VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello. I have an old NEC Ready 7022 Pentium PC with 8mb of RAM that I just got working and have installed Windows 95. I have graphics drivers installed in Windows, but I can't for the life of me get sound working in it. The system uses an obscure Opti/NEC82C930 sound system that offers Windows Sound System and Sound Blaster Pro compatibility. The Sound Blaster Pro compatibility works great with all of the DOS games I've tried, but when I change it to Windows Sound System mode there's still no sound in Windows at all. No drivers even show up in Device Manager. There's a WINSETUP.exe in the files, but when I run it it says that the files are damaged and aborts. These are my settings in the DOS-based utility program the sound driver comes with. All sound tests pass, by the way. I'd highly appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

IMG_4589_zpsbu2hlzh6.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot. Here are the drivers I used, just in case if it helps at all. Also, Windows Sound System sound works fine in the DOS games I've tried that support it.

http://www.hough.ca/nec_drivers/

Reply 2 of 13, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, even though I found the proper Windows 95 drivers for the sound system here on Vogons, I still get conflicts with "other devices" (it either says it's conflicting with something called "Other Device or a Gameport Joystick)... What gives now?

Reply 3 of 13, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

Well, even though I found the proper Windows 95 drivers for the sound system here on Vogons, I still get conflicts with "other devices" (it either says it's conflicting with something called "Other Device or a Gameport Joystick)... What gives now?

IRQs need to be changed it sounds like.

Reply 6 of 13, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:

What does the situation look like in the Windows 95 Device Manager?
Can you change IRQ's on the Resources tab for Sound in Device Manager?

Here's what it was like.

IMG_4594_zpsop8za2hj.jpg

I changed the IRQs, DMAs, etc. to things that didn't conflict. When I restart, though, I still get no sound and all the device says is that it's disabled but shows no conflicts. The Gameport Joystick and "Other Device" drivers now show conflicts with the Opti930, however, and I can't change the Input/Output Ranges at all. It's not like I can physically remove anything, either, as everything is on-board. Even when I remove the two drivers, they're automatically installed again upon restart. Man, this is frustrating...

Reply 8 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for Windows games on modern systems. Questions about old hardware and its configuration should be asked in Marvin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 13, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Maybe this unknown device needs to be installed. It seems to be related to the soundcard itself.

If I point the unkown device to the soundcard drivers, it goes in a loop of telling me to restart my system...

Reply 10 of 13, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Note that this forum is for Windows games on modern systems. Questions about old hardware and its configuration should be asked in Marvin.

Can I possibly move this thread to there? Sorry about that.