VOGONS

Biostar MB-8433UUD problem with PCI graphics card

Topic actions

First post, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have a problem with my Biostar MB-8433UUD-A version number 2, the problem is - all my PCI graphic cards work randomly, more often they simply do not work and give me black screen.

I have confirmed that all my cards work in another retro machine [Pentium 100 based].

Tried with 2 different CPUs: 486 DX4 120 and AMD 586 P75. [with correct jumpers setting - i think]

Tried with many different RAM configurations.

Tried to change the CPU clock with JP15, JP16 jumpers

Voltage is set to 3.45V

I tried PCI diagnostic card, it returned "0d" - after googling it: "Program some of chipset's value; Measure the CPU for display, initialize the video"

I'm running out of ideas - maybe someone more experienced will help? Is the mainboard dead? Hard to believe because sometimes it works normaly 😒

How can i hard reset CMOS on this board? The pins are not soldered to the board 😒

cmos1.jpg
Filename
cmos1.jpg
File size
107.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please post a full pic of your board (showing the way you jumpered it along with which CPU).
If PCi is the problem, then maybe you setup your PCI incorrectly? Maybe you're inadvertently overclocking or underclocking your PCI bus in such a way it makes your PCI cards problematic.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dirkmirk wrote:

What are the chipsets of the cards you are trying? most cards of the era should work.

I use pretty standard solutions: S3 trio 64V+ and S3 Trio Virge. I have in my arsenal PCI version of geforce2, and i accept that this card may not work - it does in my P100 config.

Attachments

• virge.jpg
    Filename
    virge.jpg
    File size
    118.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s3trio1.jpg
    Filename
    s3trio1.jpg
    File size
    113.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Please post a full pic of your board (showing the way you jumpered it along with which CPU).
If PCi is the problem, then maybe you setup your PCI incorrectly? Maybe you're inadvertently overclocking or underclocking your PCI bus in such a way it makes your PCI cards problematic.

Pics attached. Looks correct, not much to do with jumpers on this board.

Yesterday cache chips were replaced - same result.

Maybe the PCI is configured incorrectly - than again - how to clear this setup with black screen - the answer is: 'clear cmos jumper' - just how to do this without pins on the motherboard - should I solder them on?

Attachments

• volt1.jpg
    Filename
    volt1.jpg
    File size
    97.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mhz1.jpg
    Filename
    mhz1.jpg
    File size
    105.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dallas1.jpg
    Filename
    dallas1.jpg
    File size
    134.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cpu1.jpg
    Filename
    cpu1.jpg
    File size
    122.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cache1.jpg
    Filename
    cache1.jpg
    File size
    122.04 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 67, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How can i hard reset CMOS on this board?

In BIOS try "Load Power On defaults" and "Load Setup defaults".

To troubleshoot select slowest BIOS settings and disable all the things not essential. Use ony 1 memory stick and VGA card. Also try ISA VGA card if you have one at hand. Try different PCI slots. Disable FDD/HDD... and so on. Start with disabling everything.

Double check all the jumpers, especially the one for PCI bus divide.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 67, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a better and bigger picture of Your mobo
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3355/dscf0057ej.jpg

Here's the configuration information
http://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/A-B/33492.htm

JP15 and JP16 should both be on. I think You currently have it set for a 40mhz fsb which might be the problem.
JP17 does not exist on Your mobo, so ignore that.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:
In BIOS try "Load Power On defaults" and "Load Setup defaults". […]
Show full quote

How can i hard reset CMOS on this board?

In BIOS try "Load Power On defaults" and "Load Setup defaults".

To troubleshoot select slowest BIOS settings and disable all the things not essential. Use ony 1 memory stick and VGA card. Also try ISA VGA card if you have one at hand. Try different PCI slots. Disable FDD/HDD... and so on. Start with disabling everything.

Double check all the jumpers, especially the one for PCI bus divide.

Something wrong must have happened because I cant get picture everytime I try now, so setting options in BIOS is not possible. PCI diagnostic card is giving me "00". That doesn't look good 😒

After unplugging all [cpu, ram, vga] the error is still "00".

Is there an option to reset BIOS on this mobo with jumpers?

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    Filename
    00.jpg
    File size
    106.16 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 67, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a standard 486DX? Like with 33 MHz?

Use that to start your trouble shooting.

This board has a LOT of jumpers that you need to get right. So triple check everything 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote:
Here's a better and bigger picture of Your mobo http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3355/dscf0057ej.jpg […]
Show full quote

Here's a better and bigger picture of Your mobo
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3355/dscf0057ej.jpg

Here's the configuration information
http://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/A-B/33492.htm

JP15 and JP16 should both be on. I think You currently have it set for a 40mhz fsb which might be the problem.
JP17 does not exist on Your mobo, so ignore that.

I practicaly copied that jumper settings from Your link (minus the cache ones), nothing changed. Added jumper, so now there are jumpers on both JP15 and JP16, nothing changed.

Fortunately i took pictures from bios before problems started:

Attachments

• bios5.jpg
    Filename
    bios5.jpg
    File size
    152.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios4.jpg
    Filename
    bios4.jpg
    File size
    155.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios3.jpg
    Filename
    bios3.jpg
    File size
    139.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios2.jpg
    Filename
    bios2.jpg
    File size
    144.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios1.jpg
    Filename
    bios1.jpg
    File size
    130.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
opiate wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

What are the chipsets of the cards you are trying? most cards of the era should work.

I use pretty standard solutions: S3 trio 64V+ and S3 Trio Virge. I have in my arsenal PCI version of geforce2, and i accept that this card may not work - it does in my P100 config.

The bottom pic (the one with the cache chips visible), according to the link with the manual, JP5, HP6 and JP7 need to be 1-2, 1-2 and 1-2. Yours seems to be set to 1-2, open and 1-2.

How are things going atm?

And could you still post a pic of your entire motherboard?

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Do you have a standard 486DX? Like with 33 MHz?

Use that to start your trouble shooting.

This board has a LOT of jumpers that you need to get right. So triple check everything 😀

And this is some really good advice here and to me kinda a staple when troubleshooting 486 boards.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 67, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HOST CLK:PCI CLK 1 : 2/3

That would currently set the PCI speed to 22mhz!! If The FSB is 33mhz that needs to be 1:1

You can reset the cmos by shorting out the 2 solder points with a paper clip or anything like that, just do it while
the power is off.
Your mobo has a Dallas RTC/Battery all-in-one, which is why You don't have a cr2032 battery soldered there.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:
HOST CLK:PCI CLK 1 : 2/3 […]
Show full quote

That would currently set the PCI speed to 22mhz!! If The FSB is 33mhz that needs to be 1:1

You can reset the cmos by shorting out the 2 solder points with a paper clip or anything like that, just do it while
the power is off.
Your mobo has a Dallas RTC/Battery all-in-one, which is why You don't have a cr2032 battery soldered there.

It's not set to 33MHz, according to the pics of JP15 and JP16. Could be set to 40MHz and this would explain the divider visible in the BIOS. I couldn't find JP17, so no idea how this is set.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-06-06, 01:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 67, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

It's not set to 33MHz, according to the pics of JP15 and JP16. Could be set to 40MHz and this would explain the divider visible in the BIOS. I couldn't find JP17, so no idea how this is set.

If You read slightly above in the thread, He has sorted that out. The page I linked to with config information says JP17 is probably not installed, so can be ignored.

Reply 14 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

If You read slightly above in the thread, He has sorted that out. The page I linked to with config information says JP17 is probably not installed, so can be ignored.

This was after he had taken the pics of both his jumpers and BIOS screens though and as he didn't change his cache jumpers, these are probably still set incorrectly.

edit: Nvm, just noticed JP6 is a block of 2x2 pins and (if the right pair of pins are 1 and 2) is actually set correctly (I thought the right pair was JP7, but I misread). My apologies 😊

And I actually edited the wrong post, should've edited this one and not my previous one, time for bed 😁

edit2: But anyway, dunno what the issue with his motherboard could be, except perhaps he could try a 5v DX-33 part for testing or maybe try another motherboard.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote:
Show full quote

the power is off.

I tried everything, every posible jumper setting, even tried ISA graphics card that is working in another retro-build - no change, still no picture.

So the only thing left is to reset cmos - the question is: what should i short:

- JP42 like the manual is suggesting? Note that in manual it is said that pins 2 and 3 are closed, and they are clearly not. Pins arent even soldered to the board.
or
- two soldering dots in that place where battery should be?

