VOGONS

Ive got a AST Advantage Pro 486 with a bad PSU i'd be willing to trade

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note: I couldn't find the rule page easily so im leaving this as a fornote if this is against the rules, admin please delete it. or if its in the wrong forum move it. Ive seen people with trade references in there sigs so i assume this is no different.

Fornote: THIS SYSTEM HAS NOT RAN IN ATLEAST 10-15 YEARS and NEVER IN THE TIME FRAME I HAVE OWNED IT
Titles says it mostly. Bad Power Supply Unit i think is the issue. The fan moves a quarter rotation and the PSU makes a whining sound (faint) when the switch is flipped. The power supply unit is unique to AST Research 486 machines, non standard connectors etc you would most likely have to repair this yourself. Has some rust on the rear VGA and Parrelel ports but they should still work since the pins are good. Corosion on casing but the board is fine. Specs as shipped are:

Intel 486/25MHZ (On board, no socket to remove it from), Has Intel Overdrive Socket.
8MB of RAM.
3.25 Inch floppy Drive
Tape Drive (Needs Ribbon cable)
Matusuku CD-ROM (Needs Ribbon Cable)
Board has: 4 ISA, 4 RAM Slots, Uses Silver Contact RAM

I have the following that will not be included by default but i would consider sending if offered more trade/value:

90MHZ Overdrive CPU that im not 100 percent sure was ever suppose to be used with that board.
90MHZ Socket 7 Pentium (throwing that in incase anyone wants it)
another Matusuku CD-ROM
another Floppy Drive
24 more MB of RAM
May have some gold contacted pre-SD RAM somewhere too. Not sure how much though.

Would trade for AGP or PCI graphics cards or PCI sound cards. Would consider certain pre-geforce 8 PCI-E cards. Currently looking for an LeakTek Winfast A350 GeForce FX5950 Ultra or GeForce256. Looking for around 100-200 USD (Possibly with some of the extras thrown in depending on how much were talking) in trade (not sure what its worth really) + 30 dollers for shipping (this thing weighs a ton) as it seems these AST systems are pretty sought after considering working ones are running around 600 on ebay. Again i could have massivly overshot the value so if im wrong nothings set in stone. I just dont have the skills to repair the damn PSU without killing myself in the process and id prefer a lesser value in working hardware than a greater value in that needing repairs beyond my skills.

Would part out the extras but not the PC. Ive added in a few of those because i got them in a box of parts when i acquired the PC. I think those parts match that PC excluding the CD Drive which ive installed to increase the value.

You can find old reviews of this machine in various PC Magazines stored on Google Books. Search Term "AST Advantage Pro 486/25"

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction