VOGONS

First post, by Krookz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys/gals, I keep running across you're board when searching for Gotek emulator answers. And hopefully this post is in the correct spot.

I picked up a Gotek emulator off fleabay in hopes of doing away with a floppy drive on an old Hunter Alignment machine. It boots in some ancient flavor of linux and the disk is a slew of errors, no boot sector, ect to keep it from being duplicated back then. I have a SCP and have images of the disk that I can duplicate and boot.

From the looks of what I got my Gotek does not have "index" mode... where it boots files just dumped in a folder on a usb stick. Seems im limited to the partitions which is fine... except every image I make ends up as 1.6mb. I have tried with SCP, HxC, and some hex tool that came with the Gotek. Im not exactly sure how to get that into a 1.4mb partition. Any ideas?

Capture.JPG
Filename
Capture.JPG
File size
21.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that's some kind of question you don't see every day! I'm no owner of a Gotek emulator myself, but I have an idea.
You can try to open those images (*.img or *.ima) with WinImage and then change the floppy format.
But becareful, this can render the image useless in some cases. So better make several backup copies.

Oh, and welcome to Vogons! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you bought an HxC license and isntalled the firmware?

Without doing that, you're going to be limited to using the Gotek application to add disk images, and you will only have 1.44mb support.

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cant give you an answer but can give you another angle if you still have the original disks.
If you put the FDD and gotek in the same PC you could always diskcopy A: to B:
I'm just not sure of any 1:1 disk imaging programs

(assuming the original drive/disks are standard 1.44mb)

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that's indeed a good idea! This should work well with DOS style floppies. And if the disks are in another format, there's still hope.
I know of an old copy utility, QCopy, which had the ability to reformat the floppy format on-the-fly.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by Krookz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... I did read the gotek had internal storage. I will try that and with the partitioned thumb drive. Im fairly certain the SCP will write my images to it. Thanks for the advice I will reply back with what I find

As for opening the image... I havnt found anything that can do so. I get a lot of "Null Sized DOS Image" and error's opening. I can write the images back onto fresh disk's and they work fine

Reply 6 of 6, by Krookz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp no luck. I was able to write the image through the gotek but it wouldn't boot. Read some more and I definitely need the gotek that supports image mode for non-dos disks. Thanks for the ideas!

The magic designation for the gotek emulators having the image mode is "-DL". So for example SFR1M44-FU-DL. For anyone else looking...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    26.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception