My ULTIMATE V2 SLI cooling

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mzry wrote:

Even the ram-chips can be almost painful to touch after a good amount of gaming.

Don't you think that your Voodoo2 memory heatsinks are a bit on a small size side? What size are the?

Reply 21 of 27, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
mzry wrote:

Even the ram-chips can be almost painful to touch after a good amount of gaming.

Don't you think that your Voodoo2 memory heatsinks are a bit on a small size side? What size are the?

They were the best I could find for a reasonable price.

Reply 22 of 27, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wondered that myself... is it possible to machine a copper or aluminum heatsink block to fit the reference Voodoo2 chip setup to cool it and then build it into a full 2x slot shroud like on modern cards with a blower fan on one end a-la nVidia cards. You could have a molex connector to power the fans on each one. It'd be a beast. But probably expensive as hell to plan, machine, and make.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 23 of 27, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

is it possible to machine a copper or aluminum heatsink block to fit the reference Voodoo2 chip setup to cool it and then build it into a full 2x slot shroud like on modern cards with a blower fan on one end a-la nVidia cards.

Umm. Double-slot Voodoo 2 in SLI? May as well put a blower on a Voodoo 3 and save three slots (2x from Voodoo and 1.. or 2 for 2D GPU). 😐

Reply 25 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Actually if Voodoo3's came with the original "3Dfx Interactive" logo and splash screens, I WOULD learn to love them more! 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 26 of 27, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

^ Actually if Voodoo3's came with the original "3Dfx Interactive" logo and splash screens, I WOULD learn to love them more! 😁

Wait, is that the Voodoo2 card doing that when it gets switched to? I thought it was the game doing that with the Glide API.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 27 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The splash is in the drivers... Not sure if you can replace it with one from from the V1/V2/Banshee, haven't tried or looked into it. But still we wouldn't have the same logo on the card and the chip. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)