VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh the extension looks like a really great addition to the design, how has that worked out for you so far? If you don't have one already, I'd like to help designing a housing for it?

You're getting it made up in ENIG rather than HASL? I made up some HardMPU midi cards in HASL a couple of years ago in hasl and sadly, the ISA connector is already showing some corrosion on the ISA connector.

Btw, for other dock types on the late pentium laptops like the 730CDT / 740XCDT, I think that possibly those could possibly work with the later docks if the later dock's SPI EEPROM is reflashed with the contents from an earlier dock type.

Reply 41 of 48, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good points on making up the PCB with ENIG, it will definitely last longer.

That said i went with the cheaper option while prototyping and see how long it lasts but ill add that note to the github notes.

They are pretty quick to make as a cheap diy, so easily replaced worst case.

The other discovery for version 2 is that using 0.8mm pcb thickness is much better.

The card was able to push deeperinto the socket. Where as using a 1.0mm thickness worked, but poked out a little (it was still nice and firm tho)

It was only an extra few dollars to get 1 x set of 0.8mm and 1x set of 1.0mm. The only disadvantage is that the 0.8mm is
bendable/flexible which is ok but might be less ideal for the vga, ps/2 sockets.

There could be merit mixing it up and using 0.8mm for the laptop socket side and then using 1.0mm for the vga ps/2 daughter pcb - but for simple build 0.8mm is the way to go.

I made a simple case cutting up perspex, drilling holes and using plastic pcb stand-off.

IMG-20220304-WA0000.jpg
Filename
IMG-20220304-WA0000.jpg
File size
280.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

While i still to run through a few more tests, im more than happy if you want to design a 3d printable case for others.

Let me know if it would help for me to make a larger pin 'sandwhich' footprint pcb to support other later models (using the same principles as this) with a idc connector footprint before i move onto my next projects.

dek

Reply 43 of 48, by Roland295

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although some time has passed since the last post here, I'd like to post this chart which I created.
I think it will be useful to people who google this topic.
I own or have owned most of these so the info is tested and verified.
My main interest is music production with vintage software so this chart was created with MIDI in mind.
However, since the MIDI and JOYSTICK ports are the same, you may find this useful for vintage gaming too.

You can find the chart here:

Filename
TOSHIBA VINTAGE DOCKS - DOS SOUND - MIDI - JOYSTICK.pdf
File size
89.83 KiB
Downloads
77 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 44 of 48, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roland295 wrote on 2023-01-08, 15:33:
Although some time has passed since the last post here, I'd like to post this chart which I created. I think it will be useful t […]
Show full quote

Although some time has passed since the last post here, I'd like to post this chart which I created.
My main interest is music production with vintage software so this chart was created with MIDI in mind.
However, since the MIDI and JOYSTICK ports are the same, you may find this useful for vintage gaming too.

That's an excellent resource thanks for sharing, it made me realise one of my other toshiba laptops has a gameport i can potentially tap into (430).

Note:
- 610CT - the ESS688 I had i'm sure had a OPL3 sound chip stuck to it - i'll see if i can find a pic to verify - but i suspect there may have been minor variations in the hardware across regions / chip availability.

Update - my bad... indeed the 610ct does have a Yamaha OPL YMF 262

20220202_190615~2.jpg
Filename
20220202_190615~2.jpg
File size
242.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 45 of 48, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland295 wrote on 2023-01-08, 15:33:
Although some time has passed since the last post here, I'd like to post this chart which I created. I think it will be useful t […]
Show full quote

Welcome to the forum and thank you for putting this list together, that's something I considered but never got around to 😀 So it's wonderful that someone has and we can refer to it in future.

Checking through the list, I believe it's all correct going from what I know of the docks I have and have looked up.

It may be worth including the Satellite 220CDS and Satellite 230CX, those are the same hardware platform as the 440CDT and use the same dock. The Satellite 1xx models have no sound hardware included, they're pentium equivalents to the non-multimedia T21xx models.

The Portegé models (300CT, 320CT, 610CT > 660CDT) should have the Portegé label. The Portege 620CT is practically identical to the 610CT and they use the same docking connector parts. The screen is 800x600 from what I recall.
The Librettos might be worth adding in, sadly none of those libretto docks have midi / gameport exposed and even PS/2 mouse/keyboard is too much to ask for on some of the docks. Those require soldering wires directly to the board to get things like midi unfortunately.

I do also wonder if it's worth making new docks for some of the laptops like the 400CDT since those may not do the same crazy authentication that the later Pentium MMX laptops did - again sorry for getting people to buy those but thank you for trying and it's good information for everyone else. I made a micro-dock for my Portege 610CT to expose its PS/2 mouse/keyboard connectors and VGA like dekkit has, but it doesn't work great yet for VGA. It is a shame the dock connectors were probably custom and dock PCBs may not always work with all connectors.

Reply 46 of 48, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... made a micro-dock for my Portege 610CT to expose its PS/2 mouse/keyboard connectors and VGA like dekkit has, but it doesn't work great yet for VGA. It is a shame the dock connectors were probably custom and dock PCBs may not always work with all connectors.

I still have spare pcbs and a few parts left over- shoot me a message either here or via the github etc - happy to send you one.

Reply 47 of 48, by Demento

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the last post was made a year ago but any chance someone could make a simple pcb to access the gameport on a satellite pro 4300 (for reference the port replicator for this one is PA2731UE), the connector is very different from the portege 610t one. I have 2 working units, i could send pics or do some measurements with a multimeter if anyone is interested

Reply 48 of 48, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demento wrote on 2024-01-04, 15:23:

I know the last post was made a year ago but any chance someone could make a simple pcb to access the gameport on a satellite pro 4300 (for reference the port replicator for this one is PA2731UE), the connector is very different from the portege 610t one. I have 2 working units, i could send pics or do some measurements with a multimeter if anyone is interested

Sure - can you post photos of the port , the pin out, and check the gap/spaces between the pins?

It actually shouldnt be too much work to adapt the design to this if the port is very similar. I dont have access to the hardware but im happy to help as long as you are not in a rush.

If your relatively comfortable with basic electronics - you'd be surprised at how quick the free online easyeda (cad tool) is to pickup and use and then send pcbs to be made.

If you can collate all the info - I'll try and help where I can and create another open pcb design.

dek