VOGONS

not excited further

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some friends from my church are bringing me old pre 2000's computers and parts. Not sure what I'm getting but I'm quite excited. Hoping for some cool stuff.

Last edited by candle_86 on 2016-06-13, 17:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Cool. You can never have too many PCI modems.

Yup. The most useful item in the galaxy, probably. Those Lucent chipsets really kick ass at dialing.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

winmodems ftw! ones with no linux drivers, even better.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 7 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What? No mention of those M64's and loads of PC-66 32MB DIMMs and 8MB SIMMs which come with 2x2 of those very large memory chips per side?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 21, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds pretty promising. Could be a nice looking case in there, maybe a whole system with decent core components for some particular period. Or a weird mini-tower form-factor thing with proprietary components.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 13 of 21, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My last find was literally that, a friend phoned me up that he has some stuff, when I got there it was a Commodor Pet, two Spectravision computers a Apple IIe and a box filled with 386 and 486 motherboards another with isa cards...

So it might be a good find

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

yea wrong on the age of the systems, all early 2000's emachines, I didn't take them

What? Why not? Nothing wrong with a box of spare MX's, s478 Celerons and OEM SB Lives 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are PCI winmodems the most useless vintage hardware out there? ISA winmodems? Sounds like a good topic for a new thread 😀
Most useless/undesirable piece of vintage computer hardware

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 21, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

yea wrong on the age of the systems, all early 2000's emachines, I didn't take them

It's a bit snobbish but I do tend to turn my nose up at anything post-Pentium. Most disappointing recent gets were a Dell Dimension 2400 (P4 Celeron) and a Packard Bell iMedia (PIII Celeron). But I always go through these things with a fine toothcomb as there is often a silver lining e.g. the Dell came with a 17" CRT and the motherboard in the PB supports Tualatins! You can never have enough hard disks.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 18 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its not snobbish, these are emachines with pcchips boards and Celeron cpu's. No use for it. Heck they all had 128mb of PC1600 DDR 🤣

Reply 19 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing that I have learned is not to be rude when people take the time to offer up old or broken machines as gifts even if the hardware is useless. I often strip such machines and keep what I can until they are scarce like 486 and socket5/7 machines are now. If the case is in good shape I will keep the whole machine and put it somewhere out of the way.

Most of the retro machines posted here was at one time regarded as throw away junk and look at them know, p4/athlon xp era will have its chance of becoming something of significant interest someday.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.