VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello! I want to find out which driver is the best to use in the case of the Radeon 4650 AGP. I had a hard time searching for drivers when I first got the card (broken links, missing drivers 😵 ) and I witnessed some odd performance in places on a Pentium 4 3.2GHz.

This is a somewhat popular card, as it is one of the fastest one can get for AGP, so I'm hoping someone else has found the perfect driver for it 😁.

Reply 1 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just last week running the 9.3 agp hotfix driver on my HD3850, but really can't remember if any driver was better than any other.
You can get older drivers from Filehippo, couldn't see the hotfix drivers there though. I had my driver saved on a DVD disc that I burnt
years ago.
From memory You can force install the driver via device manager. I used to use Ati Tray Tools for overclocking instead of
CCC.

http://filehippo.com/download_ati_catalyst_xp/

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't go for newest possible.
Latest Radeon drivers can create problems with old programs/games (and that "AGP fix" type of driver, can sometimes be necessary).
I would try Catalyst 12.3 first and go from there.

Last thing : Sometimes automatic installer fails, if it happends - go for manual instalation (ie. pick what driver device manager should install from .inf file in ATI/AMD driver folder).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-06-21, 13:45. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png