VOGONS

First post, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, previously I found here a lot of info and hope somebody will be able to help me.

I recently got a Pentium 60 with OEM version of Intel's Batman's Revenge motherboard (delivered by Polish firm Optimus).

The system works except the CDROM detection. I cannot get it to work. As I understand the board does not support booting form CD (only C and A are available in the BIOS, the documentation states so also). The board have 2 controllers, one on PCI and other on ISA, both seems to work fine, the can run Quantum Bigfoot 2,5GB (altho manually set to 1,2 GB) and it automatically detects old 42MB DM3142A HDD (but I couldn't get them to run both at once, when to 42MB disk is detected the Quantum is not, no matter the settings and cable connections). However no matter how I'll connect any working CD or DVD drive it is not detected. Neither by BIOS nor DOS (which is not surprising). I tried setting all modes to auto, switched jumpers, cables etc. The CD and DVD drives work in other, newer systems (the oldest one is a IBM P166+ system), so they should be good.

I updated the BIOS of the MB to the newest version (it had 1.00.12.AF2, I applied 1.00.12.AF2) to no avail. I tried the oldest drive I could find (mitsumi from 1997 and LG from 2003). Should I triy to find even older drive?

Any Help would be appreciated. A system without a CDROM drive is difficult to use...

Also how should I set the two disks to be available together. I did not manage to find any info on the web how to set J5 jumpers on the web.

Last edited by xboingx on 2016-06-15, 10:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Small update, I managed to get the HDDs work together, MastarDISK 42 MB as master and quantum as slave, set in BIOS as C and D respectively but on ISA controller, the PCI one does not work for both drives. Still no go with CD/DVD 😒

Reply 2 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have the newer premiere PCI board.

i only boots from c or a. but with plop bootmanager i can boot from cdrom too.

BTW, i had no problems with CDrom detection.
Set everything in bios to auto.

Reply 3 of 12, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it probably is the same as mine, it's also the newer one (the batman revenge). So what can be the problem? Broken IDE controllers? So why the HDD works...

Does your system print any information about the drive found? Mine only writes

Hard Disk X: Name of the drive detected

Reply 4 of 12, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I made it work. It occurred that this bios just does not print info about other devices than HDD. Simply configuring DOS to load a cdrom driver was enough... Yeah, stupid me 😁

Edit: Configuring DOS not BIOS

Last edited by xboingx on 2016-06-17, 19:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make a plop bootdisk (write image to a Floppydisc) and boot from A, than you can boot from cd-rom.

Also you can use bigger harddrives with EZ-drive or Ontrack disk overlay.

i installed a 10 GB HDD and make 2 Partitions:
One for Win95 and one for Win3.11 / Dos-Games.

When using Disk Overlay, first boot from HDD, then the Overlay Software boots the Floppy disk.
Never try to boot from floppy directly when using Overlay Software.

Reply 6 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This why I get lazy and just use another machine to install the os then move the drive over, it works for a lot of operating systems. I do it for 9x occasionally and never really have any problems, this trick works all the way up to windows 10 if you don't do anything too crazy 🤣.

Install 98 using another machine then swap the drive over to the socket 4 rig and then do the drivers ect. The onboard ide with these boards is dreadful.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cleaner method would be to copy the disks (Dos) or cab files (9x) onto the HDD then kick off the install once the HDD is back in the original PC.
Also has the advantage of no annoying "please insert Windows CD" when installing drivers, etc if you don't move the folder after
NT based Windows don't like it so much though.

Reply 8 of 12, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another question about this board. The manual states that the RZ1000 controller allows using more than 528MB of HDD space. I read somewhere that the actual limit is 2GB. And here is the problem with the Quantum Bigfoot disk. I had to set the disk manually, otherwise the BIOS hangs. This is obvious, as the board supports HDD up to 2GB. So I limited the cylinder count to 4092 (previously even 2492 aka 1,2GB). And this does not work with DOS. The BIOS is OK with those settings, but fdisk in DOS claims that the disk has only 504MB. LBA is enabled. I tried to format the HDD in other system, it worked fine until I wrote more than 504 MB. Reinstall after that 😀

Any ideas? The HDD is on the PCI IDE controller, the translation mode is set manually to LBA. Other drives are set to auto configure.

I can live with the 504MB limit, don't want to use any remapping software, don't need cd rom boot either. I'm just curious where the problem is.

Reply 9 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think its a fault of the bios.

The PC here hang also when instert a 4,3 GB Quantum Fireball for example.
The biggest drive i've installed with Bios set to "auto" is a 2.1 GB HDD.

So when i installed a bigger disk i set to standard chs, and i can use only 504 MB.
Then with drive overlay software i am able to use the full 10 GB.

You can't ever have enough space on HDD 😉

Btw, look for Ide prefetch buffer or something similar and disable it.
In later Bios revisions it it greyed out and can't enabled, cause it will cause data corruption.

Reply 10 of 12, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the newest bios so it is disabled.

Regarding hdd my setup works the same way however I should be able to get up to 2 GB with lbaenabled on the hdd. I understand why autodetection does not work but lba should give me 2 gb with manual settings of the hdd parameters. Or am I wrong?

Reply 11 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know.

I never tryed anything else than standard chs (504 MB), extended CHS (i think up to 1,2 GB) or LBA (up to 2,1 GB).

Always used the "auto" settings.
On bigger HDD (between 2.1 and 4.3 GB) the bios begin to hang when it detect the HDD.