VOGONS

Problem with SB0220 card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Link for Sound-Blaster-Live-Value-Installation-CD-1713330760.zip is dead, you know what CD I should use for this instructions from KT7AGuy link?
Sorry, I found - http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=659

I see in my country cheap AWE64 but it is still PCI card, not ISA. Could you please link me list of popular ISA sound card which I may cheap buy today?

Reply 21 of 37, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Piecho wrote:

I see in my country cheap AWE64 but it is still PCI card, not ISA. Could you please link me list of popular ISA sound card which I may cheap buy today?

AWE64 PCI cards are rare. Are you sure it is an AWE64 PCI card?

I don't know what country you're in or where you shop. However, you should look for these:

AWE64 Value models: CT4500, CT4501, CT4502, CT4520

SB16 models: CT2230 or CT2290

Reply 22 of 37, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I was wrong - its ISA AWE64.
I try to follow instruction:

Choose to install Sound Blaster Live, choose custom install when asked, and clear all the checkboxes when asked what options to install (don't choose dos drivers, launcher, etc). Setup proceeds as normal and it will try installing the VXD drivers but just ignore it. Windows should keep the WDM drivers installed after rebooting, but usually it'll replace the gameport with the multimedia device driver which you'll have to upgrade to the WDM gameport driver again.

When I run autostart from this CD I get:

tyez6lx.png

I tried to checkout every each box but then I only get registrations opton for my card. Do I do again something wrong? Link seems to be fine.

Reply 23 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Piecho wrote:

I used this card becouse I get IBM without any audio card. I found this SB in my house and just put in PC. I asumed everything should work fine.
Ok, I will carfully read inforations fro your link KT7AGuy.

This is perfectly understandable and many of us try to make due with what they have laying around 😉

And the ISA AWE64 would make a great addition and should suit your needs very well, you should go get it! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 37, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Piecho wrote:

When I run autostart from this CD I get:

<snip>

I tried to checkout every each box but then I only get registrations opton for my card. Do I do again something wrong? Link seems to be fine.

Like I was saying before: I think you're going to get a bunch of headaches with that SB0220.

Get the AWE64. It is much easier to get it working for DOS games. I think you will be much happier with it.

Reply 25 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not recommending the AWE64, but I am recommending an ISA card. Your best option will depend on your requirements for MIDI, OPL3, and sound quality.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 37, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just start windows 98, open the command prompt and type

SET

is there a BLASTER= .............. Line?

I think on my system there is in device Manager a creative legacy or something similar Device where i can set irq and Dma for Soundblaster Emulation.

Reply 27 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm not recommending the AWE64, but I am recommending an ISA card. Your best option will depend on your requirements for MIDI, OPL3, and sound quality.

I'm not judging your knowledge of old sound cards (my knowledge is basically kinda limited to 'as long as I can hear something'), but just wanting to point out that my main reason for recommending this AWE64 is that Piecho doesn't have any ISA sound cards whatsoever and this one will simply work and is cheap too. Cheap is important, right? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 37, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gdjacobs:

KT7AGuy wrote:

Get a cheap AWE64 Value and don't look back: CT4500, CT4501, CT4502, CT4520. This is your cheapest solution.

KT7AGuy wrote:

However, your easiest & best solution is a real SB16 CT2230 or CT2290, but it's gonna cost a bit more.

I think the guy just wants to play some DOS games with sound. I could be wrong about that.

Of course, the truly cheapest solution would be to just use DOSBox. It's probably the easiest solution too.

Reply 29 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm not judging your knowledge of old sound cards (my knowledge is basically kinda limited to 'as long as I can hear something'), but just wanting to point out that my main reason for recommending this AWE64 is that Piecho doesn't have any ISA sound cards whatsoever and this one will simply work and is cheap too. Cheap is important, right? 😁

He has options. YMF71x cards. Crystal based cards. ESS based cards. Aztech cards. Creative cards. All these chipsets have been incorporated in inexpensive and available cards. All have pluses and minuses.

With some examples of games and software which needs to run, I can likely narrow down the choices some more.

Reply 30 of 37, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, no new card will be needed : )
Its working as SBLive after installing driver from this pack - How to get Sound Blaster Emulation in Win9X/ME via live!5.1 with newer-current mobo's (no nmi-ddma) "CT4780.ZIP"
I checked "SET" as Sammy wrote and for secure I added "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330" in Autoexec.
Now everything is working - I checked for JazzJack Rabbit and Heroes I.

Yeah, I just want sound in DOS games, nothing more. It doesnt have to be higher quality.

Reply 31 of 37, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have tested SB0220 for DOS. No, the standard SBLive!/Audigy DOS drivers can't initialize the card.
And the standard SBLive! win drivers can't see this card too by the way... I have found the card CD but after heavy Internet searching.
*Censored* Dell.

*reading the post above...
Interesting...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 32 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that there are at least two different DOS drivers: SBINIT.COM and SBEINIT.COM. No idea what exactly the difference is between them. (It could just be the name.)

Reply 33 of 37, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i habve a backup of the DOSDRV Folder which is working on one Pc.

But the same files and the same card on another pc can't initialize the Card.

It depends on Mainboard Chipset if SB-Emulation works in Dos.

Reply 34 of 37, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
Have tested SB0220 for DOS. No, the standard SBLive!/Audigy DOS drivers can't initialize the card. And the standard SBLive! win […]
Show full quote

Have tested SB0220 for DOS. No, the standard SBLive!/Audigy DOS drivers can't initialize the card.
And the standard SBLive! win drivers can't see this card too by the way... I have found the card CD but after heavy Internet searching.
*Censored* Dell.

*reading the post above...
Interesting...

Indeed, very interesting. I've always avoided the SB0220 for Win95/98 because of its supposedly-abysmal DOS support. It might be a better choice for WinME? Personally, I will still avoid this card for Win9x. 1st and 2nd generation SBLive cards are proven tech when it comes to Win9x and DOS capabilities. Why cause problems and headaches when they are easily avoided? CT4830 is about $5 on eBay and they work really well in Win9x.

When I got my SB0220 years ago, I purchased it specifically for WinXP so that I could connect it to a toslink spdif IO bracket. In the days before CL released the SBLive Win2K/XP driver pack, these cards were notorious for having buggy and impossible-to-find drivers. From what I remember, if you didn't have the original installation CDROM you were totally screwed. CL didn't even make drivers for it available until 2003 with "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe". With that driver pack, the SB0220 is an excellent card to use under WinXP; reliable, stable, and very easy to setup. It may not have the features of the Audigy 2 ZS, but it's awfully nice to pop in the card, double click on "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe", and be up and running in minutes with no hassles and a very lightweight driver/software package. If you do want to use the SB0220 in Win2K/XP, then check the CL website for additional updated drivers and software. There are several updates available, but I've never used them so I can't say if they're good or even necessary. Under WinXP, I've always just used "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe" by itself with very good results.

When I purchased my SB0220, I made sure that the original driver disc was included. If you like, you can get it here:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 809&menustate=0

Also, while Holering's instructions do work, I've developed my own solution that builds upon his. For the CT4830, use the original installation CDROM, which you can get here:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=804&menustate=0

1 - Install drivers and software from the CDROM, then reboot twice to make sure everything is working OK.

2 - Next, check hardware manager and make sure the gameport is enabled. If it's disabled, enable it. Windows will ask for the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! CDROM. When it does this, insert the disc and point to "d:\audio\english\wdmdrv".

3 - Reboot

4 - Update the sound & gameport drivers by running sblw9xup.exe.

5 - The system will ask if you want to keep existing files. click on "Yes To All".

6 - You will probably get some errors and maybe even a BSOD. Just continue on until it asks you to reboot. When prompted, reboot your system.

7 - Update the sound & gameport drivers again by running sblw9xup.exe again.

8 - The system will ask if you want to keep existing files. click on "Yes To All".

9 - This time around, you shouldn't get any errors or BSODs. When prompted, reboot your system.

10 - Reboot again

By doing this, I've been able to get full SB16 DOS emulation working with my CT4830 cards in Win9x.

borat_280_1240972a.jpg

Reply 35 of 37, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can easily change the firmware of any SB Live card to look to the drivers like any other SB Live if you have an EEPROM programmer and a bit of soldering skills.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/livetolive51/index.html

The same is possible for other families of Creative cards. I've done it with X-Fi.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 36 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SB0220 has a modified APU. Simply changing the firmware doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I'm glad it's working in DOS! The main thing is that you're able to enjoy the titles you want to run. Part of the fun, though, is trying different things, finding what doesn't work, then finding a way to fix the problem.

Software and hardware are usually quite reasonable as long as you stay away from the rare items and boxed games. Especially in DOS sound devices, others have run into limitations with PCI cards. When you find one for a low price, an ISA sound card (or two) might be a handy thing to snap up.

Reply 37 of 37, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The SB0220 has a modified APU. Simply changing the firmware doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

You're actually not modifying anything in the firmware, only changing the device ID so you can install older or newer drivers. Worth a try, and easy to revert if it doesn't work.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O