VOGONS

First post, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well why is this thread here?
Not all server stuff is retro and not all retro is server xD
I know here some people here interested in this kind of stuff
And also here you can spam pics of your servers/switches/routers/disk shelves and such.

Ok lemme start. Today i went to my friend that works in server salvaging to get some scsi disks upgrade for mine hot-swap basket... And so i get:

Complete working HP ProLiant DL380 with spare cooler unit,spare hotswap psu and floppy/cdrom scsi unit
9x 146Gb scsi disks and 6x 300Gb scsi disks all of em is Ultra 320 scsi
Few riser cards and as i find out Itanium 2 😒
7A5rX1Nl.jpg
G8zWYwWl.jpg
MAMn8nfl.jpg

As first i thought it's HP PA-RISC(with 64mb l2) cpu in adapter(he has some of em disassembled) that i need in my cpu collection.
But this bad boy is Intel Itanium 2 9040 (1.6ghz dual core with Hyper-Threading)
(Funny fact but when this cpu was introducted in 2006 year price was 1980$)
0IKi8jkl.jpg
A83flfFl.jpg
xjV3SG9l.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 1 of 56, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn. Someone was trying to get rid of one of these on Gumtree a couple of months ago and I disregarded it. Didn't consider it might have ultra wide drives in it or an Itanium! More fool me. Have fun playing with this 😀

Edit: collection only, obviously, but too many miles for me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Proliant-MSA20-D … XQAAOSwwpdW3ypv

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Damn. Someone was trying to get rid of one of these on Gumtree a couple of months ago and I disregarded it. Didn't consider it might have ultra wide drives in it or an Itanium! More fool me. Have fun playing with this 😀

Edit: collection only, obviously, but too many miles for me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Proliant-MSA20-D … XQAAOSwwpdW3ypv

Oldie but still usable tho,guy who gave me all it as well have some spare 1U and nice 5U 8 cpu SUN servers.
If i get some more free space it can be considered as time for experiments has begun 😈

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3 of 56, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice score! I've looked at those 1U/2U servers a bunch of times but they're so *long* they'd be just about impossible for me to fit in to my setup in any convenient way. I wish they'd managed to make a more square/pizza box format standard instead.

They seem to be a good way to get a lot of horsepower in a very robust package for cheap though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Nice score! I've looked at those 1U/2U servers a bunch of times but they're so *long* they'd be just about impossible for me to fit in to my setup in any convenient way. I wish they'd managed to make a more square/pizza box format standard instead.

They seem to be a good way to get a lot of horsepower in a very robust package for cheap though.

Thanks!
As i know Supermicro still selling some short(about 1/2 of this HP) 1U cases,u can check out on ebay,i had one of those w/o cover

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 6 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Nice findings! Server-grade hardware is always cool, no matter how old it is. 😀

What's the model/gen of that Proliant?

DL380 G3 stuffed with dual 2.8Ghz Xeon 8gb(2x2 and 4x1) Reg DDR1 6x146 SCSI drives also came with nice combined pci-x nic/scsi card

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 7 of 56, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Had the fortune of locally picking up a ML350 G5 server for peanuts along with 2 desktop pc's

This will replace my Dell PE1900 server as its faster and so much quieter!

Spec of the server was pretty good and has now been beefed up

2 x Xeon E5420's
4GB ram [originally now 14GB]

No drives included but plenty of spares at home to use 😀

$_57 (1).JPG
Filename
$_57 (1).JPG
File size
288.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
$_57 (6).JPG
Filename
$_57 (6).JPG
File size
309.73 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 56, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_1007.JPG
Filename
IMG_1007.JPG
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1006.JPG
Filename
IMG_1006.JPG
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

Had this IBM for ages, it does work but too noisy by far for me. Dual Xeon prestonia's and 5!!! 36GB SCSI hard drives, all the RAM slots are full too, it has Ati RAGE XL graphics but also has a AGP slot. I robbed out the CD-rom and floppy drives. If any wants this thing free then send me a PM, shipping will be horrid though, it was a nightmare on my own up 3 flights of stairs.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mr_ppp wrote:
Hi all […]
Show full quote

Hi all

Had the fortune of locally picking up a ML350 G5 server for peanuts along with 2 desktop pc's

This will replace my Dell PE1900 server as its faster and so much quieter!

Spec of the server was pretty good and has now been beefed up

2 x Xeon E5420's
4GB ram [originally now 14GB]

No drives included but plenty of spares at home to use 😀

$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (6).JPG

Congrats,nice one! i like Hp chassis just right after Supermicro,how loud Dell was,btw?

BSA Starfire wrote:
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG

Had this IBM for ages, it does work but too noisy by far for me. Dual Xeon prestonia's and 5!!! 36GB SCSI hard drives, all the RAM slots are full too, it has Ati RAGE XL graphics but also has a AGP slot. I robbed out the CD-rom and floppy drives. If any wants this thing free then send me a PM, shipping will be horrid though, it was a nightmare on my own up 3 flights of stairs.

I had built one game station with dual Prestonias once,on Asus PCH-DL was combined with 2 gb ddr1 and agp radeon hd4670 all i remember is i was dissapointed with game performance,even non highly oc'd P4 beated crap out of it 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10 of 56, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good work with the Itanium. I've been looking out for Itanium gear myself but it's still very expensive, even the older stuff.

I have several Proliant ML 350 G4s. The mobo of one is my file server. It has 6 GB RAM, twin 3.60 GHz Irwindales and eight 2 TB SATA drives. Getting it into another case was a PITA though because of its non-standard PSU. (That long thing in the picture.) I had to get hold of the non-redundant PSU for this model which is regular ATX-sized. I'd like to know if there's a way of getting regular ATX PSUs to work with it, maybe rewiring the connector.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

Good work with the Itanium. I've been looking out for Itanium gear myself but it's still very expensive, even the older stuff.

