VOGONS

First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys;

So i just formatted my system with windows 98, and totally forgot to remove one of the 512mb sticks. When i finished installing I installed chipset drivers, VGA, Soundcard, USB 2.0 drivers and installed Condition Zero. And everything seems to be working fine.

I always thought Windows 98 doesn't work with 1GB of RAM unless using unofficial patches,
has anyone experienced this

Reply 1 of 7, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had this happen to me numerous times as well, on systems such as:

Asus P4B533-VM + P4 2.4GHz + 1GB SDRAM
Intel 855PM + Pentium M 1.4GHz - 1.7GHz + 1GB PC2700 RAM

I haven't tried more than that on the Pentium M systems, would like to though. I've heard of people getting away with 1.5GB, but 2GB is usually the hard limit for everything.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The official MSKB suggests that it might work until you try to open up an MS-DOS Prompt.

There are a lot of stories floating around about the whole business. I suppose the particular configuration of Windows might influence the outcome one way or another; as noted in the article, having an AGP card might make things worse. I'm pretty sure it will definitely fail to start in Safe Mode. In my experience it tends to get unstable even at the 512 MB limit.

Reply 4 of 7, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wel, this weekend I did the same and it worked. Pentium III-1400 with 1 Gig of ram. But than I wanted to start 3D-Mark 2001 from MadOnion for a benchmark test, and nothing happened. Also PQMagic gave some errors while starting. And it felt a little slow. After removing the 512 Mb Ram everything worked fine and felt much faster.

Reply 5 of 7, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have Win98 SE with 640 MB ram, and everything works fine.

Sometime is hangs a little when shutting down.

But at normal use there are no errors.

I have no tweaks installed.

Should i reduce the cache in the ini-File to be sure?

Or is it enough to create a 128 MB Ramdisk in Config.sys before Windows starts?
Maybe i can use that ramdisk as a TMP folder?

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sammy wrote:

Or is it enough to create a 128 MB Ramdisk in Config.sys before Windows starts?
Maybe i can use that ramdisk as a TMP folder?

Yes, that is one option. (I read once about someone who had found a way to store the Windows 98 page file on a RAM drive, but I've never been able to find that reference again and presumably it is a bad idea.)

I just use HIMEMX to set a maximum RAM limit.