Best hybrid DOS/Windows hardware?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
I think it's more like 'your mileage may vary' thing, as well as difference between games. My 2.4 GHz i5 is fast enough for Scre […]
Show full quote
Tertz wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I guess you need something like Pentium 4 to run unaccelerated Quake in 1024x768

800x600 on P3 600 MHz gives >30 fps

I think it's more like 'your mileage may vary' thing, as well as difference between games. My 2.4 GHz i5 is fast enough for Screamers and Test Drive Off-Road in DOSBOX --both running in 640x480. In Azrael's Tear, the choppiness becomes noticeable, although not enough to hamper gameplay. F-22 Lightning II is so choppy that it's downright unplayable.

And of course, there are people who just want to put rocket engine in their skateboard.

nforce4max wrote:

Do you know any more details about that 9x core 2 rig?

All I remember is Malik telling me his system has PCIe version of GeForce 6800 running on Core 2 Duo platform; I don't even remember whether the GeForce is 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra. You may want to ask him though.

Azrael's Tear has a graphics bug/problem in the game itself. You will notice when you first start the game it might be pretty fluid, but as soon as you move into a new area that needs to be loaded the FPS drops from there on. There are two workarounds I have found. Either hit the number 4 on your keyboard which is the dynamic detail setting which basically sets the graphics at hi-res when you are standing still and low-res when moving or press 2 (med-res) or 3 (lo-res) and then 1 (hi-res) and the FPS will go back to normal. I choose the latter method as I like to see the game in its best resolution at all times. Unfortunately you have to do this every time the game loads a new area of the map. Annoying and there is no patch for this. The game did this to me way back when it was released as well.