VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Happy easter! Here I have what appears to be a dead ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus rev 2.02g which is probably dead. It appears to power on (green led, cpu fan starts running, no beeps) as soon as I switch on the PSU, and when I connect a PCI diagnostic card it reads no POST codes at all, however it indicates all the voltages as available and the RST signal as stuck (reset led on the card is always on). The motherboard appears clean, with no broken traces, leaked/bad/blown caps or toasted-brownish chips. Pins are straight, nothing appears to be shorted... Clear CMOS/RTC doesn't help either. What might have been the cause of something like this? Is it something repairable or am I just tossing the thing altogether and keeping parts? Just asking because I have never seen a similar issue to this one before!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 9, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you disconnect the Reset-Connector (Cable) from the Mainboard, and try again?

Reply 2 of 9, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately it does the same thing with no front panel connectors attached at all, seems to power on all by itself when switching on the PSU, without even shorting the power switch pins. Shorting the pwr-sw/reset-sw pins afterwards does nothing as well. I was testing the mainboard alone, without anything on it except for the CPU, RAM and the power connectors.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 3 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It probably will be a stupid question that i will do but i will ask anyway
The clear rtc(or cmos) jumper is set properly?

Reply 4 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What voltage is on the POWERGOOD from the power supply?

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, try another power supply.

Another thing is, check CMOS battery. Disconnect it for some time, and make sure it is not empty and even try booting without battery.

Reply 6 of 9, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your responses. I have already tried both using different power supplies and replacing the CR2032/discarding it completely, but none of these attempts made any difference, and yes, the jumpers are all properly set. I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow and report back.

Stojke wrote:

Reply 7 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:

Thank you for your responses. I have already tried both using different power supplies and replacing the CR2032/discarding it completely, but none of these attempts made any difference, and yes, the jumpers are all properly set. I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow and report back.

I had a M2N that had this behavior and i solved by replacing some voltage regulators, so give them a check.

Reply 8 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

also try a replacement bios chip

Reply 9 of 9, by keeper5511

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello my friend! Have u resolve the issue with the reset signal????