VOGONS

Reply 40 of 121, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel like you about zip drives, had many of them die a premature death. I still have an external parallel one, complete with cable and a few disks. Haven't tried using it in over 12 years, but last I remember it still worked. I would never dream about storing anything of any value on those disks though after we had a few catastrophes at work in the early 2000s.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 41 of 121, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have an external firewire zip drive which was useful... for testing firewire installations. It was the only firewire device I had back then.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 42 of 121, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

How about the serial 9-to-25-pin adapters?

Good one! Or even the stand-alone ribbon cable. This completely slipped my mind. The only item I have which uses a 25-pin serial connector is my old Ti graphing calculator, but there is a 25-pin-to-9-pin adapter for this, making the need for a 25-pin serial port useless.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 43 of 121, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally found a piece of hardware that can use a male-A-to-male-A USB cable: an extremely crappy-looking cooling pad that probably can't effectively cool anything.

Otherwise, I would not have expected to ever find something that could ever use such a fundamentally useless cable, despite the fact that the cables themselves are readily available for some strange reason. Its useless cousins, the male-A-to-female-B USB cable and the female-A-female-A adapter, also turn up.

Reply 44 of 121, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Modems can used to connect two Systems together with a little circuit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Direct-connec … d-modems-or-te/

You just have to ignore Dialtone and the modems will connect well.
So you can use them as cheapo network cards (eg. Laptops with build in Modem without LAN... for example).

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 45 of 121, by motley6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MPEG1 cards immediately comes to mind. Playing Video CD's on a Pentium 133Mhz is probably not a priority for anyone.

I was also going to say dedicated 8 bit joystick cards and 9 to 25 pin serial adapters, but I forgot about IBM PC, XT and clone enthusiasts.

\

Reply 46 of 121, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a keystick. The URL is in spanish, but clicking on the photos will enlarge them and you'll see the item: some kind of add-on that is put above cursor keys to fake a joystick. That item is mostly useless now, either because the keyboard has not enough space surrounding the cursor keys to place it or because the keys are too low to be pressed.

Looking to the pictures, it's hard not to mention those "cages" that came with some mouses and were meant to be glued to computer case. The keystick had one 😉

Also, I've got a USB to USB cable. It was used to transfer files between two computers, but I'm afraid that it's not supported in later Windows.

matze79 wrote:

Modems can used to connect two Systems together with a little circuit.

Why not using a null modem cable? Simpler, cheaper and faster than using two modems. A better use for that circuit would be using that circuit to connect a fax and a modem to get a cheap, low resolution, black and white scanner (or printer). Some years ago two coworkers use a similar circuit to test faxes, rendering two faxes into a copier.

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

How about the serial 9-to-25-pin adapters?

I used some of them with financial printers (i.e.: Olivetti MB2, Wincor 4915, etc), to make a printer work with a serial cable for another model. I know that it would be better to replace the cable, but sometimes that mean to wait another day.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 47 of 121, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

Why not using a null modem cable? Simpler, cheaper and faster than using two modems.

Because some systems have a modem, but not a serial or parallel port (and one of the systems may not be a PC but a console, e.g. Dreamcast)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 48 of 121, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

focusing more on the undesirable side then useless.
-Small capacity HDD's, I still like the OS installed on a HDD rather then CF cards, It just sound wrong otherwise, but I wouldn't really bother with using anything smaller then whatever that PC maxes out (6GB and 8GB for my earliest PC's) accept I already have the smaller drives.

-CD Drives, Again I use them as I have them but if I actually had to buy one I'd get DVD instead.

-Floppy Drive, 50/50 on this, if I actually need to use a floppy for anything then a 1 off file copy I'll swap it for a gotek. but still has a certain nostalgia element to it.

Reply 49 of 121, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is one thing about old TV card and that is getting a good signal from old consoles and or home computers such as C64. They use non-standard signalling and most of the modern solutions fail miserably. A lot of old cards use the Brooktree Bt878 (later Conexant Bt878) chipset which can cope well with non standard video signals. It is worthwhile to save those cards as they are still supported today by e.g. DScaler even in Win10 64 bit.
So if you have such a card (some even with S-Video In) and consider dumping them, I still have a use for them.
Sometimes this chipset is on cards in addition to SAT, like on the Pinnacle PCTV-SAT.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 52 of 121, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

Also, I've got a USB to USB cable. It was used to transfer files between two computers, but I'm afraid that it's not supported in later Windows.

Yes, there are "USB bridge" cables that have a bunch of extra circuitry in the middle. (I'm not sure what driver support is like for those.) But there are also cables with no such circuity that may very well damage the USB port if you try to use them.

Reply 53 of 121, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I threw away a bag of softmodems (PCI winmodems, CNR and AMR) last time I cleaned my hardware stash. I'd say old printers, especially inkjets, are pretty much going to be just a dust collector in any hardware collection.

Reply 56 of 121, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Agree on TV cards... but from my experience they introduce a bit of lag.

Depends on the card, of course. I used to have a Radeon All-In-Wonder card (first gen I think), and I used that for quite a bit of retro console gaming in 2002-2004 through my PC.

Reply 57 of 121, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

male-A-to-male-A USB cable [...] I would not have expected to ever find something that could ever use such a fundamentally useless cable, despite the fact that the cables themselves are readily available for some strange reason. Its useless cousins, the male-A-to-female-B USB cable and the female-A-female-A adapter, also turn up.

Unfortunately this abomination of a cable is quite common where I live because pretty much all of the cheap (as in 'the only ones you can buy') 2.5" & 3.5" IDE/SATA to USB hard drive enclosures have the male-A socket on them instead of something sensible like the B or mini-B. At first I replaced the connectors on the enclosures I bought but it got tiring very quickly and I finally caved in and used the damned things as-is. And they did it again with USB 3.0 for god's sake! 😳

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 58 of 121, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Dell OptiPlex GX150 came with one of these in the AGP slot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP_Inline_Memory_Module

I quickly replaced it with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600. Nowadays, I'd say AIMM modules are more of a curiosity than something useful.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 59 of 121, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

CNR/AMR modems at least have curiosity value.

Now those were truly useless even pci modems were at least a fail safe option and didn't need a dedicated slot.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.