VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, this might sound strange but dureing under installation of windows 98 etc, evreything went fine with the 1 gigabyte and after finishing like installing software driver's for the card and programs like flash, java, that kind of software, after the reboot it decided to then again do that memory resistant error problem and this is a fresh install of windows 98.

Reply 4 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:

should be new enough for it, yes?

The motherboard doesn't matter, Windows 98 has issues with >512MB of RAM period.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many threads about this subject already. With 1 GB of RAM, your first option is to use HIMEMX.SYS, which is a free replacement for HIMEM.SYS that has a /MAX switch you can use to specify an amount of RAM less than 512 MB. Alternatively, you can set up a 512 MB RAM disk using XMSDISK, leaving 512 MB for Windows.

There are also edits you can make to SYSTEM.INI, but with 1 GB of RAM they will generally not solve all your problems.

Reply 8 of 23, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember there being a patch someone made that allows Windows 98 to work with 1GB or more. It was sold by the author online a long time ago. It's possible that it's still floating around.

Reply 9 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

I remember there being a patch someone made that allows Windows 98 to work with 1GB or more. It was sold by the author online a long time ago. It's possible that it's still floating around.

The famous Rloew ram patch
http://rloew.x10host.com/catalog.htm

I don't have it, a few people here do and say it does the job fine, just depends if you really need/want that much RAM in 98 is worth the price.
Even still I would get a cheap stick of ram, Even 64MB would be more then enough for simply installing windows

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

MIght then look for a 512 memory stick.

Perhaps I was unclear. The SYSTEM.INI edits might only help a little, but HIMEMX or XMSDISK will both solve the problem very effectively and are easy to implement.

Reply 12 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not at all! You only need to copy the relevant files to your hard drive somewhere, and edit your CONFIG.SYS. You can even do it from a boot disk if you need to. (Yes, Windows 9x still processes the CONFIG.SYS before Windows really starts booting.)

As I said, this is not a new problem and people have been doing this sort of thing for years now. (The only real catch is that Windows still will not start in Safe Mode, since Safe Mode does bypass CONFIG.SYS. But if for some reason you expect to be booting in Safe Mode frequently, you can still fix that problem by editing IO.SYS.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-06-07, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 23, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98SE works fine with 1GB of RAM without any tweaks...but only for me, looks like it's a seperate case for each configuration.
In any case, MaxPhysPage=20000 + HIMEMX should solve all issues.

Reply 17 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think you even need any parameters on HIMEMX. Just load it in config.sys and add MaxPhysPage=20000 to system.ini. You should probably also set maxfilecache=65536 or so or vcache can be another problem.

When installing with more than 1GB, load HIMEMX and also create a system.ini in C:\Windows with maxphyspage=20000 and maxfilecache=65536 and it will also fix the setup program.