VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I found this old card, which I think is an ISA card, but I have no idea what it is actually for.
On a first thought I thought it's a sound card, you know, two jacks and maybe a gameport, but that isn't true, it isn't a gameport at all, in fact none of my gameport joysticks seem to fit in it and it actually looks more like a serial port on a second thought.

It's also very long and I can't fit it in my 486DX2 Olivetti M4 434 S to test it... in fact I cannot fit it in any chassis I have found in my home so far...

I'd like to know what kind of card it is, what model it is, what it's for and what are its compatibilities... I'm interested in vintage hardware, you know 😁

Front side of the card:
b09f5b7caf664fce878c5c72c6a1c7f5.png

Backplate:
78f32ce961d6442ead39f370972e5e07.png

The ports (and part of my left hand):
413936d044b642a79a98d5bfebe20500.png

Last edited by Elia1995 on 2016-05-27, 07:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are a lucy owner of a CGA video card 😀

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 8, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But I can't fit in any video cable in it, are there some CGA to VGA adapters ?

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 8, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Such devices do exist and don't cost as much as you'd think (they used to be silly); http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Arcede-Game-Con … E-/281772590673

Though I am unsure how well they work.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 4 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it needs a 8bit isa slot, all XT class computers and almost all 286 and 386 class computers have it, and even some 486 motherboards, but this card is only useful for XT and maybe 286 class computers, and no VGA, but you can connect a NTSC aware SCART RGB, or composite TV or monitor to it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 8, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have a 386 computer in my other home (from where I'm salvaging all this beautiful vintage hardware for my experiments), I'll check if it has a compatible ISA slot, the Olivetti M4 434 S here doesn't, it has only ISA slots, but none of them fits this card (also I can't fit it in physically due to its lenght).

This Olivetti has a 14-pin VGA out, which is harassing me, I wish I could provide it a graphics card 😒

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 8, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The overhang is weird. If the card fits in a 16-Bit slot it will work, but the designers didn't seem to be aware of that (maybe 16-Bit slots weren't around yet, they wouldn't have been common when it was designed) or didn't see it necessary, so the card overhangs behind the slot where it would usually be an open space.

Still, it's worth knowing for future reference - 8-Bit cards work in 16-Bit slots just fine. Sometimes, you can even use 16-Bit cards in an 8-Bit slot, but the latter is just a whole world of confusion and it's probably best not to think about that unless you ever absolutely have to.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 8, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

The overhang is weird. If the card fits in a 16-Bit slot it will work, but the designers didn't seem to be aware of that (maybe 16-Bit slots weren't around yet, they wouldn't have been common when it was designed) or didn't see it necessary, so the card overhangs behind the slot where it would usually be an open space.

Seen overhang even bigger. Usually used with XT machines, where noone counted with 16bit slots. For example IBM CGA card...

734_color_graphics_motorola_mc6845p_top_hq.jpg

HighTreason wrote:

Still, it's worth knowing for future reference - 8-Bit cards work in 16-Bit slots just fine. Sometimes, you can even use 16-Bit cards in an 8-Bit slot, but the latter is just a whole world of confusion and it's probably best not to think about that unless you ever absolutely have to.

Most of them work, but some not. Few cards didnt booted on mine testing Athlon XP 2200+, but worked with 486 board....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 8 of 8, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there some adapters so I can fit it in one of my boards to test it ?
Or which board could I buy to try that graphics card out ?

Most important ones: