VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ReeseRiverson, zerker

So the 88 changes the sound immediately when the Map is changed from the front panel then.
So then if Doom E1M1 is playing in 88 map and you select the SC-55 map on the front panel the Guitar sound changes right away, Correct?

Thank you all for testing.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 21 of 26, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just about. If a note is already playing on one map, it doesn't appear to switch until the next note starts. At least, from my brief experiments. But it's hard to tell for sure unless someone has a good example with long hanging notes to test with 😀

Reply 22 of 26, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own an SC-8820, and I'm getting different results than mentioned. When I switch maps while a song is playing, the change is instantaneous. It's most noticeable with the 55 and 88 maps, as to me the 88Pro and 8820 maps are very close sounding compared to the others, at least for the songs I listen to.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 24 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-12, 04:32:

Is the 8820 really aftermarket Japan only?

I am not sure what you mean by aftermarket, but the SC-8820 sold and marketed ourside of Japan, as was the closely related SC-D70 .

However, the best way to get one now is usually to order one from Japan as these units seem to have been more common in that market .

The SC-D70 also doubles as USB sound card with digital I/O and seems to work even under Win 10 x64 using Vista x64 drivers (I have only listened to some FLAC files using it) . I am very happy with mine .