VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new build! (cue fanfares) Yaay! Woohoo! Ahem.

My main criterion is capability: it should run EGA/VGA era DOS games (basically everything from 1990 on) perfectly and late 90's Windows games (e.g. Combat Flight Simulator 1 & 2) reasonably well. So I need everyone's advice on what to put in it.

Here is the hardware I currently have available in my stash:

CPU's:
Pentium 80502-100
Pentium 80502-133
Cyrix 6x86 266 MHz
AMD K6-2 300 MHz
Pentium III 450 MHz
Pentium III 800 MHz

Motherboards:
Super Socket 7, onboard ATI Rage IIc video
(Super??) Socket 7, AT-style, no AGP slot, haven't tested so don't know yet if this is an option
Slot 1, AGP video, 5 PCI, 1 ISA, onboard Yamaha DS-XG audio

Sound cards:
Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
Creative Vibra 128
Turtle Beach Riviera (Crystal-based chip, has FM sound in DOS)
One of those combination modem/sound cards which I know nothing about

Video cards:
3dfx Voodoo 3 AGP
Various other AGP cards which I will add to this post tomorrow when I edit it 😜
I don't have any PCI or ISA cards, which is why I couldn't test that one MB

Cases:
Big ugly beige case
Big ugly black case
Big ugly gray case
(as you can tell, I need to find a good case 😐 )

Of course, buying new hardware on eBay is always an option. So, what do y'all think?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

Late or early dos?

He said 1990 onwards, so "late" is probably more like it. Although even in 1992 there were still finicky speed-sensitive games.

keenmaster486 wrote:

Here is the hardware I currently have available in my stash:

I'd say that if you want to stay within the boundaries of your stash, you should go down the Pentium III route. I'm not up to speed when it comes to compatibility, but whatever works with your slot-1 board is probably what you want. Your K6-2 CPU is too slow @300MHz. If it had been a 500MHz chip, it would be more competitive.

Match one of your P-IIIs with the Voodoo 3000 and the AWE64 Value, and you should have a kickass machine for both late DOS and Windows.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with dr_st's recommendation.
Microsoft's minimum requirement for Combat Flight Simulator 2 is a Pentium 266 MHz with 32 MB RAM and a DirectX 7 capable graphics card (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/275579).
Realistically, a 450 MHz or faster CPU with 64 MB RAM should provide adequate performance.

However, at that speed, some early 90's DOS games won't run well (Wing Commander comes to mind).
If you can get your hands on a slightly faster K6-2 CPU, then you can perhaps achieve beter slow down speeds (refer Phil's tutorial on what you can achieve with a K6-2).

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For your glide games your sorted with the Voodoo3, which you would want to pair with the P3 That's windows sorted. depending on what d3d games you want.
I would then see which of your dos games do run into speed related issues if any.
AWE64 for dos although its a bit basic for windows, I'd use the Vibra 128 for that.