VOGONS

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

World, I need your help please!

I recently upgraded one of my 386SX Amstrad Mega PC's (16MB) with a Cyrix cx486srx2+ utililty and unfortunately one of my favorite MS-DOS games stopped working. The game in question is "Fifa International soccer". I've heard this is a somewhat problematic DOS game but I've never had any issues with it until now 😢 .

Basically, the game always played great while the Mega PC was still a 386SX 25Mhz with a SBpro2 sound card and it was all configured no problem. But now all I get is a memory protection fault error when I try to run it:

DSC06483_zpsfbdlyvoa.jpg

DSC06511_zpsj0ce6upk.jpg

DSC06410_zpsvpqkkwls.jpg

DSC06462_zpsqjtwd4bt.jpg

I removed the Cyrix cx486srx2 off the motherboard just to double check and the game worked again, reinstalled it and the issue came right back. I also ran some diagnostic tools on the cx486srx2 and it passes all of the tests, so it seems to be installed properly and working as it should. Things I've tried so far: disabling the cx486srx2 1K cache, removing the Intel 387 coprocessor, to no available 😒

The weird thing is that the game some times will start and play at random, but for the most part all I get is the error. Any ideas of what can be done to solve the problem? I'm all ears and thanks in advance for any replies.

DSC06486_zpsetoqxprp.jpg

DSC06460_zpsf1ztbd64.jpg

Reply 3 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. Ask old hardware and driver questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. 😀

Megadisk wrote:

ny ideas of what can be done to solve the problem? I'm all ears and thanks in advance for any replies.

Okay, then. But it's just an idea, can't guarantee it works..

Try this patch.
It was made to let the game run on low memory, but maye it help you here, as well.

If that doesn't work, try to use a different memory manager, like QEMM.
And in case the game has a dos4gw file, replace it with dos32a.

Link: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/TOOLS:DOS32A

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why doesn't your CPU have a heatsink? My SRx2 25/50 came with one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if some aspect of the CPU is now defective from overheating?

Also, did you try swapping your RAM and cache?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 14, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if some aspect of the CPU is now defective from overheating?

Second that. You could also try to just reduce your total RAM to 8MB.
What tests did you perform on your CPU?

Did you also perform memory tests?
I've Googled your error message and found some pages where similar errors are described (didn't read through all of them).
It's almost like your software is trying to access a portion of your memory it doesn't (or shouldn't) have access to.

Another thing that someone told me after I bought my Cyrix 486DLC, is that there were (in rare circumstances) some software that weren't 100% compatible with the Cyrix CPU's.
How true that is, I don't know, but it's possible your game is trying to read or write something via the CPU that the CPU doesn't "like" and therefore behaves erratically.

Reply 9 of 14, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I doubt this is the case. My amd/cyrix computer gives the exact same error code and it has a heat sink.

Since op says it works periodically, I was thinking it could have to do with the ram segments the game gets. Ie if the computer has been on for a while, the next free block may be somewhere else than usually which makes it work as intended. I have experimented with himem and emm386, but to no avail. Will try the patch mentioned here and report back.

Reply 10 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try removing the FPU?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 14, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game often does not work on non-Intel CPU.

On socket 7 I was able to run it only with a Pentium or Pentium MMX, with a K6-2 it returned the same error as your.

On socket 3 it works with a Intel DX4 and AMD 5x86 either, but evidently the Cyrix is not compatible...

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 14 of 14, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I've had the same error on my K6 build. The executable needs to be patched.

I would assume that this should be possible somehow. Did you patch it yourself, or where did you find information about this?