VOGONS

First post, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks, how are you? I mostly lurk here, but now I'm coming to y'all for some advice. I recently acquired a Roland MT-32 to use it with games that support it, and I love it! I'm kinda hooked, so I want to expand my hardware and add a module that support General Midi as well. After doing a lot of research, I'm mostly keen on a Roland SC-55 Mk2 Sound Canvas.

That said, I only have one PC with one soundcard. Currently I'm using a USB Midi interface with the MT-32, which is also connected to the line-in on the sound card. I'm therefore wondering if it's possible to be able to connect both an MT-32 and SC-55 to the same sound card so I can choose which to use whenever.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to do this, and I thank you for your time. 😀

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 1 of 49, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can use the THRU/THROUGH port to go from the mt32 to the 55 but you do need a stereo selector or a mixer to select the desired output.

remember the mt32 has 1/4trs out jacks, the 55 has rca jacks, so you will need to do some conversion. you can probably use old AV selector box and ignore the svideo and just use it for audio selection

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 49, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Note that if the sound card is a number of SB16 or SB AWE32 models, the 'hanging note' MIDI bug may happen if digital sound and MIDI are played at the same time.

(Also, Tie Fighter is a real arse to configure)

Reply 4 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ynari wrote:

Note that if the sound card is a number of SB16 or SB AWE32 models, the 'hanging note' MIDI bug may happen if digital sound and MIDI are played at the same time.

(Also, Tie Fighter is a real arse to configure)

I've got the MT-32 connected to the audio in on my Sound Blaster Audiligy soundcard, works great. Why is TIE Fighter an arse to configure?

Also, a friend suggested a midi cable plugged into the thru ports, and the audio out in the MT-32 connected to the audio in on the SC-55. Might that work as well?

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 49, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you can do that.

The SC-55 has RCA inputs at the back that get mixed together.

Because both will play at the same time, when you want to hear the SC-55, you got to mute the MT-32 (turn volume to 0), and when you want to hear the MT-32, you got to mute the SC-55 (Mute all parts through the menu).

That should work.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have a CM64, MT32 and an SC55 chained and have them all on one power switch so I only turn them on when I actually need them...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 49, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a little guide a copied from an internet site at one point.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you care about sound quality and noise level you must not forget that chaining analog audio through several devices adds to the noise level.
Each device in the chain has an op-amp (amplifier) at the input and the output, the PC sound card will convert the sound yet again with input and output amplifier and two digital-to-analog/analog-to-digital conversions.
MT32 (output) -> SC-55 (input) -> SC55 (output) -> PC (input) -> PC (ADC) -> PC (DAC) -> PC (output).

The amount of amplifiers in each stage will elevate the noise floor even if nothing is playing, noise is also an audio signal.
Unbalanced cables pick up interference noise, and chaining different audio devices may create ground loop problems and a "buzz" on the audio signal.

I suggest a small mixer (Behringer 1002 for example), this will parallel the op-amp chain instead of chaining it in series.
Your speakers should be connected to the mixer outputs, all the devices (PC, MT32, SC55) should connect to the mixer inputs and mixed to your liking (make sure you don't clip).

Also you do not want to attenuate the signal and then amplify it again, this is the worst thing you can do to deteriorate signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).
So turn your PC output to full, MT-32 volume to full (but not clipping) and SC-55 to full (but not clipping) and attenuate at the mixer.

Cheers.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 10 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm always wondering what the smallest active mixer there is that is good and provides 4 line ins (not necessarily mic in, don't care about those).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 49, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

I'm always wondering what the smallest active mixer there is that is good and provides 4 line ins (not necessarily mic in, don't care about those).

Hmm, not small, but when I was researching I ended up with a model from Phonic. It's quite hard finding one with 4 Stereo inputs, most are mic / mono only.

Reply 12 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Hmm, not small, but when I was researching I ended up with a model from Phonic. It's quite hard finding one with 4 Stereo inputs, most are mic / mono only.

Yeah, Mic/Mono I could without. Currently I'm using a little box that has mechanic switches for whichlines should go together... Not very audiophil 😉

Reply 13 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Behringer 1002, it's an exact copy of the Phonic AM 105, even the same power supply connector.
I bet it even uses the same general purpose 4580 op-amps in all mixers from cheapest to the most expensive.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-18, 14:50. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 14 of 49, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Yeah, Mic/Mono I could without. Currently I'm using a little box that has mechanic switches for whichlines should go together... Not very audiophil 😉

AudioPhil 😊

Here is a 2 channel stereo for 48 Teuros: http://www.thomann.de/at/phonic_am_55.htm

And here a 4 channel stereo for 74 Teuros: http://www.thomann.de/at/phonic_am125.htm

Reply 15 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An audio mixer is pretty simple to make. One op amp per channel with matching resistors (for fixed gain summation). You also need a power supply for the op amp.

http://wiredworld.tripod.com/tronics/mixer_mixer.png

Fixed gain has the added benefit of no scratchy potentiometers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Nady MM-242.
4 stereo channels active mini mixer.
Probably the best (compact) solution for a retro rig with 3 synth modules.

Reply 17 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Here's a little guide a copied from an internet site at one point.

Ah, this is perfect, so connecting the USB Midi interface I already have to the SC-55, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NTK/ … d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

To connect the midi thru ports on both devices, then this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-202-Stereo-In … ch+to+rca+cable

To connect the output from the MT-32 to the input on the SC-55, then this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3A/ … d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

To connect the output on the SC-55 to the line-in on my Sound Blaster sound card.

Does that sound right? I don't mind turning both units on if that's what's needed.

Reply 18 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:
If you care about sound quality and noise level you must not forget that chaining analog audio through several devices adds to t […]
Show full quote

If you care about sound quality and noise level you must not forget that chaining analog audio through several devices adds to the noise level.
Each device in the chain has an op-amp (amplifier) at the input and the output, the PC sound card will convert the sound yet again with input and output amplifier and two digital-to-analog/analog-to-digital conversions.
MT32 (output) -> SC-55 (input) -> SC55 (output) -> PC (input) -> PC (ADC) -> PC (DAC) -> PC (output).

The amount of amplifiers in each stage will elevate the noise floor even if nothing is playing, noise is also an audio signal.
Unbalanced cables pick up interference noise, and chaining different audio devices may create ground loop problems and a "buzz" on the audio signal.

I suggest a small mixer (Behringer 1002 for example), this will parallel the op-amp chain instead of chaining it in series.
Your speakers should be connected to the mixer outputs, all the devices (PC, MT32, SC55) should connect to the mixer inputs and mixed to your liking (make sure you don't clip).

Also you do not want to attenuate the signal and then amplify it again, this is the worst thing you can do to deteriorate signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).
So turn your PC output to full, MT-32 volume to full (but not clipping) and SC-55 to full (but not clipping) and attenuate at the mixer.

Cheers.

So wait, I'd have them go each to a separate mixer, which would then go to the PC sound card?

Reply 19 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
13.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Midi Chain (2 cables):
PC midi output -> SC-55 Midi Input,
SC-55 Midi Thru -> MT-32 Midi Input.

The mixer blends and adjusts all the audio inputs, and outputs a combined (mixed) signal to your main speakers.
No need to go back to your sound card.