I have several Proliant ML 350 G4s. The mobo of one is my file server. It has 6 GB RAM, twin 3.60 GHz Irwindales and eight 2 TB SATA drives. Getting it into another case was a PITA though because of its non-standard PSU. (That long thing in the picture.) I had to get hold of the non-redundant PSU for this model which is regular ATX-sized. I'd like to know if there's a way of getting regular ATX PSUs to work with it, maybe rewiring the connector.

If i get some more free space i can obtain 2U or 3U server(not sure which manufacturer and model exactly but) with dual Itainiums from same guy,only problem for it is missing proprietary PSU.
And yep skt604 still fine for storage needs,domain or light game servers for Starbound or Terraria (just imo personal exp) 🤣

If you have original cradle for PSUs can try rewiring,its looks quite (except 20 more connectors) standard at ML350 G4,so with common single ATX PSU at any of em it did not start?

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 13 of 56, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I got myself an Intel SDS2 board with dual 1.26 Tualatins for next to nothing, but had no memory modules and 8pin power supply to test it with. After getting a 4-to-8pin adapter and two PC133R ECC 512MB modules, it's finally alive! On the plus side, this board fits in a standard tower, on the other hand it doesn't sport an AGP slot (only PCI-X), thus my choices with regard to video cards are limited. (The on-board ATi RAGE XL/4mb is rather poor for desktop use hehe). In fact, my only "recent" PCI graphics adapters are a RIVA TNT2 M64 and a Voodoo3 3000... Would you go the V3-3000 or the RIVA+V2 way (or something else)?

What troubles me, however, is that either CPU-Z seems to report wrong(?) CPU clock speeds or the bus speed seems to fluctuate between 133mhz to 154mhz(!). I have noticed neither any instabilities whatsoever when running Windows XP, nor heat issues anywhere. Could it just be a wrong reading due to the ServerWorks chipset not being supported by CPU-Z or something, or is some component on the board failing?

Attachments

• WP_20160413_007.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20160413_007.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    pic shot at 136mhz bus speed... goes sky high every now and then!!!
    File license
  • WP_20160412_012.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20160412_012.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    cool bootscreen with a progress bar on top
    File license
  • WP_20160412_010.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20160412_010.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    normal bootscreen (logo disabled)
    File license
  • WP_20160413_003.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20160413_003.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    i was completely floored by this motherboard =p
    File license
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 14 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

No, IIRC I tried plugging in a regular ATX PSU, even two at the same time, and it wouldn't power on.

Is this with one mobo only,or you already tried with another?

psychz wrote:

Recently I got myself an Intel SDS2 board with dual 1.26 Tualatins for next to nothing, but had no memory modules and 8pin power supply to test it with. After getting a 4-to-8pin adapter and two PC133R ECC 512MB modules, it's finally alive! On the plus side, this board fits in a standard tower, on the other hand it doesn't sport an AGP slot (only PCI-X), thus my choices with regard to video cards are limited. (The on-board ATi RAGE XL/4mb is rather poor for desktop use hehe). In fact, my only "recent" PCI graphics adapters are a RIVA TNT2 M64 and a Voodoo3 3000... Would you go the V3-3000 or the RIVA+V2 way (or something else)?

What troubles me, however, is that either CPU-Z seems to report wrong(?) CPU clock speeds or the bus speed seems to fluctuate between 133mhz to 154mhz(!). I have noticed neither any instabilities whatsoever when running Windows XP, nor heat issues anywhere. Could it just be a wrong reading due to the ServerWorks chipset not being supported by CPU-Z or something, or is some component on the board failing?

Already posted it in another thread,here how's mine s370 looks like:
BYXyV65l.jpg
After getting pci v3 my lazy ass still didn't install it on...

And seems with cpu-z it common at serverworks chipset on XP
xKKSuT2l.png
30or2l6l.png
TEbryCgl.png

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 15 of 56, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:
Errius wrote:

No, IIRC I tried plugging in a regular ATX PSU, even two at the same time, and it wouldn't power on.

Is this with one mobo only,or you already tried with another?

I believe I tried it with 2 mobos, a G4 and a G4p, with no luck.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 16 of 56, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to take backup really seriously and would do proper tape runs regularly, just because I had a DDS3 drive I'd inherited from upgrading to an AIT drive at work. It was external and it eventually broke and I chucked it after an attempt at repair failed. For years I haven't taken backup seriously (but haven't had a server either) except for putting family photos on the cloud. So when I got a server again and was centralising my storage, I noticed a load of files missing from my Mac software partition. I know most of those files are on the tapes from before so I went looking for a DATE drive.

Found a rather nice Seagate unit on eBay and happened to the the only one interested in it so, 99p and £5 shipping later, it has arrived. Now all I need is a SCSI cable which, absurdly, is possibly the only cable I DON'T own.

20160503_212206-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160503_212206-1200x2133.jpg
File size
289.55 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17 of 56, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just won a dual XEON socket 603 board on ebay (Supermicro P4DME-M with 2x 2.4ghz CPUs, heatsinks, and RAM). Anybody have experience with these?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

I just won a dual XEON socket 603 board on ebay (Supermicro P4DME-M with 2x 2.4ghz CPUs, heatsinks, and RAM). Anybody have experience with these?

Dont know about exactly this one,but worked with Supermicro boards at all(some 604 and 771),few things from my experience: they made pretty solid and i never seen em dead,except one with damaged textolite,no overclockability and this generation definatly not for games (well except some good'ol classic).

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 19 of 56, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The board came in today and works, 3GB RAM. Will install either NT 4 or 2000 on it once I find a case (E-ATX) it will fit in.

Only so many super sized cases to go around.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software