VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I have a 486 Compaq all-in-one machine with an external LPT CD-ROM. However, this machine only has a regular parallel port, and so it's only usable for data transfer and not playing games that rely on having a 4x or even a 2x drive (such as Full Throttle or The Dig). I really enjoy this machine so I want to make it able to play as many games as possible. So I want to get an LPT controller. Couple of questions, though I imagine not many people have bothered with this kind of issue:

1) according to Wikipedia, to get a 2 MB/s or 2.5 MB/s speed I need to get an EPP or ECP-capable controller. However, I remember someone on this forum saying that LPT CD drives can use a lot of CPU power, making the game unplayable. EPP is supposed to be CPU-demanding, while ECP isn't (not the other way around, thanks @bjt). So, from my understanding, if I get an ECP card, I'll be fine. Is that true?

2) LPT controllers aren't exactly highly desirable items, so while there a lot of cheap ones available, I don't expect most sellers know the specs of their controllers or have the patience to plug the card into an actual machine and run NSSI. Are there any visual tells of an EPP card vs a regular PP? Are there any common cards with such capabilities?

Thanks.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-03-17, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

I think it's ECP that has potentially lower CPU utilization via DMA.

Re-read Wikipedia again, seems like you're right, fixed the original post:

Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) is a half-duplex bi-directional interface designed to allow devices like printers, scanners, or storage devices to transmit large amounts of data while quickly being able to switch channel direction. EPP can provide up to 2 MByte/s bandwidth, approximately 15 times the speed achieved with normal parallel-port communication with far less CPU overhead.[1]

Extended Capability Port (ECP) is a half-duplex bi-directional interface similar to EPP, except that PC implementations use direct memory access (usually ISA DMA on channel 3) to provide even faster data transfer than EPP by having the ISA DMA hardware and the parallel port interface hardware handle the work of transferring the data instead of letting the CPU do this work. Many devices that interface using this mode support RLE compression. ECP can provide up to 2.5 MByte/s of bandwidth, which is the natural limit of 8-bit ISA DMA.[2] An ECP interface on a PC can improve transfers to pre-IEEE-1284 printers as well, by reducing the CPU load during the transfer ; however, the transfer in that case is unidirectional.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

Searching for "ISA ECP EPP" items on ebay shows a few cards that would suit your machine.

Shipping from ebay to Russia would be an overkill for an LPT card, unfortunately. I mean, there are a lot of cards available here for 2-3 dollars a piece (less than the price of ebay shipment), but like I said, sellers do not specify the specs.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 7, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option would be ISA PCMCIA interface card, it's faster but you would need to buy a CD drive as well, and the memory requirements are often larger...
I guess it depends how much money you're willing to pay for the LPT card in total, as always...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 6 of 7, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think any highly integrated (e.g. Winbond) 16-bit multi I/O card will support ECP, just disable the other bits if you don't need them.
A tell-tale would be jumpers to select the LPT DMA channel.

Reply 7 of 7, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I could find, very few if any parallel port drives support ECP in any form. Some do support EPP.
(cribbed from documentation for the linux paride driver: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/blockdev/paride.txt)

A better option on the longer term might be to go for an ISA (or PCI) SCSI card instead. It'll give much better speed and connectivity options for external drives.