HighTreason wrote:

In the case of the OP, I find it more stupid that the original owner bought Asus, I have no idea why that stuff is so common but I am so sick of the sight of it by now that it makes me sick... Then again, what's the alternative these days? Mostly worse.

Asus can make good stuff, it's just that most of the time they choose to make crap (like most of the other manufacturers).

The Asus Commano i965P Socket-775 board is really good and the whole Asus P6T Socket-1366 series of motherboards are built like tanks and will last half a century or more.

This Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe do not impress but that is not only Asus fault. The Intel edition of the nForce4 chipset runs hotter than anything I have ever tinkered with before. I have a 60mm 5000 RPM fan blowing at it and I still cant touch the chipset heatsink even for a moment, its probably 80C or more. I was doing something else for a couple of hours but Im installing Windows on the test system as I write this and so far, so good.

I know the Intel edition of the nForce4 well and boy was it Hard to overclock, even had to use a solid copper socket A cooler and a 6000 rpm fan just to get it to 341mhz or 1364fsb. I eventually gave up on the board at one point as I had played with a Pentium D 805 and it the vrms didn't hold up well. My guess is that the chipset is at least 30w or 40w 😲

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

I know the Intel edition of the nForce4 well and boy was it Hard to overclock, even had to use a solid copper socket A cooler and a 6000 rpm fan just to get it to 341mhz or 1364fsb. I eventually gave up on the board at one point as I had played with a Pentium D 805 and it the vrms didn't hold up well. My guess is that the chipset is at least 30w or 40w 😲

I think I also will need to the replace the northbridge heat sink if Im going to use this motherboard for overclocking, at least it seems stable at stock. It would not surprise me at all if the chipset draws 30-40W.

The Radeon X1950XTX worked perfectly.

Reply 7 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

I think I also will need to the replace the northbridge heat sink if Im going to use this motherboard for overclocking, at least it seems stable at stock. It would not surprise me at all if the chipset draws 30-40W.

The Radeon X1950XTX worked perfectly.

When it comes to time upgrade the NB cooler you are going to want to convert something big like a Socket 370 or A cooler if you got the tools on hand to drill the block as well mount the cooler. I used small little bolts and it worked pretty well but you have to be careful to not over tighten the bolts.

If you have deeper pockets I strongly recommend going liquid cooling as it will have better results.

Reply 8 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

The motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Socket 775 motherboard, I bought it because I diddnt own any nForce4 chipset motherboard for Intel CPUs.

Funny, I got that same board today.

It was a minimum bid auction and also included the two Raptor drives.

R5g05Uih.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

The motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Socket 775 motherboard, I bought it because I diddnt own any nForce4 chipset motherboard for Intel CPUs.

Funny, I got that same board today.

It was a minimum bid auction and also included the two Raptor drives.

This board should be perfect for doing a fair AMD vs Intel shout-out. 😀

It will be DDR1 vs DDR2 but that matters very little.

For Pentium D vs Athlon X2 nForce5 is probably a better choice though.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-16, 13:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

He certainly dismantled it. I found a neatly ordered pile of parts including the regular stuff, PSU, motherboard. Then I found a dismantled hard drive, random assortments of metal and rivets where the case had been and the internals of a CD-ROM drive.

That made me laugh! Your just lucky he didnt start unsoldering components.
People like that annoy me though, you can tell some just dont give a sh*t and are going thought the motions while doing as little and trying to get out of as much as possible.
Some people are genuinly clueless, fair enough. others just arent interested, again fair enough. but if your both dont drag me down and waste both your and my time.

Reply 11 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

He really was dumb. I remember asking him to dismantle a machine and then coming back later to find he hadn't listened to what I had taught him the previous week... He certainly dismantled it. I found a neatly ordered pile of parts including the regular stuff, PSU, motherboard. Then I found a dismantled hard drive, random assortments of metal and rivets where the case had been and the internals of a CD-ROM drive. Fucking idiot. I didn't even bother explaining to him why he had fucked up because every time I tried to teach him anything he used to get mad at me and wouldn't listen anyway.

Who takes the time to remove rivets, i mean thats beyond stupid that level of dumbness has no word yet.

