VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First off wanted to say hello. Been hanging around vogons for several months now and have found it to be quite interesting and informative.

I finally have a question I would like to ask the community about a build I am working on where I have hit a strange issue. I have a very small form factor (almost LPX type?) case with a riser card. The riser is 16 bit ISA only. I have been slowly getting parts off ebay and replacing as I can and I finally have everything but with the last piece which was a speedstar video card I have introduced an issue.

I get strange colors and it isn't bad VRAM. At POST screen the colors will be randomly off. Like the yellow energy star logo will be blue, then next reboot it will be red, then it will be fine on the next reboot, but seconds later something else will have a different color. However you also can get a screen full of jumbled color bars with lines as well at random times. This didn't happen til I put the speedstar64 ISA card in the system. I have tried both the IRQ and wait state jumper on the new video card with no change. Tried disabling all caching and set everything to fail safe type settings in AMI bios with no change either. I have found that the only way to correct this anomaly is to remove my IDE/Floppy controller from the riser. If I put the controller directly in its own slot in the mainboard the system seems normal and happy. Now this is great, but I can't normally run the controller card in a different slot unless I have the case fully disassembled since the back won't line up properly and the case won't go back together, so I am limited to using only the riser. The old trident card didn't have this issue, so I guess the speedstar is running faster or the controller won't let it work properly. I also tried it with turbo button enabled or disabled, it didn't change anything.

Has anyone heard of this type of issue? I know I have been working on PC's since the early nineties and I have never had this issue, of course 99 percent of the machines I serviced were not using risers.

Just wondering if someone thought a jumper on the mainboard might help me out or if everyone thinks I should try a different IDE controller. I don't have access to another controller to try out at the moment, as I would have to get one on ebay. At all the places I work for, I can't seem to find anything older than a Pentium 4 775 LGA. Old hardware is hard to come by in these parts...

The specs..
Genuine Intel 486DX 33MHz
V4P895P3 SMT /V1.0 socket 3 mainboard
ISA speedstar64 Video card /w 2MB
ISA UN1075GT Controller (winbond w83758p + w83757F)
ISA Creative SoundBlaster 16 (removed altogether for testing purposes)

Thanks for any input anyone has.

Reply 1 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

- clean all ISA 'gold fingers' with a rubber (soft side)
- check if there is any damage done to connectors or traces on the riser
- plug/unplug the cards several times to try to get rid of dirt/corrosion
- check if the riser works better in another slot if possible

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 7, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some of these riser cards have jumper on them as well

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 4 of 7, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't have the issue at all with the old video card which was an offbrand card that I can only find VP44 on the board. It's main chip is a CL GD5320. However the built in font this card uses in dos is awful. The riser has no jumpers and infact am surprised that the only circuitry on the thing is one tantalum cap at the bottom. Only other thing on it is traces and sockets, which all look good and works good too with the old video card.

Physically moving the cards around in the riser yielded same video issues, moving the riser physically to a different slot didn't change the issues either, so it seems directly linked to video card not wanting to share the controller on the riser component.

Reply 5 of 7, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe an irq issue? some ports may be shared with others

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 6 of 7, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little update, I had another 486 board in my drawer and decided to try the riser out on it. Same CPU, no problems whatsoever, so something related to the other motherboard. I sure would like to use the other board however since it has more cache and supports LBA whereas this other one does not.

Reply 7 of 7, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I am happy to report back that since moving the riser back over to the original motherboard the issues seem to be gone. I guess maybe it was something on the riser contacts causing some interference. With my luck as soon as I post this it will act up again, but I just played about 10 minutes of wolf3d and had no issues, whereas before it was at the POST screen with the issues would start occurring. Thanks again for all the ideas to bounce around.