VOGONS

First post, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are slow video cards. ISA are slower than PCI. PCI than AGP. Different models have different performance too.
In benches like 3dbench or internal benchmark in Doom we may see seriously less results with some video cards.

CPU like P3 may be slowedowned by some ISA and PCI cards to 486 level, according to benches. But what about practice?
Did someone get actual use of this effect to solve speed issues in some games? What games that were and hardware?

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 1 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never intentionally slowed a system down that way, but I imagine it would work in certain cases.

Many years ago when I bought GTA San Andreas, it actually ran too fast on my computer (which at the time was a 3GHz Opteron and 8800GTS SLI). The game was a console port and I believe it was designed to run at 30fps. The initial PC release had issues with dual core CPUs (and only dual core CPUs; you could have a 6GHz single core and the game would run at the correct speed.)

Now if I had dropped in a much slower video card--for example a Radeon X300, which probably wouldn't be able to render more than 30 fps even on a dual core platform--then your method of slowdown would probably work. However, if I remember correctly I was able to run it at normal speed by changing the game's processor affinity setting.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Rendition Verite plays Warcraft 1 perfectly. Usually water and building plots flicker too fast on asnything faster than 386, but with a Rendition card it's fine.

That said, these days I just use moslo, disabled cache, or DOS box.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Yes, Rendition Verite plays Warcraft 1 perfectly. Usually water and building plots flicker too fast on asnything faster than 386, but with a Rendition card it's fine.

Which CPU was combined and which model of Rendition? What about other known speed sensitive games?

Last edited by Tertz on 2016-06-16, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 4 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:
ratfink wrote:

Wich CPU was combined and which model of Rendition? What about other known speed sensitive games?

It was a Creative 3D Blaster PCI CT6240 (Chipset V1000-E). I know this because I bought the card from Ratfink a couple of years ago and he told me the Warcraft feature 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 7, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have in the past with a DFI Socket 7 system(the one in my sig), used a Realtek 256K ISA VGA card, that brings it down into the realms of 386DX/slow 486 but without any of the lag you get with cache disabling, like slow drive access and what have you, the machine remained usable for other stuff than games, but the FPS was fine for earlier games. It was a pretty nice solution to be honest, but doesn't have the flexibility or SETMUL or cache disabling of course. I actually used a ISA Western Digital Paradise 512K card in that machine for a good few months, it made a IDT Winchip 200 into a very nice smooth 486 machine for games, but non graphic sensitive stuff still ran great.
To be honest I'm not convinced that cache disabling is all that pleasing to use, a socket 370 system feels horrid with level 1 disabled, far more sluggish that even my 386SX 25 despite the benchmark numbers, but it does drop the frames, it's the other slowdowns I find hard to live with.
OK so after that ramble, yes a slow ISA VGA will do a great job of bringing a fast pentium down to 386/486 levels.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 6 of 7, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Tertz wrote:
ratfink wrote:

Wich CPU was combined and which model of Rendition? What about other known speed sensitive games?

It was a Creative 3D Blaster PCI CT6240 (Chipset V1000-E). I know this because I bought the card from Ratfink a couple of years ago and he told me the Warcraft feature 😀

Because the Rendition's 2D is garbage, it runs legacy 2D modes terribly (in DOOM you would get about 10-15 FPS on a Pentium III)