I think I hit the motherload today!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

So I popped open the older full AT tower and it looks like I misstated. It is currently a socket3 system not a socket7. So based on the spare parts I found it started life as a AM386DX/DXL-40. It was then upgraded to an Intel 486DX2-66 with a socket 3 motherboard which has both PCI and VLB slots! (SCORE). Then the CPU was upgraded to an AM486 DX4-100 and then upgraded again to a Cyrix 5x86-100. I am a little sad that the pins on the AM486 are all bent up since it was sitting loose in a shoebox with a bunch of other stuff. I am a little confused because there was a Socket 7 motherboard manual in his stack of manuals but no board so far as I can tel.

Looks like I am going to need another AT style case so I can rebuild the Am386. I am not sure I am hugely into 386 era stuff so I might sell it.

Why not put the old board 386 board back in the big tower.. Its just really nice if you got this system back as original.. And put the 486 board in an other case. I really like computers which have some history story..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 21 of 27, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I find it fascinating when you can see blatant upgrades. An example being a board I have where half of the cache chips are different, giving me the impression that the system originally had half as much and it was later upgraded.

Seems like a really got lot there, I like the full ATX case, it looks awesome.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 22 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Yeah, I find it fascinating when you can see blatant upgrades. An example being a board I have where half of the cache chips are different, giving me the impression that the system originally had half as much and it was later upgraded.

Seems like a really got lot there, I like the full ATX case, it looks awesome.

Yeah I saw that board your speaking of on one of your videos. Very interesting stuff!

Reply 23 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Why not put the old board 386 board back in the big tower.. Its just really nice if you got this system back as original.. And put the 486 board in an other case. I really like computers which have some history story..

So I don't think I've set anything in stone yet, but generally speaking I have a big interest in 486 era software and will probably end up playing with the 486 hardware quite a bit. The 386 Era hardware on the other hand I am interested in the hardware and playing with it a little bit but once the system is complete there is not a lot of 386 era software that I really have very much interest in.

Reply 27 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the motherboard currently in the Full AT Tower appears to be one of the 486VIP boards which I've heard about but never seen myself. The Motherboard manual was in the lot as well!!!

Attachments

• 20160523_172646.jpg
    Filename
    20160523_172646.jpg
    File size
    3.32 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160523_172431.jpg
    Filename
    20160523_172431.jpg