VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was offered an Aztech Multimedia Pro 16 ABO card for a few euros. It has an OPL3 chip.

Is this worth buying?

Reply 1 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on what your needs are.
If you're looking for an ISA based Sound Blaster Pro II compatible sound card (under DOS), with true OPL3 synthesis and a Wave Blaster connector (without the MIDI hanging note bug), then this is a good buy.
It does offer full 16-bit recording and playback capability under Windows and, like the Sound Blaster 16 and other clones of that era, also has a game port and UART mode MPU-401 MIDI interface.

Aztech Labs was most famous for their Sound Galaxy range of this sound cards and I believe that this particular model was sold as part of a multimedia kit.
If it has the FCC ID of I38-MMSN850, then it's the one that utilises the AZT2316 A/R chipset, which is part of the 3rd generation of sound cards that Aztech Labs sold.
It's still a non Plug 'n Play sound card, but I've never had problems installing this under Windows 95.

If the card is the one that I described above and you do decide to buy it, let me know since I have the drivers for this particular model.

Reply 2 of 2, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a very low price, I'd say it is. Aztech made decent cards. I believe they also support WSS audio in DOS when the software supports it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder