VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone got one? There's a (34") Toshiba 34HF83 available for free on the local used site. From the specs, it's enormous, and heavy.

Would go to my "games cabinet" which consists of a PS1, PS2 & Dreamcast on S-Video (until I find cables for something better) and a P4-based PC which could use the DVI port. Also looking to pick up a Wii in the future. It'd replace a Toshiba 20" SD CRT that I actually quite like.

I assume the DVI port means this thing handles VGA hsync as well as NTSC/PAL? There's no physical VGA port on it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get your hands on a 34" CRT HDTV with a DVI port for free then its worth the trouble. It can probably show 4:3 content correctly and you will not find any 4:3 CRT HDTVs anyhow. There are a few 4:3 CRT monitors that are larger than 30" but they are ultra rare and normally won't go very high in resulotion so a 16:9 CRT HDTV is probably the best you can get.

You can read about your new CRT HDTV here.

http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailpage.aspx?id=6559

The specifications look good. I would drive 500km (311 miles) or more to pick up that thing if I had the chance. 😁 Sweden got HDTV transmissions very late so there are very very few CRT HDTVs here. The early HDTVs we had were expensive 65"+ back-projection ones, they were not even that good.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 8, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Panasonic 34" CRT HDTV. I'm at work, so I can't give you the exact model, but it's part of the Tau series. It doesn't have any fancy digital inputs, but it does take up to 1080i through component. It weighs a frickin ton, but produces a fantastic picture. Great color saturation, and the black levels are as good as on my big F8500 plasma TV. When the screen is blank you can't even tell it's on unless all the lights are out.

I use it all the time for laserdisc viewing. It also serves as the display for my basement HTPC. Netflix HD looks gorgeous on it.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 8, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen them but the Sony models seem to have awful comb filters so even with DVI/HDMI in it doesn't look all that nice on the screen.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 5 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Samsung has a slimfit series of CRT HDTV's I currently have a 4:3 that's around 20some inches. has everything from RF to 1 HDMI port and does up to 1080i. the biggest selling point of these sets is despite being CRT's they don't weigh a ton or take up as much space as a traditional CRT of the same size. They do tend to suffer from some geometry issues though. I pretty much use it for 480P stuff like the Wii, original Xbox and select PS2 games since my Wii looks absolutely horrible on my 4k LCD.

It does the job but I'm not to impressed with the 4:3 model I currently have, maybe its just the set but I will say way back in the mid 2000's I bought a Samsung slimfit 30" widescreen model and it was probably one of the nicest TV's I've ever owned. classic games actually looked really good on it (for being HD)

Reply 6 of 8, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

You can read about your new CRT HDTV here.

http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailpage.aspx?id=6559.

166 lbs! It'll be horribly heavy and awkward to move around.

Reply 7 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah that weighs more than I do. It also won't fit in my car, but I can borrow one that will swallow it with the rear seats down.

Fortunately this thing comes with its own matching TV stand that has lots of space underneath for consoles, etc. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Still not sure I'm gonna go for it though, I hardly get time to use the one I already have and it's going to be a crap ton of effort to move it in.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:

166 lbs! It'll be horribly heavy and awkward to move around.

That's impressive 😁

YouTube, Facebook, Website