VOGONS

First post, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did someone try DOS games on P4 with YMF in real DOS or in Win95 box ? It should be supported though D-DMA.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 1 of 18, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to get it to work with a late era P3, for the life of me the dos drivers would not allow legacy support to function with their driver, 16bit midi was fine sounded very clear.

Edit: I found a Old Vogons topic that describes the problem perfectly PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...

Reply 2 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure what you are asking, but I have a Yamaha 724 card in an AthlonXP machine, and running inside a Windows 98b dos box I get FM music and SB Pro sound effects.

I run it alongside an MX300 and used to get a lot of crashes due to both emulating SB Pro, but disabling one or the other fixes that [though I have a feeling I had to reinstall Windows along the way].

What I could not get to work was sound in DOS. My board has no SB-Link header either.

Reply 3 of 18, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 724 runs fine in DOS on my Tualatin rig. It was a pain in the ass to set up - I had to reserve irq 5 and DMA 1 in BIOS for Legacy ISA even if the card is PCI, but if I don't I can't get DOS SB compatibility. In windows the card runs on IRQ 7 and IRQ 5 for the Legacy device.

Reply 6 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems the only option for P4 MBs with Intel chipsets to work in real DOS is SB-Link, in case the boards had this uncommon connector.
Stays unclear still, how is with DOS box on P4 with i8xx in general. And what is with MBs on other chipsets for P4.

ratfink wrote:

Not sure what you are asking, but I have a Yamaha 724 card in an AthlonXP machine, and running inside a Windows 98b dos box I get FM music and SB Pro sound effects.

What is MB with your AthlonXP?

What I could not get to work was sound in DOS.

If the chipset has D-DMA, then it should work with proper settings (which you need to guess by stars and planets).

kanecvr wrote:

My 724 runs fine in DOS on my Tualatin rig.

What MB is there? With SB-Link, I suppose.

The only thing I can't get working in dos is the XG synth.

Yes. Partly similar to AWE which has good GM support only inside Win9x.
I heard Quarantine had issue with SB-Link on YMF.

Stretch wrote:

FM and SB Pro in Windows, FM in DOS.

As I understand it's about 775i65G R3.0 and YMF744 from the signature. The MB has no SB-Link.
What sound drivers were used - vxd 1040 from Yamaha's site or other?

How many games refused to run correctly by this way?

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 8 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine's an Asus A7M266. FM, SB Pro and XG/MIDI work in a 98 dos box. Nothing at all when I restart in DOS.

The bios lets me reserve IRQs and DMAs, and there is a UMB setting. Also you can allocate IRQs to PCI slots.

It doesn't especially matter to me that I can't get sound from this card in DOS.

Off topic: The MX300 has an SCB7 attached so I can flip between using SB Pro emulation on that, and SB Pro emulation on the YMF card. Quite quick to prove to myself that the FM Synth on the Aureal card is a bit thin sounding compared to the Yamaha, but not completely catastrophic.

Reply 9 of 18, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested Doom 2 with both SFX & OPL3, and both worked. I ran SETUPDS /S, followed by DSDMA for both to work.

Board tested was a Socket 478 running a P4 3.4Ghz CPU, with an i875p Intel chipset made by BCM (BC875PLG). It has an ISA slot, so not concerned about compatibility without SB-link.

Reply 10 of 18, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:
Mine's an Asus A7M266. FM, SB Pro and XG/MIDI work in a 98 dos box. Nothing at all when I restart in DOS. […]
Show full quote

Mine's an Asus A7M266. FM, SB Pro and XG/MIDI work in a 98 dos box. Nothing at all when I restart in DOS.

The bios lets me reserve IRQs and DMAs, and there is a UMB setting. Also you can allocate IRQs to PCI slots.

It doesn't especially matter to me that I can't get sound from this card in DOS.

Off topic: The MX300 has an SCB7 attached so I can flip between using SB Pro emulation on that, and SB Pro emulation on the YMF card. Quite quick to prove to myself that the FM Synth on the Aureal card is a bit thin sounding compared to the Yamaha, but not completely catastrophic.

You need to reserve IRQ 5 and DMA 1 for LEGACY ISA. Do not allocate them to the PCI slots. It's the only way I got it to work w/o sb-link.

Frankly the only chipset I can't seem to get it to run on in DOS is nForce 3 and up. It sometimes acts up on nforce 2 chipset boards as well, but I don't need dos on those.

Reply 11 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Abit ST6 - so no SB-Link since it's an i815.

Interesting. I have data that D-DMA is not supported on i8xx. SB-Link was supported by i8xx chipsets, but MBs could to have no the connector.
So you are using 724F-V in real DOS (6.22 or 7 ?), not "DOS boot from Win9x", not 9x DOS box.
What is DOS driver's version - 3.14 or 3.16 ? Which is IRQ of PCI slot in which the card is intalled - #5 too ? DSDMA was not used befor games?
Will be good if you'll cite your ds.ini (under "code" tag) to understand what mode is used.

j^aws wrote:

Tested Doom 2 with both SFX & OPL3, and both worked. I ran SETUPDS /S, followed by DSDMA for both to work. Board tested was a Socket 478 running a P4 3.4Ghz CPU, with an i875p Intel chipset made by BCM (BC875PLG). It has an ISA slot, so not concerned about compatibility without SB-link.

BC875PLG according to manual I've found has no SB-Link connector. Your card is 724F-V, other YMF chips would be good to test on i875 too sometimes. So another i8xx without SB-link connection which works in real DOS. DOS drivers seems to be 3.16.
Have you tested real-mode SFX+FM games, for example Dune 2, Flashback, ... ?
The cards settings are base220 irq5 dma1 ? You assigned in BIOS "Legacy ISA" for IRQ and DMA of you card ? IRQ of PCI slot is not same as which is assigned to the card ?
Cite, please, in code tags your ds.ini

ratfink wrote:

Nothing at all when I restart in DOS

Similar AMD-760 MPX has D-DMA. Probably yours too and with propper settings YMF will work by D-DMA.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 12 of 18, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:
BC875PLG according to manual I've found has no SB-Link connector. Your card is 724F-V, other YMF chips would be good to test on […]
Show full quote
j^aws wrote:

Tested Doom 2 with both SFX & OPL3, and both worked. I ran SETUPDS /S, followed by DSDMA for both to work. Board tested was a Socket 478 running a P4 3.4Ghz CPU, with an i875p Intel chipset made by BCM (BC875PLG). It has an ISA slot, so not concerned about compatibility without SB-link.

BC875PLG according to manual I've found has no SB-Link connector. Your card is 724F-V, other YMF chips would be good to test on i875 too sometimes. So another i8xx without SB-link connection which works in real DOS. DOS drivers seems to be 3.16.
Have you tested real-mode SFX+FM games, for example Dune 2, Flashback, ... ?
The cards settings are base220 irq5 dma1 ? You assigned in BIOS "Legacy ISA" for IRQ and DMA of you card ? IRQ of PCI slot is not same as which is assigned to the card ?
Cite, please, in code tags your ds.ini

This is the content of DS.INI:

LEGEN=1
SBIO=0
SBIRQ=0
SBDMA=1
MPUIO=0
MPUIRQ=0
JOYIO=0
INTAIRQ=3
IRQMODE=1
DMAMODE=3
FIRSTTRY=0
SLAVEBASE=0
SLAVEADDR=0
LEGMAS=77
VOICE=77
FM=77
MASTER=0
MONO=8000
PCBEEP=8000
PHONE=8008
MIC=8008
LINE=8808
CD=8808
VIDEO=8808
AUX=8808
PCM=808
SBFILE=YMH8.WAV
NAFILE=YMH16.WAV
FMFILE=YMH.MID
PIRQRC=0
LOADTSR=1
IRQSHARE=0

In BIOS, I reserve IRQ 5 and DMA 1 as 'Legacy ISA'. The PCI IRQ assigned to the YMF724 card is different to the Legacy IRQ for Sound Blaster (SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4).

These tests were done in DOS 6.22 using the latest Yamaha DOS drivers. I don't have Win98SE installed to test in DOSBox at the moment, although this P4 board has full Win98 drivers.

From previous testing on 440BX chipset, I know this card isn't very compatible without SB-Link, so I haven't tested many games. I tried Dune II, and as expected, it doesn't run without SB-Link.

Regarding YMF744 & YMF754, I expect them to behave similarly without SB-Link in pure DOS. In Win98SE DOSBox, they should differ in compatibility from the YMF724 with various driver revisions (from previous tests on 440BX).

Reply 13 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j^aws wrote:

I tried Dune II, and as expected, it doesn't run without SB-Link.

Thank you for information.
Without working real mode games using FM+SFX it's hard to say about acceptable pure DOS support. How other protected mode games behave is also unknown. Noticable is that you have "INTAIRQ=3" while BLASTER variable has irq5, so may be used kind of TSR emulation like on SB Live.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 14 of 18, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Yamaha DS-XG cards are best used under win98. You also have the wonderful XG synth available under 98 for various games, even really old ones like Secret of Monkey Island witch works flawlessly under 98 on my K6 rig.

Reply 15 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

The Yamaha DS-XG cards are best used under win98.

Not all games work in Win9x box.
If the percent of games which were able to work on your Tualatin in real DOS is significant, - the ds.ini and other settings used are interesting.

For GM in Win9x box should be better SB Live/Audigy as seems there were banks close to SC, which was used as etalon by developers. Also, on P4 it would not be much worse to use S-YXG, in case you'd prefer DB50XG-like sound somewhere.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 16 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Except Sound Blaster PCI cards (except those based on the ES1370) clock the DAC at 48khz and use badly implemented resampling for all 44.1khz PCM.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 18, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only game I failed to make work is Duke3D - it will only run on the 724 if a SB-LINK interface is used (in DOS or windows). On my socket 7 machine it crashes when attempting to play digital samples.

Reply 18 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

The only game I failed to make work is Duke3D

It's not the only such game. But some of them maybe work in real DOS by D-DMA, DSDMA or something else.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide