VOGONS

Last native AGP Radeon

Topic actions

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the last AGP native Nvideo graphics cards that do not use a bridge chip seem to be the 6800 OC and 6800 Ultra but I'm having a little trouble finding the last native AGP Radeon cards. anyone know?

Reply 4 of 43, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be the X850XT PE.

The X1950 Pro uses a bridge chip. It can be found on the back of the card with a little pad around it.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 43, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last native AGP is R481 or X850 XT.
Platinum Edition (PE), is an overclocked version of XT model (harder to get, little faster - XT can be OC'ed to PE levels tho).
Also : U should know that X800 series from ATI does not support DirectX 9c (or Shader Model 3.0).

157143230295.png

Reply 7 of 43, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Why do you value native AGP? I never have had any problems with the bridge based cards.

Because cards like the 6600GT can cause issues when trying to run them on 440BX for example. Most common issue is that they won't POST. I've seen it a couple of times.

Reply 8 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
vetz wrote:

Why do you value native AGP? I never have had any problems with the bridge based cards.

Because cards like the 6600GT can cause issues when trying to run them on 440BX for example. Most common issue is that they won't POST. I've seen it a couple of times.

How is this even an issue? Isn't the early boards 3.3v only, while the bridged cards are AGP 1.5/0.8? I can see it may cause issues on some of the universal slot boards, but they are not that common.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 43, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my experience, the AGP 6600GT is a particularly difficult card to get going. I have 4 and only the non reference Palit works.

However the X1950 Pro works fine.

Much easier is getting a 6800 GT, that cards is native AGP and works great in all the motherboards I tried (Socket A, 478 and 754, 939)

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 43, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All ATi GPUs after R300 are AGP 4/8x only - so not compatible with 440BX. And even if they were, any PIII CPU would seriously bottleneck it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11 of 43, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

How is this even an issue? Isn't the early boards 3.3v only, while the bridged cards are AGP 1.5/0.8? I can see it may cause issues on some of the universal slot boards, but they are not that common.

havli wrote:

All ATi GPUs after R300 are AGP 4/8x only - so not compatible with 440BX. And even if they were, any PIII CPU would seriously bottleneck it.

Don't underestimate the power of universal AGP slots and the need for insane levels of AA and AF 🤣 .
Some VIA boards also have issues with bridged cards AFAIK, but I've mostly seen it on 440BX. Either way, it's pretty niche stuff.

Reply 12 of 43, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's just for a fun project I'm working on. Running a dual tualatin setup with a universal agp slot and a via chipset. It locks up and outputs garbage if I use anything with a bridge chip. Just wanting to see the fastest card that will run in it. Running a 6800 OC now but stuff like crysis still isn't maxing cpu usage, at least according to msi afterburner.

Reply 13 of 43, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Actually you can go up to R350 on BX.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 43, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:

It's just for a fun project I'm working on. Running a dual tualatin setup with a universal agp slot and a via chipset. It locks up and outputs garbage if I use anything with a bridge chip. Just wanting to see the fastest card that will run in it. Running a 6800 OC now but stuff like crysis still isn't maxing cpu usage, at least according to msi afterburner.

Well get a 6800 Ultra fastest card for Crysis which I think requires SM 3.0 so using any native ATI solution is out of the question.

Reply 15 of 43, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

Well get a 6800 Ultra fastest card for Crysis which I think requires SM 3.0 so using any native ATI solution is out of the question.

thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any at a reasonable price. I considered a 6800 ultra but I wasn't sure if those were all that much more powerful then a 6800 OC to bother.

Reply 17 of 43, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I hope the 6800 is just for testing in Crysis, you wont get playable framerates

oh no, its just a project. not intending to seriously play the game on this rig.

Reply 18 of 43, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:
candle_86 wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any at a reasonable price. I considered a 6800 ultra but I wasn't sure if those were all that much more powerful then a 6800 OC to bother.

Well a 6800 Ultra can usually OC to 500/1200 while a 6800 can usually hit 425/800

The GT and Ultra have GDDR3 while the 6800 Vanilla has DDR

Also 128mb vs 256mb Ram

Also there is the 6800 Ultra Extreme 512mb cards