VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got around to installing Windows 98 on my DOS 6.22 box and had forgotten that it comes with its own version of DOS. For some reason I was thinking it was still like Windows 3.1 where it just sat on top of your current DOS. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to access DOS 6.22 with Windows 98 on there. My questions are:

1. Will the Windows 98 version of DOS work just as well as DOS 6.22 for games?
2. If the answer to question 1 is no, is it possible to dual boot Windows 98 and DOS? If so, how?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Yes, it should, provided you boot into MS-DOS mode and not try to run your DOS apps or games via the command prompt (from within Windows). Many DOS games requires "real mode" access.
You can refer to this guide on how to set it up: How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME
2. Yes, you can.
Back in the day, I used to follow this route until I discovered option 1.
Can't recall whether this works with Windows 98, but if you installed Windows 95 on an existing DOS 6.22 partition, it would keep you DOS files and when you started up, you could press F4 (while saying "Starting Windows 95") and it would then boot into your previous installation of MS-DOS.
The other option that I used was to set up two partitions and use a boot manager to "switch" between the two - I used OS/2 3.0's boot manager, because I happen to have a copy of it and it worked for me (there are other boot managers available).

I would try option 1 first - less hassle and you'll probably find that all your DOS 6.22 apps will run just as well under DOS 7.1.

Last edited by jesolo on 2016-05-15, 22:20. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The answer to question 1 is yes. Mostly you can run whatever games you want inside Windows 98, and if you have to go into MS-DOS mode the only effective difference between Windows 98 DOS (which reports itself as version 7.1) and 6.22 is that 7.1 supports FAT32 and thus drives greater than 2GB. I use 7.1 for all of my DOS stuff and it works perfectly.

As for dual booting the ideal way to do it is to set the BOOTGUI flag in MSDOS.SYS to 0, then use a boot menu in config.sys and cooresponding entries in autoexec.bat to effectively dual boot.

Edit: sorry, jesolo beat me to it 😀

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2016-05-15, 23:30. Edited 1 time in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If DOS 7 works just fine for games I'm good with that. I'll just set the system to bring up that boot menu and set the default option to DOS prompt (I assume this will make it boot into DOS 7.1 with Real Mode, I'll have to check on that).

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 6 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tempest wrote:

If DOS 7 works just fine for games I'm good with that. I'll just set the system to bring up that boot menu and set the default option to DOS prompt (I assume this will make it boot into DOS 7.1 with Real Mode, I'll have to check on that).

Yes, it will. You can specify the default choice with the "menudefault" parameter in the Config.sys file.