VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of CT2940 cards and one has the Yamaha OPL3 chip. I was really amazed to find out recently that this is a pretty awesome card to have and is considered by some to be one of the best options out there for a good all-around ISA sound card for DOS games. It is currently being used in my DOS gaming system. The system currently consists of a Tyan Tomcat S1563S 430HX AT motherboard, Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 2x32MB 60ns EDO, STB Velocity 3D (Virge VX), Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo Graphics, Western Digital Caviar 2.3GB hard drive and a 48x CDROM.

Now, I figured if I'm shooting for a really awesome system from this era (CPU is a bit overpowered and I actually removed some RAM because it wasn't usable or needed in DOS games), I'd like to get familiarized with wavetable music as well. I've always liked the music in old games, but have only recently started to understand what is going on with the various FM and midi music types. I'm still quite clueless about it... but it seems like the best case scenario for music would be something that could provide the genuine "as it was intended to sound" Yamaha OPL3 music, as well as updated soundfonts if you choose that option. Am I right in saying that I could simply select one or the other in the music setup of a game, depending on which I liked more?

I stumbled upon the CT1922 (Goldfinch) cards that provide the wavetable features of the AWE32 for other sound cards, and I'm wondering if it would easily work with my CT2940. I can't seem to find anything online that actually shows what all of the various connectors on the CT2940 are for. I'd prefer to not have to modify either card if possible, but if its necessary and might be worth it, I'd get one to basically "finish off" my DOS system.

What do you guys think? Should I get one of these if its reasonably cheap? And what would be the least expensive way to get memory for it? Does it need a pair of SIMMs or just a single one?

I also have several other sound card options. I was using a CT2230 (also with Yamaha OPL3) but in some games I was getting a loud blip\crackle sound before and after some sound effects, so I decided to try something a bit more up to date. I also have a Soundblaster AWE64 CT4380, another CT2940 without the Yamaha OPL3, one of the large Aztech cards from Packard Bell systems (with Yamaha OPL3) and several other misc cards that are less interesting. For PCI cards I have an Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 (the original blue one!), a Turtle Beach Montego II Vortex 2, many Sound Blaster Live! variants, sound TB Santa Cruz cards, a Labway Yamaha XG YMF724F-V (and I actually found a 6 pin cable to hook it up to a Sblink port if I ever find a compatible board!) and many others...

Anyway... I love sound cards... always have. 😀

... I'm much more familiar with video cards though. 😮

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The goldfinch is supposed to work with any sound card because in-fact it doesn't need a sound card in the system at all, it's a standalone card with its own drivers. In reality I've found that it works better with some sound cards than with others, why that is I don't know. But I do know that it'll work A-OK with that Vibra of yours, and the CT2940 even appears to have the relevant header so you can connect the Goldfinch directly to it internally.

I'm a big fan of the SB16 (CT2290 in my case) + Goldfinch + onboard RAM + sound fonts option. It's a 2 slot solution but covers a whole lot of ground relatively cheaply.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a system with a CT2940 combined with the Goldfinch card. It works well. Since I soldered on a jackplug and coax connector there are multiple ways to connect the goldfinch. But it is currently connected with an ordinary "CD-ROM analog audio cable". This cable goes to the CD-in header of the CT2940. Connecting it like this requires no soldering.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

But it is currently connected with an ordinary "CD-ROM analog audio cable". This cable goes to the CD-in header of the CT2940. Connecting it like this requires no soldering.

But then you can't use the CD-in header for the CD-ROM drive anymore, is that correct? A google images search of the CT2940 suggested to me that it had the "goldfinch" header, allowing a direct connection there. Is that not the case? Do any sound cards have this header, or were they only provided on motherboards?

Reply 4 of 16, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No header on the CT2940, unfortunately. The CT2960 has that header, an entirely different card. But you do find AUX inputs beside the CD in.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So... Which is it? 😀

Seems like a picture of the goldfinch connector on the 2940 or on another card would settle this. I don't have a goldfinch card and I can't find much online about them so I don't know to look for.

This is similar to my card (except mine has the IDE connector and the row of five chips on the left edge):
http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/video/ct2940.jpg

Is there any way to get a goldfinch card attached to this without losing CD audio or anything else?

Edit: I just realized that my ct2940 (like there one in the picture above) has two different types of CD inputs. I'd it possible to use one for CD audio and the other for the Goldfinch?

Reply 6 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't use CD's much myself, so I never thought of it as a problem.
Pretty sure those two CD input connectors are electrically the same input channel. It may conflict if you attach two devices (CD-ROM+Goldfinch). You could use the line-in channel. Normally you use the jackplug line-in, but supposedly the MB_Pro header contains a line-in connector as well: Soundblaster MB_PRO pinout (This is untested!)

Reply 7 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would one of the aux inputs work?

Also, where can I find a pinout for the ct1922's various connectors?

Thanks so much for the help!

Reply 8 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you go:

CT1920_users_guide_page72.png
Filename
CT1920_users_guide_page72.png
File size
25.1 KiB
Views
File comment
CT1920_users_guide.pdf page72
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just noticed there is a problem with the mentioned MB_Pro header pinout: Why is the MB_Pro pinout not showing Line-in Right and Left?

Reply 9 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for that!

I found an extremely useful page with what looks like the pinouts for almost any Creative sound card under the sun:

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=3026

Also, since things tend to go "missing" online (like all of the references I keep finding to "Quest Studios" forums, which no longer exist), I'm going to attach a copy of that page with pictures, zipped in an archive.

Some useful info:

Goldfinch Connector:

goldfinch.jpg
Filename
goldfinch.jpg
File size
5.44 KiB
Views
File license

1 Right Channel
2 Ground
3 Left Channel
4 Ground
5 Key
6 Ground
7 Ground
8 Ground

MBPro Header:

mbpro.jpg
Filename
mbpro.jpg
File size
5.81 KiB
Views
File license

1 AGND
2 Key
3 Line-In
4 AGND
5 Line-Left
6 ANGD
7 Line-Right
8 Modem-Spk
9 AGND
10 Mic-In

So, is it as simple as running 1,2,3,4 from the Goldfinch to 7,6,5,4 respectively on the MBPro header of my CT2940?

Attachments

• Filename
    sbpinouts.zip
    File size
    324.21 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Pretty sure those two CD input connectors are electrically the same input channel. It may conflict if you attach two devices (CD-ROM+Goldfinch).

Right you are, connecting an input to more than one CD-IN (or hacking up a cable to connect 2 devices to a single CD-IN) messes things up.

In the end I added a 3.5 stereo jack to my CT1920 and use the SB16's external line-in:

Pentium 166MMX tower of power

Reply 11 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woo hoo, managed to get two of these, brand new from eBay for $22 shipped. No cables sadly, but it looks like I'll be cobbling something together one way or another anyway.

Is there any reason that the MBPro to Goldfinch idea I posted above wouldn't work?

Also, what kind of software do I need to get this working in DOS and Windows 3.1?

Reply 12 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see any reason for it not to work, as long as your mixer software lets you set the MBpro channel to the right level.

Vogon drivers has your software needs covered for the Goldfinch.

Reply 13 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've looked in the Vogons Drivers and the only files I can find for the Goldfinch are the Windows 3.1 and 95 drivers in this collection:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=13

Also, what mixer would you recommend? This is totally new territory for me...

Reply 14 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I found the driver on that page... somehow overlooked it because it was a CD image.

Anyway, I got my cards... and they are definitely brand new! They are marked CT1920 (not CT1922), and are basically identical to all the pictures online.

I created a cable to connect the MBPro header on my CT2940 to the Goldfinch connector on my CT1920. I wired it exactly as I mentioned in my earlier post (running 1,2,3,4 from the Goldfinch to 7,6,5,4 respectively on the MBPro) and after installing the drivers, it does work but the output is really scratchy and distorted when I run awediag. I can hear the music... but something's just wrong. When I do the music test in Descent's sound setup it does play but it sounds like its missing something... its very tinny and sort of scratchy sounding. I also noticed that the mixer "Line" volume doesn't seem to have any effect on the volume of the music in the awediag program.

Is it possible that I need to use different ground connections on the cards? Does this sound like a physical\electrical\wiring issue, or a software\setup issue?

I'll keep experimenting, but any feedback would be much appreciated!

Reply 15 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woohoo! I got it working!

My totally uneducated guess would be that the MBPro header does something "strange" with the Line In left and right signals, or is expecting something different than what the Goldfinch header is sending out. When I connect from the Goldfinch to the CD-IN connector (the wider, newer style because it was easier to swap in a flat four pin connector than the small white ones), it works beautifully! It is controlled with CD volume, rather than line-in, but that doesn't seem to be a problem at this point. I also just connected my CD audio cable to one of the "AUX" jacks and it also works perfectly fine. Apparently AUX1 (don't know about AUX2) is controlled as CD in the mixer, without having any of the issues that might arise from having both CDIN jacks in use (they are wired together directly).

As a side note, I almost considered doing the external Line-Out jack method, but when I used a continuity tester on all of the pins of my CT2940's "Line In" jack... it says all but ground are connected together... which blew my mind and I didn't even want to try to figure out... What's the deal with this? It can't be a mono input can it? Or does this circuit change when the card is powered?

Now, all I need to do is get some 30pin memory so I can play with some juicy sound fonts. I have lots of 72pin and newer, but no 30pin.

What is a cost effective way to get 30pin memory for a card like this, and how much is ideal? I know it goes to 28MB but is that practical?

Reply 16 of 16, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351299385517?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That worked for me in AWE32. It says "Macintosh" but it's really just generic memory.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O