Reply 12 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of idiot thinks that the manufacturer intended for him to file down the notches in the RAM slots, which are there for the express purpose of preventing him from installing the wrong kind of RAM? He shouldn't even have to be taught anything for him to know that. Heck, I was installing RAM, CPUs, and power supplies literally when I was seven years old, and I was pretty stupid back then. He should have known better.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

What kind of idiot thinks that the manufacturer intended for him to file down the notches in the RAM slots, which are there for the express purpose of preventing him from installing the wrong kind of RAM? He shouldn't even have to be taught anything for him to know that. Heck, I was installing RAM, CPUs, and power supplies literally when I was seven years old, and I was pretty stupid back then. He should have known better.

The same sort of people are those who voted for eight years of Bush and another eight years of Obama, I absolutely dread another eight years of incompetence of Trump or God forbid Hillary. 😢
I can't even go shopping for groceries without getting annoyed by the stupidity that is around these days, the other day a store employee was dumb enough to mistake my cart as the "return" cart and tried to take a package of steaks (WTF) 😠
The worst part of any day is commuting back and forth, people are so SLOW getting through lights and signs! I can't stand idiots who don't understand when someone moves onto the shoulder that they want someone to pass but are so clueless they just tailgate for the next several minutes until they "figure it out" or rage. I despise people that tailgate even when already over the speed limit and the other lane is open...

Sorry for morning rant 🤣

Reply 14 of 16, by hwswITA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have a P5N32SLI-SE Deluxe that it never worked!
Tonight almost tried again, I just found a Pentium 4 640 for test.
The card was purchased used many years ago from a monkey.

2j35jqu.jpg

RETRO BATTLE X - Enermax Pro82+ 525w - DFI NFII Ultra - Athlon 2600XP-M@2.4Ghz - 2Gb DDR400 - Radeon 9700Pro + SLI 3Dfx Voodoo II - Creative Audigy4 Pro - 500Gb WD Ultra Dma/133 - WinXP SP3

Reply 15 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

The same sort of people are those who voted for eight years of Bush and another eight years of Obama, I absolutely dread another eight years of incompetence of Trump or God forbid Hillary.

Aye. No wonder a conversation about idiots turns to the government... 🤣

nforce4max wrote:

The worst part of any day is commuting back and forth, people are so SLOW getting through lights and signs!

No kidding! I live in a town of about 40,000 people, and just in the last two months it seems like the population has doubled, the traffic has gotten so bad so fast. Nobody in my family can explain it, except that suddenly aliens came down to earth, dropped 20,000 extra people on the town, and zapped them with "stupidity" rays. 😉
EDIT:

hwswITA wrote:

The card was purchased used many years ago from a monkey.

What kind of monkey? Chimpanzee? Lemur? Maybe his job was reproducing the works of Shakespeare... 😁

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 16 of 16, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About 25 years ago, I was working at Namco in the fast track for a lower echelon officer position. While learn the ropes required game maintenance, diagnostics, repairs, modification, and rebuilding/kitting, out it was pretty easy to pick up. Or so I thought. It was the first time I had been in a job that stupid people could be allowed to make $30,000.00+ mistakes. I still remember coming into work one day to find out that a not too tech savy employee had used razors and cutters on some molex connectors to get a twin linked Suzaka 8 hours setup going from repairs to one units PSU. Needless to say, it fried all the logic boards, every bike sensor, and 2 monitors. Bang, over $40k in damage with the flick of a switch by a single moron. I spent the next 2 weeks rebuilding both systems and the company lost at least a couple grand from game down time. Had another idiot rewire several games with all one color wire (yellow if you must know) because he thought it looked cleaner to have one color. The nightmare of maintenance on a jamma harness that is all yellow is enough to drive somebody to kill, let alone a half dozen machines. It drove me nuts. Then I discovered that technicians and engineers don't work well together. Had one guy who was about to graduate with his electronics engineering degree who simply could not figure out how to use a soldering iron to save his life. Every single joint he made was about .5mm in diameter and used 8 to 10 inches if solder. Ever seen a 20 pin dip with 20 blobs of solder that were bigger than the package? Wait till you see an entire logic board rebuilt that way. One single PCB that the majority of a half pound reel of solder. This was from somebody who was about two months from his master's degree in electronics engineering.

Since then I've seen amazing acts of stupidity. Even watched a quarter million dollar server fall through an incorrectly built rack, taking out have the company network for two days (we had about 2 thousand people who did nothing for almost 48 hours). In the end, it cost over half a million in damage and down time because someone didn't read the manual when building a new rack.