VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 699, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to get windows 98 installed on my machine, but just barely. I am sure these details have been hashed out before, but here goes.

During the PnP driver auto install portion of the setup, my computer locked up twice. After the third time it managed to finish. Then on the first boot I got a black screen. I booted again into safe mode ok, and the rebooted normally and managed to get my desktop.

The SATA ports do not appear to perform IDE emulation. You get RAID and nonRAID as options. In windows 98 with DMA enabled, I managed to get speeds between 13mbs and 133mb/s reads using ATTO, but write speeds were capped at 6.5mb/s. This is probably due to a lack of proper DMA. I'll try again later with an SATA to IDE adapter on the UDMA port and see if that works any better.

I am also noticing some pretty heavy stutters and hitching, especially when using USB drives. I also noticed that he computer would fail a POST check if I had my USB drive in a USB port when I restart. No idea why, now I just make sure to pull it out when it boots.

I installed Quake II and it ran find on my voodoo 3 PCI, but for whatever reason the software rendering mode refused to run in full screen. Unreal Gold also ran just fine.

Using 98, some things, like booting, are stupid fast. But random pause and hitches (to be fair you get this even on period appropriate hardware a little) makes the experience of navigating the OS feel very herky-jerky.

I also installed an Intel 6500K, which is a 1066mhz based wolfdale 3M with an unlocked multiplier. Its an odd chip (only released in China), but it does work on this board... kind of. Under CPU configuration I see that the multiplier is unlocked, and I can change the multiplier up and down. However, once I save the settings and reboot it will revert to the default 11x every time. It also boots by default with a 200mhz FSB, but I can change that. Has anyone managed to get an unlocked conroe or kentsfeild CPU in the board? Does it let you adjust the multiplier with these CPUs?

I think I am just going to put my E5800 back in and use FSB overclocking instead.

Reply 382 of 699, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lost77 wrote:

The raid controller can use IDE emulation, press the 'tab' key at the raid bios screen to enter setup.

I set the SATA controller to RAID mode, pressed tab at the RAID bios screen, and I can see my kingston SSD drive. I only have a single drive installed. All of the options are grayed out except "Serial Number View". I can see that my HDD is in SATA mode, but I can't see a way to change it. Am I missing something?

Reply 383 of 699, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, that should be good for Windows 98. With only one drive you will not have the option to create an array. If you ever want to install Windows 2000/XP just set the SATA controller to non-RAID during installation and then set it back to RAID after installing the driver.

Reply 384 of 699, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it in SATA mode, and the performance was very poor. 1.8mb/s peak write speeds. However, using a SATA to IDE adapter in the UDMA port (blue) yields peak 111mb/s writes and 110mb/s reads. This is a little less than the theoretical 133mb/s possible. For comparison, my socket 478 machine with IDE emulation on SATA 1.5 gets 130mb/s peak reads and writes.

I installed the USB 2.0 drivers for widows 98 and they don't appear to have any effect on speed. I am getting peak read/writes of a little less than 1mb/s. At that speed, CD/DVDs are significantly faster.

Reply 386 of 699, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
On 775dual-vsta, I removed my IDE DOM SSD (8 GB) and add a 2.5 SATA 500 GB drive, the small I own.

Before, I created a 30 GB FAT32 partition and left the rest unallocated.
Windows 98 (SE) automatically found such partion and the installation started.

Next experiment will be replace the sata mechanical drive with a 30GB spare low-end SATA SSD (Kingdian).

Edit: with 500GB SATA fails due to disk/partion corruption 🙁

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 389 of 699, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the reply.
It looks a bit strange because I already installed VIA HyperionPro V524A driver through its setup.
I've got aware that the integrated sound card does not work because I can not hear anything. I installed REALTEK XP 2K ME 98 (A3.84) driver but no luck.

Reply 390 of 699, by jvidia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello friends.

I'm an owner of a 775Dual VSTA and just found this thread today.

Did I understood right and the Core4Dual bios can be flashed into the 775Dual VSTA ?? Advantages?

As for an retro build, what windows version do you advise me to put on the 775Dual VSTA? 98 or XP?

Thanks!

Reply 391 of 699, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Advantages?

Core 2 Quad support. Which is not recommended to use on Dual VSTA/4Core without VRM mods.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 392 of 699, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrgreen wrote:

Thank you for the reply.
It looks a bit strange because I already installed VIA HyperionPro V524A driver through its setup.
I've got aware that the integrated sound card does not work because I can not hear anything. I installed REALTEK XP 2K ME 98 (A3.84) driver but no luck.

As HDA ALC888 audio thing is not supported on Windows 98, I ordered a C-Media CMI8738 chinese sound card (about $3.87), I hope it will solve.

C-Media-8738.png

Reply 393 of 699, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't bother with those, ESS Solo-1 is what you need (if you want to hear anything in DOS as well).

terratec_solo1-n_ess_solo1_es1938s.jpg

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 394 of 699, by jvidia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Advantages?

Core 2 Quad support. Which is not recommended to use on Dual VSTA/4Core without VRM mods.

So, without cross-flashing BIOS and HW mods, the fastest CPU for the Asrock 775Dual VSTA is the "Intel Core 2 Duo E7600" right??

I'm with the 3.19a bios of the OP thread. Is there another better for the Asrock 775Dual VSTA?

Also what PCIe VGA do you suggest for a XP build with the Asrock 775Dual VSTA? Is the HD 5850 overkill for XP? Any other low power VGA suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply 395 of 699, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the fastest CPU for the Asrock 775Dual VSTA is the "Intel Core 2 Duo E7600" right??

Yes, although Core 2 Extreme X6800 is good choice too.

I'm with the 3.19a bios of the OP thread. Is there another better for the Asrock 775Dual VSTA?

No.

Also what PCIe VGA do you suggest for a XP build with the Asrock 775Dual VSTA? Is the HD 5850 overkill for XP?

There's no such thing as overkill, only lack of extreme anti-aliasing modes =P
5850 is mostly fine, if it works, but some games will run better on Nvidia (Splinter Cell shadows).

Any other low power VGA suggestions?

GeForce 8800GT/9800GT.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 397 of 699, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe stock frequency is lower, but X6800 have unlocked multiplier, so you can overclock it even without raising FSB.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 399 of 699, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a PCIe 2.0, so it should work without problem. Only PCIe 3.0 cards are unsupported.