VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, while working on my "Project 98", I've installed MS-DOS 7.10 on that hardisk and I was hoping to be able to get sound working with the chipset of the motherboard (you know... built-in "modernish" sound cards), since I can't find my PCI sound blaster to use on that PC.
The motherboard is an ASUS A8V-XE and it's the only motherboard I currently have (except the Olivetti M4 454 S' one, which obviously I don't consider here) that can run Windows 98 (although I can't find any working drivers for it, thus I had to switch temporary to XP) and MS-DOS 7.10, but... although any DOS game looks flawless, even Duke Nukem 3D goes at more than 60 FPS for sure with the ATI Sapphire X300 (the graphics card I mounted), there is no sound whatsoever !!!
I tried anything, I tried even to install my CT3670's drivers, generic Sound Blaster drivers, but I can't seem to get it to work, but there must be a way to make it work with the internal chipset soundcard (which is a SoundMAX-something), at least until I can find a PCI sound card 😢

Does anyone have any idea how I can get working sound on MS-DOS 7.10 on that motherboard ? If there is some "secret fancy coding", "mysterious generic sound drivers that make the magic happen" or something like that 🤣

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 30, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has High Definition Audio, which means there's no DOS support whatsoever. And DOS sound support on PCI cards is pretty spotty too from my experience (I could be totally wrong though)... On that board, if you're running Windows 98, your best bet is to use DOSBox or a virtual machine. It seems like way overkill for pure DOS if you ask me, and I don't think DOS can even take advantage of all the speed increases Windows can get from that hardware.

But man, do I wish there was a generic AC'97 and HDA driver for DOS! 😢

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So... there's no "third party" custom made driver made on purpose to get audio working from the built-in sound card ? Aww 😢
The problem is that I can't even use Windows 98 properly because I simply can't find any working driver for it aswell !!! Neither motherboard nor GPU drivers and it only runs at 16 colors without sound and huge resolution, making Windows 9x games that require 256 colors, such as Montezuma's Return (the one I tried), unplayable with errors.
I tried to run the games natively from Windows XP, but they are very laggy, perhaps it "emulates" the DOS prompt and doesn't gain the full DOS potential like, otherwise, Windows 9x does.
I already do play them with DOSBox on my main modern PC, I see no point using DOSBox over there aswell, because the main point of that PC was to play all these games "as they should be played", natively ran and, while I can play most of 2D games just fine on my "modded" Olivetti M4 454 S, games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom lag (they're still playable, but certainly not enjoyable like they are on that ASUS A8V-XE machine) 😢

If only I could find a workaround to "hack in" drivers for Windows 98... 😕

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 30, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This really isn't the right platform for the mid to late 90s DOS games you want to play. For that, ideally, you're going to need a Pentium-Pentium III system, ~75-500 MHz is probably the range of hardware that would work. I have a Pentium-166 laptop with SBPro compatible sound that's coming in the mail; with that hardware you'd notice a world of difference from your 486! 😀 I know what you mean, I have a 486DX2/50 and the lag running DOOM is fairly noticeable. However, what kind of 486 do you have? Depending on your socket you could upgrade to a DX4/100 and it would run noticeably better, though not as well as a Pentium.

Reply 4 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, probably the frame rate might get better if I could get a graphics card for my 486 PC.
Unfortunately, I don't really know much of the technical specs of that Olivetti M4 454 S, I only know it has an Intel 80486 CPU, but I've never taken it off to see what kind of socket it uses 😢
Also, the "base" computer was released in 1993 (by "base", I mean the actual computer without the extras I'm currently adding to it)
And it's indeed because of the lack of a graphics card that I want to play the games that lag there on that other machine with the Asus A8V-XE board, because there they don't lag at all under the MS-DOS 7.10 system... if only I can find a way to get working sound out of it, because smooth games are great, but without sounds they're quite... lame 😒

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 30, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... Are you absolutely sure it's a 486? The Wikipedia article says the m4 came with a Pentium. Some hardware info programs will read a Pentium as a 486. It might be a Socket 5 machine. See if the heat sink will come off so you can see what it is.

Reply 6 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I read it was an 80486 somewhere on the board near the CPU... or probably while using it... since you said that some software might read the Pentium as a 486, I'll double-check what it actually is and report you, but unfortunately I'm currently not in the house where I have it (it's in my father's home), I'll go check it out tomorrow if I can 😁

Most important ones:

Reply 8 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, didn't work.
As I said, I even tried to install my Sound Blaster CT3670 drivers (I have that card in my Olivetti M4 454 S machine), thus it would set blaster = a220 i5 d1 in the autoexec on its own, but, since there's no "actual" sound blaster card in that machine, it didn't even install, I tried to "set blaster = a220 i5 d1" on my own, but it didn't work either.... I guess that, as Keen Master said earlier, MS-DOS 7.10 doesn't recognize the built-in audio chipset of the ASUS A8V-XE motherboard... since that motherboard is "too modern" (I think ?), it only has PCI slots and not a single ISA one, so I can't even put my CT3670 in there to test it... I wish there's a way to make the built-in audio chipset of that motherboard work with MS-DOS 7.10... I don't want to stick with just the Olivetti M4 454 S for DOS "actual operative system", I wanted to make a dual boot MS-DOS/Windows 98 machine along with the Olivetti M4 454 S I revived...

Most important ones:

Reply 9 of 30, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the ati X300 try Catalyst 6.2 or 6.3.

That version works for my X850xt pe.

And if you find 98 drivers for sound card then try duke3d in command prompt inside win98.... most 98 sound drivers have a soundblaster emulation build in.

For Example my Nforce2 chipset audio driver.

Reply 10 of 30, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for help with DOS Games, not for setting up DOS on hardware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

For the ati X300 try Catalyst 6.2 or 6.3.

I've installed the drivers for the X300 without problems on Windows XP, although I couldn't find any compatible ones for Windows 98, are those 2 versions compatible with Windows 98 ?

Sammy wrote:

And if you find 98 drivers for sound card then try duke3d in command prompt inside win98.... most 98 sound drivers have a soundblaster emulation build in.

For Example my Nforce2 chipset audio driver.

That's the problem !!! I can't find any driver compatible with Windows 98 and that motherboard !!! 😢
That motherboard (ASUS A8V-XE)'s audio chipset is a SoundMAX, if you'd like to try to search some compatible drivers for Windows 98, I can't find any 😢

collector wrote:

Note that this forum is for help with DOS Games, not for setting up DOS on hardware.

Since the main issue is that I ain't able to hear any sound in-game, the topic got a bit extended to the hardware, I hope someone can find a workaround 😐

Last edited by Elia1995 on 2016-04-21, 19:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Moved to Marvin.

Thanks, seeing how the topic got extended from the original, simple "sound issue" to hardware-related discussion, that subforum fits much better 😁

Most important ones:

Reply 14 of 30, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if you wanna audio on DOS with pci card you should go with Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (Aureal Vortex 2)
It will work great on windows 98 and it have sound blaster emulation.

Reply 15 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it also come with "actual DOS" drivers aswell other than Win9x ?

Most important ones:

Reply 16 of 30, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

Does it also come with "actual DOS" drivers aswell other than Win9x ?

I think that the card have soundblaster emulation so maybe sb drivers should work, but i'm not sure.

Reply 19 of 30, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ESS Solo-1 is a PCI sound card that works in pure DOS (with drivers). Audio works in DOS games under Win 98 with standard drivers, and instructions for getting audio under pure DOS are here http://www.nadergator.com/proj15.html. You can search ES 1938 or ES 1946 if you want to buy it.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg