VOGONS

I think I hit the motherload today!

Topic actions

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I know there is a separate thread for stuff you bought or stuff you found. But I thought this story was kinda cool and thought it deserved it's own thread. Today I inquired into a somewhat ambigious craigslist ad. It was something to the effect. "Lots of computers and accessories ...20 dollar each..the more the buy the bigger the deal you get". It only had one photo of a couple of towers, printers, a few CRT monitors and some boxes of floppys and other random stuff. One of the towers looked particularly old so I called him.

Turns out this ad was from an older retired couple who was moving to florida. They had saved every computer, computer accessory, manual, piece of software, etc that they had ever bought! Every shoe box I opened revealed some new interesting treasure that I never expected.

There were 6 towers. A Pentium 4 Whitebox, and IBM pentium 3, a Compaq Sempron, a Compaq Athlon XP. and a Dell Dimension Intel Core 2 Duo were the 5 more modern machines. But the most interesting was that old tower. from what I can tell it started life as a 386 and was upgraded to a 486, and then to it's current incarnation to a Socket 7 system and he had all the parts from the times it was upgraded! the old 386 motherboard was there as was the multi I/O card and all the other cards he'd had including some ISA video cards. A couple processors he had upgraded in the 386 before swapping the motherboard. He had all the manuals to every single component as far as I can tell.

Other finds both interesting and uninteresting include......

A Stack of completely never used 5 1/2 floppys
A CH Virtual Pilot Pro with CH Pedals
In box copies for Commander Keen, Mortal Kombat, Bedlam(UNOPENED), NHL Hockey (Unopened), and other games.
Tons of software on 5 1/2 and 3 1/4 floppy I haven't even been able to go through.
Multiple versions of Dos and Windows on Floppys
Every version of Windows on CD From Windows 95 to Windows 7.
A number of speakers and joysticks and gamepads.
3 scanners and 5 printers

He told me over the phone before I went over that someone had offered him 100 bucks for the whole lot but had never showed up. My original intention was to lowball him once I got there but once I got so wrapped up in their story that I didn't have the heart to. It may not have been the most impressive haul ever but I just thought it was interesting that this was basically this guys entire computer history.

Attachments

• 20160522_013432.jpg
    Filename
    20160522_013432.jpg
    File size
    4.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I popped open the older full AT tower and it looks like I misstated. It is currently a socket3 system not a socket7. So based on the spare parts I found it started life as a AM386DX/DXL-40. It was then upgraded to an Intel 486DX2-66 with a socket 3 motherboard which has both PCI and VLB slots! (SCORE). Then the CPU was upgraded to an AM486 DX4-100 and then upgraded again to a Cyrix 5x86-100. I am a little sad that the pins on the AM486 are all bent up since it was sitting loose in a shoebox with a bunch of other stuff. I am a little confused because there was a Socket 7 motherboard manual in his stack of manuals but no board so far as I can tel.

Looks like I am going to need another AT style case so I can rebuild the Am386. I am not sure I am hugely into 386 era stuff so I might sell it.

Reply 6 of 27, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice old AT tower!!!

I like these tower's with a wider basement for a good stability.

Tower's like this are really hard to find on ebay these days...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 7 of 27, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome haul, I like that full tower, very nice!

Good price too, that should keep you away from those rip off merchants on ebay. I've never seen a Commander Keen box before, loving the artwork.

Last edited by rgart on 2016-05-22, 19:07. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 8 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😲 😲
Wow. How much did you actually end up paying for the lot?
All that AND boxed Galaxy set, Mortal Kombat WITH Gravis Gamepad inside... And a Socket 3 system, Cyrix 5x86 ... Plus all the rest ... you really did hit the motherlode. Congratulations!
What do you suppose the whole lot is worth, selling individually?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 27, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Giant haul. Max kudos. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 27, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is that Dell Dimension tower an E520? If so then you can upgrade the crap outta that thing. They start with Pentium 4s or Core2Duos but they can be upgraded to Core2Quads, and the board itself will take up to 8 gigs of ram. The only thing that kind of sucks is that they are on Sata 1 still, but thats not too big a deal IMO for a machine that age.

Reply 11 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is so cool! So did you match the $100 from the guy who didn't show? I'd pay that in a heartbeat for that haul. Such a great story to go along with it too. Congrats!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

That is so cool! So did you match the $100 from the guy who didn't show? I'd pay that in a heartbeat for that haul. Such a great story to go along with it too. Congrats!

I did. I thought about trying to talk him down further but it was more then fair plus I didnt have the heart to after hearing their story.

Reply 13 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
:exclamation: :exclamation: Wow. How much did you actually end up paying for the lot? All that AND boxed Galaxy set, Mortal Ko […]
Show full quote

😲 😲
Wow. How much did you actually end up paying for the lot?
All that AND boxed Galaxy set, Mortal Kombat WITH Gravis Gamepad inside... And a Socket 3 system, Cyrix 5x86 ... Plus all the rest ... you really did hit the motherlode. Congratulations!
What do you suppose the whole lot is worth, selling individually?

Paid 100 USD. No idea what it's all worth all said and done. Depends on the value of a couple of the items I am not sure about and what someone is willing to pay for some of the unopened software.

Reply 14 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fyy wrote:

Is that Dell Dimension tower an E520? If so then you can upgrade the crap outta that thing. They start with Pentium 4s or Core2Duos but they can be upgraded to Core2Quads, and the board itself will take up to 8 gigs of ram. The only thing that kind of sucks is that they are on Sata 1 still, but thats not too big a deal IMO for a machine that age.

I think thats exactly what it is although I am not in front of it.

Reply 16 of 27, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fyy wrote:

If it has a pcie x1 slot you can always add USB 3.0/ Sata3 with an add in card. Just would have to make sure it is bootable 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

One of the software boxes is something like "20 Years of Treasures" its like 300 games on floppy including the Zork games and tons of other classics.

The box I see in the photo looks like Lost Treasures of Infocom. I have the floppy version of this. Basically all of the Infocom classics. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 19 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

One of the software boxes is something like "20 Years of Treasures" its like 300 games on floppy including the Zork games and tons of other classics.

The box I see in the photo looks like Lost Treasures of Infocom. I have the floppy version of this. Basically all of the Infocom classics. 😀

You are correct sir.