Ehhh, It pains me to see good motherboard like this dead 😐

Attachments

• clear_cmos.jpg
    Filename
    clear_cmos.jpg
    File size
    105.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
opiate wrote:
I tried everything, every posible jumper setting, even tried ISA graphics card that is working in another retro-build - no chang […]
Show full quote
Imperious wrote:
Show full quote

the power is off.

I tried everything, every posible jumper setting, even tried ISA graphics card that is working in another retro-build - no change, still no picture.

So the only thing left is to reset cmos - the question is: what should i short:

- JP42 like the manual is suggesting? Note that in manual it is said that pins 2 and 3 are closed, and they are clearly not. Pins arent even soldered to the board.
or
- two soldering dots in that place where battery should be?

Ehhh, It pains me to see good motherboard like this dead 😐

ASUS A7V133 I worked on also had this 'feature'. I just used a flatbed screwdriver to short these solder dots.
Dunno for sure if it'll work on your board, but that's what I did and it seemed to work?

These A7V133s didn't have the Dallas chip though, so dunno how this will affect this.

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's time to write down the time of death. 🙁

Clearing CMOS [shorted jp42 and the battery pins] did nothing. The battery pins are actually connected with JP42 BTW.

At the end nothing helped but big thnx for all your help guys!

Time to hunt down another socket 3 board with PS2 - now that is a challenge 😀

Reply 18 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Opiate: You are attempting to short the wrong two solder pads for clearing the CMOS. The implementation of JP42 was for one possible design of this board which incorporated the CR2032 battery and a different clock module. All the MB-8433UUD boards I have seen, which include the first version all the way to the last version (v3.1) have a Dallas/ODIN Real-Time Clock module, which has an integrated battery. You should be setting the JP12 jumper to 3-4 to clear the CMOS. Then open the jumper to return to normal operation. Jumper headers 1/2 should be solder pads only. The caveat to this is that some RTC modules do not have the ability to clear the CMOS settings. Such modules are those which do NOT contain an A suffix, e.g. DS12887+ or DS12887, or DS1287. I am pretty sure that most of these boards were outfitted with an A-type RTC, usually an ODIN OEC12C887A, which allows for clearing the CMOS data preferences.

I have seen this board get hung-up on some PCI cards, whereby only a clearing of the CMOS was able to resolve. For those boards without the A-type RTC, you might need to desolder your RTC and replace it, or wait a few more years for the battery to no longer hold charge.

You mentioned earlier about a GeForce2. This board will work with a GeForce2 MX400 if you are using an Am5x86 or Pentium Overdrive. I could not find any functioning drivers for such card if you are using a Cyrix/IBM 5x86. If you decide you want to try a GF2, use NVIDIA Detonator drivers v12.41 w/Am5x86. If using a POD, newer drives up to 77.72 will work.

You mentioned that JP17 is missing the header. I've seen this happen on the older version 2.0 boards. Newer version 2.0 boards have the jumper header in place. I'm not sure why they didn't change the PCB revision. The newer version 2.0 boards are a lot similar to the early 3.0 boards. Having JP17 soldered closed means that you cannot use FSBs of 20, 50, 60, and 83 MHz, but 25, 33, 40, and 66 MHz are available to you.

Concerning your intermittent PCI video issue (I realise it is no longer intermittent, it doesn't work at all), I wonder if your crystal is failing. It would be helpful to probe the PCI clock with an oscilloscope. I suppose your PLL could also be failing, which on this board is socketed and easy to replace. I have had issues on my version 1 board, which did not allow me to run the PCI bus at 1:1 (CMOS setting), even with a 33 MHz BUS. From that experience, I just avoid version 1 boards. Version 1 boards don't have any version numbers printed on them.

Also, this board works best with FPM memory. And if you are trying to use a CF card with the onboard IDE, I find that you need to set IDE Primary Master PIO to PIO-4, not AUTO.

I have looked over your BIOS settings. I will point out some of the differences from what I usually set.

PCI IDE IRQ Map To : PCI-AUTO
IDE Primary Master PIO - AUTO, if using CF card, set to PIO-4.
DRAM Read/Write = 0WS if using 40 MHz FSB or less. (Note my RAM is 60 ns or better)
L2 cache wait states = 2-1-1-1 if using 40 MHz or less and 256 KB of double-banked cache. (Note my cache is 15 ns or better)
Early Cache Write Mode = Enabled
Burst Copy Option = Enabled

What BIOS revision are you using? You might want to consider updating it. Updating the BIOS will also reset the ESCD, which may help with some PCI/ISA configuration problems.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 19 of 67, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:
Opiate: You are attempting to short the wrong two solder pads for clearing the CMOS. The implementation of JP42 was for one poss […]
Show full quote

Opiate: You are attempting to short the wrong two solder pads for clearing the CMOS. The implementation of JP42 was for one possible design of this board which incorporated the CR2032 battery and a different clock module. All the MB-8433UUD boards I have seen, which include the first version all the way to the last version (v3.1) have a Dallas/ODIN Real-Time Clock module, which has an integrated battery. You should be setting the JP12 jumper to 3-4 to clear the CMOS. Then open the jumper to return to normal operation. Jumper headers 1/2 should be solder pads only. The caveat to this is that some RTC modules do not have the ability to clear the CMOS settings. Such modules are those which do NOT contain an A suffix, e.g. DS12887+ or DS12887, or DS1287. I am pretty sure that most of these boards were outfitted with an A-type RTC, usually an ODIN OEC12C887A, which allows for clearing the CMOS data preferences.

I have seen this board get hung-up on some PCI cards, whereby only a clearing of the CMOS was able to resolve. For those boards without the A-type RTC, you might need to desolder your RTC and replace it, or wait a few more years for the battery to no longer hold charge.

You mentioned earlier about a GeForce2. This board will work with a GeForce2 MX400 if you are using an Am5x86 or Pentium Overdrive. I could not find any functioning drivers for such card if you are using a Cyrix/IBM 5x86. If you decide you want to try a GF2, use NVIDIA Detonator drivers v12.41 w/Am5x86. If using a POD, newer drives up to 77.72 will work.

You mentioned that JP17 is missing the header. I've seen this happen on the older version 2.0 boards. Newer version 2.0 boards have the jumper header in place. I'm not sure why they didn't change the PCB revision. The newer version 2.0 boards are a lot similar to the early 3.0 boards. Having JP17 soldered closed means that you cannot use FSBs of 20, 50, 60, and 83 MHz, but 25, 33, 40, and 66 MHz are available to you.

Concerning your intermittent PCI video issue (I realise it is no longer intermittent, it doesn't work at all), I wonder if your crystal is failing. It would be helpful to probe the PCI clock with an oscilloscope. I suppose your PLL could also be failing, which on this board is socketed and easy to replace. I have had issues on my version 1 board, which did not allow me to run the PCI bus at 1:1 (CMOS setting), even with a 33 MHz BUS. From that experience, I just avoid version 1 boards. Version 1 boards don't have any version numbers printed on them.

Also, this board works best with FPM memory. And if you are trying to use a CF card with the onboard IDE, I find that you need to set IDE Primary Master PIO to PIO-4, not AUTO.

I have looked over your BIOS settings. I will point out some of the differences from what I usually set.

PCI IDE IRQ Map To : PCI-AUTO
IDE Primary Master PIO - AUTO, if using CF card, set to PIO-4.
DRAM Read/Write = 0WS if using 40 MHz FSB or less. (Note my RAM is 60 ns or better)
L2 cache wait states = 2-1-1-1 if using 40 MHz or less and 256 KB of double-banked cache. (Note my cache is 15 ns or better)
Early Cache Write Mode = Enabled
Burst Copy Option = Enabled

What BIOS revision are you using? You might want to consider updating it. Updating the BIOS will also reset the ESCD, which may help with some PCI/ISA configuration problems.

Thnx for your input, lots of good information, especially about bios settings - i do plan to use CF adapter.

Regarding the RTC, my board have the A suffix on the Dallas/Odin chip (You can see this in my pictures few posts up], yet shorting jp12 [3&4 pins] does nothing.

You mentioned that desoldering that chip could help - well, i'm not afraid of soldering iron, so that what i'll do.

BIOS rev is on the attached picture, if there is newer bios that maybe i could update it outside MB, saw people do that using some device from china.

Attachments

• bios_rev.jpg
    Filename
    bios_rev.jpg
    File size
    31.09 KiB
    Views
    File license