VOGONS

My ULTIMATE V2 SLI cooling

Topic actions

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I have completed my ULTIMATE cooling solution, muahahahaha!

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

The copper heatsinks are all pure copper, not the usual 'copper tone' and the main chip ones are black aluminium. I used artic alumina adhesive for the main chips. They make a massive difference to temperatures, with the big fan blowing over them all they all become quite cool to the touch rather than the v2's usual 80 degrees.

Reply 4 of 27, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is more about cooling for protecting the longevity of the card Anthony, but even if I soldered 125mhz memory on I doubt it would overclock to that because in my experience SLI'd V2's don't overclock very well because they loose synchronization between each other too easily.

Reply 6 of 27, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

I wonder if there is a big enough market to actually have something cnced out of aluminum that covers the entire card like modern coolers do...

There are plenty of amplifier heatsinks to do the job. The GENDAC chip is higher than all the other ones though, nothing a file can't fix.

Reply 7 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mzry wrote:

It is basically mounted with *really strong* spongy double sided tape on the PSU.

Would you be willing to share some detailed pics of your side-mounted V2 cooling fan?

I've been wanting to experiment with such a system further, I have tried in the past to use some kind of foam + mounting material to the front of the case for improved cooling (especially since I can mount larger fans this way).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks awesome! I would add some kind of shroud to keep the air directed over the cards. Plastic from an old package would work. I've done this before and it can make a big difference.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 27, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mzry wrote:

This is more about cooling for protecting the longevity of the card Anthony, but even if I soldered 125mhz memory on I doubt it would overclock to that because in my experience SLI'd V2's don't overclock very well because they loose synchronization between each other too easily.

You'd be surprised how well they oc. I had a v2 sli setup running at 110mhz for the longest time.

Anyway you card looks good! Overkill, but who cares, it look killer.

Edit: 80c or 80f?

Reply 11 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking nice! Where did you source those heatsinks from?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh so my hanging a fan off the card with a cable tie wasn't ultimate enough for you 😜
Seriously though nice job. also interested in how you mounted the fan

Reply 14 of 27, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

What are the dimensions of the black heatsinks?

40mmx11mmx40mm
Black heatsinks:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390948845443?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Copper ramsinks:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221329369259?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Square copper ones I used on the gendac:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Pieces-Copper-He … %3D221329369259

Notes on the fan:

Image3 really shows everything. What you might not have realised is that I'm using a bottom mounted PSU because it's a modern case. The fan is basically double sided taped to the top of the PSU at the bottom. I used super strong tape which is spongy and thick which is good for reducing noise and vibration. The PSU protrudes just enough over the PCI cards that there is a perfect amount of clearance. The case actually has a window that comes out further from the case allowing room for airflow etc, so it's not flat alongside an opaque aluminum side. Hope this explanation helps.

Here is a closeup: Image 4
It's even large enough to cool the g400's heatsink too 😀

PS the orange fan at the top cools the CPU (Tualatin 1.4s) Ram and Chipset all in one. Also another advantage of large fans is that the machine is very quiet.

Link to the case I use: Case link I've used this case for 3x retro systems now, highly recommended.

Reply 15 of 27, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just wanted to say that all of the caps in the title really makes this thread worth clicking to see. Would visit again. A++. 🤣

Speaking of cooling, I've had a very good experience with these tiny fans. They push a fair amount of air and are silent. Imo, it's worth putting them on chips which get very hot like chipsets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HXH-40mm-x-10mm-CPU-C … n0AAOSwPe1UA4KY

Even though you have a large fan cooling both cards, it may not be as effective as a small, lower RPM fan, directly attached to the heatsink.

Reply 16 of 27, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks neat, but do parts besides the 3 part main chipset get hot enough to worry? What are you clocking these things at, where does it make a difference?

I grabbed some Chinese heatsinks off of eBay for my card and not too bothered about active cooling.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 17 of 27, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

May be the same can be done with Voodoo2s. Oh wait, there are no holes on Voodoo2 PCBs for holding heatsinks and water blocks.

Attachments

• V5.jpg
    Filename
    V5.jpg
    File size
    146.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 27, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Looks neat, but do parts besides the 3 part main chipset get hot enough to worry? What are you clocking these things at, where does it make a difference?

I grabbed some Chinese heatsinks off of eBay for my card and not too bothered about active cooling.

The V2 gets shockingly hot all round. Even the ram-chips can be almost painful to touch after a good amount of gaming. I didn't do this for overclocking, mainly just to keep it cool.

Reply 19 of 27, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say, the black and copper color scheme makes this look REALLY badass.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4