VOGONS

First post, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got one of these on ebay and made my own breakout cable using Keropi's directions.
I have it installed in a 486, and while windows 95 detects it, and the DOS MQ Diagnostic can detect it, it is not sending signals to my MT32, which worked just fine before when I used it via my SB16's UART MPU-401.

I even removed my SB16 to ensure there was no conflicts, and slowed down my 486 by disabling caches and pressing the turbo button, but there's no signals being sent to the MT32.

Anyone have experience with these?
The Z80 on it gets a little warm after leaving it on for a while, so I ordered a replacement chip just in case...

Is there anything I can do in the diagnostic program to test it out? I have no clue what most of the stuff in there means.

Reply 1 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is normal for the Z8 to get warm, that's not the problem 😀
When you say the diagnostics detect the MPU , do you get a screen similar to this? (perhaps a different eprom version in yours but the rest should be the same)

WP_20140625_001_zps50d43afe.jpg

If you do get that then there must be a mistake in the cable or some component in the card failed and the signal does not reach the output DB9 connector. Can you post a picture of the cable you made? It's the solder connections that are important, maybe you soldered them in the wrong order - common mistake and happens to me all the time 🤣 🤣 🤣

edit:
btw, caches and processor speed are irrelevant to this mpu card - it's the game drivers that crap out due to speed. I have used the PCMIDI mpus successfully in pentium3 setups , so cpu/system speed is not an issue

Also, the card does not use a Z80 , it uses a Z8 mcu - so if you did order a Z80 don't plug it in...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 4, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I meant Z8. I got one with the same part number, Romless.

I did make my cable go straight from the DB9 to 2 male DIN 5 connectors, and tested continuity with my multimeter. It occurs that they may be inverted, since your original cable went to DIN5 females?

I'll take some pictures when I get home.

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the schematic assumes you are making a breakout cable with female DIN 5 connectors, like the original cable. I am pretty sure that's the fault, inverted cabling. No worries as nothing gets damaged by that .

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished transposing the wires and it WORKS!
You might want to edit your original post to let people who are making straight db9 to Din5 Male cables to swap those around.

I'm so happy, this was the last internal component of my ultimate 486 build!